I'm having some trouble being able to play notes on different strings on the same fret.

Firstly, the outro solo of Fade To Black by Metallica. I barre the 12th fret on the first two strings, which obviously is pretty bad technique. How do I not barre the thing yet still be playing at speed?

--15p12------15p12--14p12--------15p12--14p12--------
-----------12----------------------12------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

Then, a sweeping part on Last Chance by Vinnie Moore. I know the part entails rolling of the finger, but the way my finger is positioned, I'm supposed to do it with my pinky finger. My pinky can't roll!

------------------------------12h16p12-----------------------
-------------------------14-------------------------------------
--------------------14------------------------------------------
----------11h14------------------------------------------------
----12----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by triface
Then, a sweeping part on Last Chance by Vinnie Moore. I know the part entails rolling of the finger, but the way my finger is positioned, I'm supposed to do it with my pinky finger. My pinky can't roll!

------------------------------12h16p12-----------------------
-------------------------14-------------------------------------
--------------------14------------------------------------------
----------11h14------------------------------------------------
----12----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Refinger it then. Move the C# to the A string 16th fret.

The Fade to Black lick is a variation on a standard blues idea; you can barre it and let the two strings ring together and it'll sound just fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
For the Fade to Black solo, you could just let it ring or do a sort of rolling motion with your index finger by letting off the B string just enough to silence it, and practice that slowly to make sure you do it right before you try to do it right at full tempo.
Sorry for the bump, but I just remembered I'm also having problems with the ending of the Sweet Child O' Mine solo. Because of the bend at the 15th fret on the B string, I can neither barre at the 12th fret nor roll. Or, once again, am I just lacking practice with the rolling?

-------------12----------------12-------------------------
---15b17-------15p12-----------15p12---15b17----
----------------------------14-----------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: On another note, I use my index, middle and ring finger to play this because my pinky is not strong enough to bend the B string up.
Last edited by triface at Sep 2, 2010,
You can try bend the string down if that helps,

Wait.... Is does bending the string matter which direction? I never thought it does?
Quote by bloppyblue
Any tips on doing this with power chords?

2 strings down, 2 frets down,

or 2 strings up, 2 frets up

Are the same notes

I forget the 1 string down one, I tihnk it's 5 or 7 frets I can't remember sorry. and don't have my guitar atm
Quote by triface
Sorry for the bump, but I just remembered I'm also having problems with the ending of the Sweet Child O' Mine solo. Because of the bend at the 15th fret on the B string, I can neither barre at the 12th fret nor roll. Or, once again, am I just lacking practice with the rolling?

-------------12----------------12-------------------------
---15b17-------15p12-----------15p12---15b17----
----------------------------14-----------------------------

Edit: On another note, I use my index, middle and ring finger to play this because my pinky is not strong enough to bend the B string up.

I'd replace the 12th fret on the high E string with the 17th fret on the B string. The two notes are the same and it'll be much easier to play that way.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
if I need to do that Ill just find the same note on another string that is closer