I was playing around with tunings and happened upon a fairly simple blues oriented tuning that I'm enjoying. Low E stays as is, A and D are both raised 2 to B and E. The lower three strings are thus suitable for slide or thumbing. The G drops 3 to E (same as the D string), the B and high E drop two to A and D. The upper three are thus tuned as the lower strings usually are, except an octave up. This makes it simple to transfer know runs, riffs and patterns to them. Taken together you can strum a sliding 'power chord', then pick some accompanying notes up top. It seems the optimal mix since the extra tension on the lower three prevent the slide from banging the strings down to the neck, and the higher three are looser and so easier to play, and making them all a few notes higher or lower ruins one or the other set of three. It just makes for an awesome blues tuning.

I think I can already recognize the theme song to "Justified" in this. Anyone familiar with this tuning? Can you point me at any songs that use it so I can practice it with backing?
Jack White uses this tuning alot. Bob Dylan uses it sometimes, most notably on the album Blood on the Tracks. Open E tuning is nice, but I prefer Open D. Less chance of string breakage. And if you slap a capo on fret 2, voila! Open E tuning.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Quote by afterthewar
Jack White uses this tuning alot. Bob Dylan uses it sometimes, most notably on the album Blood on the Tracks. Open E tuning is nice, but I prefer Open D. Less chance of string breakage. And if you slap a capo on fret 2, voila! Open E tuning.

Open E would be E B E G# B E would it not? With E G# B E G# B being a Dobro equivalent?

This is E B E E A D. It's not open anything.
A few things I've found this works well on.

Fleetwood Mac, The Chain and Oh Well. The former makes a lot more sense in terms of fretting when tuned this way. I've played it open and it's just too inconvenient to think it was intended that way.

Sped up delta blues. You an crank this up to boogie speed and still play the lower 3 with your thumb and upper 3 using plain old pentonic and get good results quicker than strictly open. This split style of playing is almost like a duet by yourself.

Don't have cable here so I can't check on Justified's theme music, but I can darn sure play somthing (several things) a whole lot like it or just as good as.

I'm saving up for a brass body resonator. I think this is going to be my tuning for that box.

Oh yeah: Battle Of Evermore. I can do the mandolin on the upper strings in bewtween guitar chords all the way across.