I'm looking to purchase a JCM 800 and wanted to know if there are any tonal or general differences between the JCM800 combo or getting a JCM800 head and cab. Other than the obvious size and speaker differences, are there any other major ones?

I've noticed there is quite a difference in price.
Thanks guys!
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
The combo will have more bass but looser bass. The cab will have slightly less bass but it will sound tighter and project more directionally. The difference comes from open back vs closed back. If the cab is a 4x12 it will make up for the reduction in bass mostly but the rest will hold true.
What style of music?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In case you care about this, some people feel that combo tube amps are bad for the amps longevity. Lots of rattling when the volume gets cranked, lots of parts moving that shouldn't really be moving.

Not everyone believes the same. I don't think anyone's proven anything yet either, but there you go.
Yeah, I think it's generally bollocks myself. But...... a lot of long plate 12AX7s can have more problems with microphonics in a combo. Most (all?) of the SovTeks with old names they've acquired (Mullard, TungSol, Svetlana) and their Electro Harmonix are long plate. It's usually not much of a problem anyway really, but if a valve is prone to microphonics then it will show up in a combo first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification