I'm running a Line 6 UX2 into Reaper, using a Acer 5532 with Windows 7. I have a really annoying problem, which isn't really critical, but it really annoys me and it's hard to focus. Basically it's like a popping noise that happens at random times but very frequently. It's kind of like a clipping sound, yet there is not clipping on the track and I don't think volume affects it.

I haven't done any recording in a while, and I've forgotten whether it happens whenever I'm listening back to any recorded track or only midi tracks. But it definitely happens with midi tracks. And it is just so annoying. Has anyone had this problem before or know what it could be and how I can resolve it?

Edit: Forgot to say, it doesn't actually record to the track and when the song has been rendered there is no popping. It's only when I'm monitoring each track.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Aug 30, 2010,
I believe that's caused by your PC running out of resources. You'll want to explore ways to free up memory and/or processor availability.
I have quite a slow processor :/ That might be it then. It's a AMD Athlon dual-core 1.6GHz.

My computer was recently system restored so there is literally hardly anything on it, and the popping persists. Does this mean I won't be able to get rid of the noise?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
I guess the important thing is not showing up in the rendered product. How much memory do you have? You might consider adding more, especially if you have less than a gig.
Yeah, your computer cant keep up.

When recording with my AMD Athlon X2 7750 at 3.2 GHz dual core...with 2GB RAM....

When recording I still have 100% usage on my CPU and memory.
It REALLY taxes it..and I have a very similar setup like you. Same Recording interface too.

Upgrade your comp mate ( y )
Try to set your buffer size to a bigger size in the Midi menu of Line 6. That helped for me. No need to instantaneously upgrade your computer because of a problem that might be solved by software.
I have 3 gigs of ram, so I'm not completely lacking in ram. and I have a 160gb HDD of which I'm not using much.

I'm at my mate's house atm and so when I try to open the midi menus of line 6 it asks for my UX2 to be connected so I'll have to wait till I get home, then I'll post up my results.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
- Try adjusting the application priority to above nomal in windows.
- Try reducing the ASIO driver to normal or below normal latency.
- If it's USB device try unplugging it and putting it back in
- In your DAW (reaper, cubase etc) check out the performance monitor...if RAM and CPU utilization are both low then you can bet it's the ASIO driver/USB device not able to keep up.
- this is all assuming your're not just clipping the signal

One of these should do the trick, let me know how you get on.
Last edited by nearlyarockstar at Aug 31, 2010,
Thankyou guys so much!

Nearlyarockstar I did all of what you said, then later turned the asio driver a little smaller again. It's beautiful to hear intact synths

Also, if anyone knows any good plug ins that will work with reaper then can you link me? I've had problems with getting some plug ins to work before and I don't wanna make a new thread.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056