because people are assholes and try to dictate what people should listen to, or what people think is "better" than other things. people are only better than others if you prefer them over someone else. i actually like every person in that title, a lot (rusty cooley being my favorite).
people will think i say that because i am unintelligent, and i think the faster the better, because it is true that he is faster than the others, but i personally like his playing style, scales he uses, and all that crap. so in my OPINION, rusty is better, but whoever you like is better for you, and if anyone tries to tel you different, then you have every right to tell them to **** off.

does that make any sense?
im always a fan of versatility so that guy is pretty good. but i cannot identify with his playing so he is not the best to me.
Guthrie seems to have a much more relaxed and creative approach that people like John Petrucci. I hate watching Petrucci solo live and how he has to lean over his amp and his whole body looks so tense and strained.
Also his phrasing is more varied than Yngwie and Rusty Cooley, and he seems to show more interest in playing groove and melody than those guys. Rusty Cooley just vomits up notes like he's afraid that people will forget that he can shred if he's not doing it constantly.
If you think playing music is about playing notes as fast as you possibly can than Rusty is your man, but from what I've seen he mainly just sits in his computer room playing against bad backing tracks.
Let's not forget that Guthrie's technique is just as amazing, and perhaps even more varied, than all those guys mentioned, so it's not like he plays slow or anything.
he is better than them in terms of technique and in my opinion he is more creative, has better phrasing, and the coolest hair
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
What makes him so great is that he is incredibly versatile, he can play in any style rather authentically, his technique is ridiculous and his phrasing is fantastic.

He makes even the most complicated and furious lines sound catchy and MUSICAL! But what really set's him apart is that his ability to improvise is miles above any of the current virtuoso's of today, he has utter freedom on the instrument.
Quote by qtx232
if he is indeed better?

He can play all of their stuff and more with ease and still has his own style.

Try asking Rusty Cooley to play like Ry Cooder

And he's English. Anyone who lives less than 2 hours from me is automatically more awesome.

Edit:

MOAR JAMZ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12pIcYoKAc&NR=1
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 31, 2010,
He's alot more versatile, technically and phrasing wise.

All those players do they're own genre well but Guthrie is good at everything. Maybe he isn't mindblowingly awesome in any specific genre but in terms of overall mastery of the guitar, he is probably the best out there at the moment.
Guthries is really a genius gin what he does, it's very versatile and has an impeccable technique. And has the ability to emulate a variety of styles from different guitar heros without losing his own.

And just following the other topic imo faster isnt better... the feeling it's everything. i prefer one David Gilmore rather than a thousand malmsteens
Govan is technically flawless, but I find him boring as hell to listen to. But then, I like Batio whilst others loathe him. In fact, I like all those guys listed in the title more than Govan. It's alllllllll personal preference.
Last edited by DaFjory at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He can play all of their stuff and more with ease and still has his own style.

Try asking Rusty Cooley to play like Ry Cooder

And he's English. Anyone who lives less than 2 hours from me is automatically more awesome.

Edit:

MOAR JAMZ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12pIcYoKAc&NR=1

So where does Mr. Zaphod live?

I may just have to pay a visit. >.>

God I want to meet Guthrie.

I want to be his Jason Becker! Without the ALS.
Quote by severed-metal
So where does Mr. Zaphod live?

I may just have to pay a visit. >.>

God I want to meet Guthrie.

I want to be his Jason Becker! Without the ALS.

I live in a crappy little place called Mistley, about half an hour away from Colchester in the south east of good ol' Britain.

I've met Guthrie once and seen him a few times, if you can ever afford it I suggest you go to one of his shows at the Bassment in Chelmsford, if you haven't seen him do what he does live you can't really appreciate exactly how good he is. And he's also really nice and humble, he signed my copy of his album

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Mind you, I'd have to move across the seas.

Err, but honestly. As long as I don't die in the next 10-20 years, I'll make it over there sometime.

Is he a cool guy?

EDIT: Answered my question.

What did you talk with him about? Like, what's going through his head when he's playing something like Waves?
Quote by severed-metal
Mind you, I'd have to move across the seas.

Err, but honestly. As long as I don't die in the next 10-20 years, I'll make it over there sometime.

Is he a cool guy?

EDIT: Answered my question.

What did you talk with him about? Like, what's going through his head when he's playing something like Waves?

I didn't think you lived in the UK, got a bit confused for a minute

To be honest we didn't talk very long at all, it was in the interval at a Bassment gig New Years year before last. Not only that but I was having something of a fanboy moment and couldn't really think straight; I said some stuff about loving the album, asked him to sign it and then asked him if he was going to tour the album material soon. He was really cool about it, thanked me for the compliments and for listening to his stuff and explained that he would tour the material if people would book him over here and he wasn't busy, touring being the monster that it is.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.