I have an ESP/LTD Viper 400. and a Line 6 Spider IV 30W amp.

I have about $500 saved up, and Im wondering should i upgrade? I like my guitar, I was thinking about buying a randal stack from the 80s. (half stack, solid state) rg80es.

But then again I was thinking about upgrading my PC (only two things i do that cost money... computer and guitarlol) so im not sure... most would probably say keep saving and get a nice full tube amp... im into the crisp distortion tones u hear from some jason becker tunes, and im a fan of 80's metal too... but im really getting into classical infuenced shredding. I mean i know my amp is fine for practicing, but there is always room for upgrades.

My guitar is nice, and i like it... i think there are necks out there id like better, but my guitar is fine for me.

I know i rant too much. but should i stick with my current gear, and upgrade my pc, or get new gear, or save for better gear then i can get now??

EDIT: OR... buy a loop station pedal (which will help me with improvising which is what im working on now) it would make it easier to play backround chords, harmonies etc)

Thanks
Last edited by M41d3n4l1f3 at Aug 30, 2010,
I can't really help with specifics, but the majority of posters will say get a new amp. A small solid state like that can't really handle the active pickups in your LTD.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Although I hate it that alot of people come on her,e and jump the gun and say "GET A NEW AMP", im gonna be a hypocrite. A new amp is needed IF you're looking to do other stuff, like for example gigging. If you're not, and you play guitar at home or with friends as a hobby, then to be perfectly hnest, I would say you don't need to do anything. Both your guitar and amp are suitable for that kind of ordeal. If you're really picky, save up and get something much higher end, that way you never have to worry that your equipment isn't good enough. You've got the best you cna get then... so

Gigging = New amp, guitar should be fine.
Casual Hobby = Stay how you are, maybe save up for something you LOVE, something special for you, maybe something vintage if you're into that kind of thing
forget the 80s half stack why in the world would you want a crappy solid state amp. (not to say all solid states are crap though). i'd suggest soething like a Peavey ValveKing over a solid state stack.

as for those who seem to think that recommending an amp is somehow wrong that seems a little weird to me. i always look for the week link in the rig and suggest that be upgraded. in tis case teh guitar isn't bad but the amp could be better.
Quote by Venomtank
Although I hate it that alot of people come on her,e and jump the gun and say "GET A NEW AMP", im gonna be a hypocrite. A new amp is needed IF you're looking to do other stuff, like for example gigging. If you're not, and you play guitar at home or with friends as a hobby, then to be perfectly hnest, I would say you don't need to do anything. Both your guitar and amp are suitable for that kind of ordeal. If you're really picky, save up and get something much higher end, that way you never have to worry that your equipment isn't good enough. You've got the best you cna get then... so

Gigging = New amp, guitar should be fine.
Casual Hobby = Stay how you are, maybe save up for something you LOVE, something special for you, maybe something vintage if you're into that kind of thing

I play and practice a lot and am a serious player.. but i dont gig. Im Currently practice my ass off, and improvise a lot. a good tone is always good to have imo
Quote by M41d3n4l1f3
I play and practice a lot and am a serious player.. but i dont gig. Im Currently practice my ass off, and improvise a lot. a good tone is always good to have imo

In this case, I recommend a new amp.

However, I do not recommend that you get the Randall.

You have two options:

1. Jet City JCA20H/cab

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA20H-and-JCA12S-HalfStack?sku=584695

If you plan on just playing in your bedroom for at least a year, this would be a good choice.

It is all tube, and its 20 watts. You should be able to turn it up without the neighbors complaining.

If you need more gain from it, you can always get a boost pedal with your extra money.

2. 6505+ Combo

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp?sku=582106

If you want to gig, and plan on doing it soon enough, this amp is what you need. You can get usable bedroom tones from it at low volumes, and it is definitely loud enough for any kind of show.
I also recommend getting a nice tube combo if your wanting good tone. And your right, a good tone is always good to have. I have heard a lot of good things about the Jet City Amp, but never have been able to try one. 6505+ would also be a good amp to consider also.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
go buy
pickups
pod farm
and some upgrades for your pc
recording software/recording equipment
sound card etc
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
If your just using your guitar at home just keep using your spider, if your gigging you need a new amp. For me Guitar comes before all other hobbies including skateboarding and computers, ps3 etc... If your just practising in your house you could get some pedals like wah, phase, flanger, chorus etc... your guitar seems fine.
Quote by monwobobbo
forget the 80s half stack why in the world would you want a crappy solid state amp. (not to say all solid states are crap though). i'd suggest soething like a Peavey ValveKing over a solid state stack.

Before you go ranting about how a RANDALL ss amp is crappy and how a ValveKing would be good for his music, I suggest you read his post again. First off, Randall is the f*cking KING of SS amps. I haven't tried a ton of SS amps, but Randall makes the best ones that I've ever heard. Secondly, why on earth would you suggest a ValveKing when he wants to play metal of ANY sort?

Still, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want it to be louder, I'd suggest go with about...50W+ tube. Like a 6505 series. If you want it to be really good sounding at bedroom levels, I'd go for a Blackheart HT-5.

EDIT: Shit, it's the BlackSTAR HT-5. Sorry for the mix-up.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Sep 1, 2010,
Are you planning on ever gigging? At least in the foreseeable future?

If yes, get a decent tube combo, a Peavey or Marshall I'd say.

If not, and you're planning on staying in the bedroom, sell the Spider and invest in guitar software, like Amplitube or such. Spend the rest on a better guitar.

For bedroom playing, guitar really comes before amp; you may get a nice tone with a better amp, but if the guitar is uncomfortable or falling apart, you're not enjoying it, and defeating the purpose of the hobby.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?