I was going to buy a Shecter Damien 7 Elite this weekend but then I found out there was going to be a 15% off sale this weekend so I thought maybe I should buy a more expensive guitar while this sale is going on. I was thinking of maybe getting a Hellraiser or a Jeff Loomis signature. I dont want to spend more than 1000 bucks

Damien 7 elite- with the sale its about 470 bucks. EMG 81 and 85 7 string versions. bolt on maple neck, mahogany body

Hellraiser C-7- with sale about 725 bucks. EMG 707s. Set neck. mahogany body and neck

Loomis (not the floyd rose one) withs sale about 750 bucks. EMG 707s. Set maple neck, ash body

dont tell me to get an ibanez... the sale doesnt apply to them and id have to change the pickups if i got one anyways. and dont tell me to get a floyd rose one.
The Hellraiser and the Loomis are pretty much the same. Both are mahogany, and have the same EMG's, so they would sound very similar. The only major difference is the Loomis having a set neck, and the Hellraiser having a bolt-on neck.

Both are better than the Damien though.

You just need to decide whether you want a guitar set neck or a bolt-on neck.
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 30, 2010,
does the set neck really make that much of a difference? i only have experience playing my bolt on neck ESP.
^ Set necks are supposed to have more sustain, but if the bolt on is of high quality you won't notice the difference. Bolt on necks are easier to fix than set necks if it breaks. ^^

(Someone else please elaborate, I'm no expert.)
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Aug 30, 2010,
what makes more of a difference for sustain
Floyd rose vs. through body bridge
or
set vs. bolt on neck?
Quote by Diebymyhand
what makes more of a difference for sustain
Floyd rose vs. through body bridge
or
set vs. bolt on neck?

The through body bridge will have far more sustain than a Floyd. There won't be a huge difference between set necks and bolt ons in terms of sustain if both are done properly.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Hellraiser and loomis are the same shape but totally diffent woods!
Mahagony, Mahagony, Rosewood
Ash, Maple, Maple

They sound vastly diffrent!
I'd go for the Hellraiser.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
You should save up for one of these anyways.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The hellraiser has a set neck as does the loomis sig, personally id get the loomis 7 string, ive played the fr version and its a dream to play!!
The hellraiser wont be similar as the body is made of mahogany and the neck is 3 piece mahogany with rosewood fretboard.
And the loomis 7 is made from ash and the neck and fingerboard is maple so completly different guitars!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
honestly, with emg's, if that's what you're going for, with a different wood isn't going to have that much tonal difference..

check out agiles though, they are pretty amazing, or a Japanese Ibby
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by Diebymyhand
does the set neck really make that much of a difference? i only have experience playing my bolt on neck ESP.

The set neck makes it easier to reach the upper frets, especially with Schecter because they do a really deep contoured cutaway. If you aren’t playing above the fifteenth fret it won’t make a difference. The downside to the set neck is that if you break the neck you can’t just install a new one.
You can get a 7 or an 8 from Agile that's just as well made as a Hellraiser for about $100 less.
I may be wrong, but I believe the Loomis Sig has an inch longer scale. I've played shows with both and the Loomis signature plays much better than the Hellraiser.
Quote by TMF128
The Hellraiser and the Loomis are pretty much the same. Both are mahogany, and have the same EMG's, so they would sound very similar. The only major difference is the Loomis having a set neck, and the Hellraiser having a bolt-on neck.

Both are better than the Damien though.

You just need to decide whether you want a guitar set neck or a bolt-on neck.

I think the Loomis is ash.
Having personally tried the Loomis, I hate it for lead work. I can play fine with thick necks, but there's something about the upper register of the Loomis neck combined with the sketchy nut width that pisses me right the **** off.
Haven't tried the Hellraiser though.