hey UG i always see players like john butler,jack johnson, xavier rudd, ben harper etc. playing acoustic electrics through tube amps but when i did this with my gibson dual pickup guitar similar to the pickup system most of them use i got crazy feedback. ive checked their rigs and i dont see a noise reducer anywhere so how are they able to do this?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
The noise gate is probably in a rack somewhere. Don't take this as gospel, it's really just a guess, but I think it's a good one.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
im not sure about that. with the exception of john butler all the other guys dont use racks at all.
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Chances are they run their acoustic DI into the PA system.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I've played my Takamine through my Valveking on the clean setting, it does ok, but if your too close you'll get an excessive string vibration, which a notch filter helps with, but yeah, not really meant for acoustic guitars.

If you run an acoustic through a distorted channel on a electric guitar amp, then yeah, you'll get so really bad feed back, why, idk, you just do, so don't do it.
Probably better off getting an amp made for acoustic. I was reading the latest edition of Guitar Player today and read a review on a New Roland (I think) acoustic amp for around $400. Sounded like a great deal for what it does.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
yeah the ac-90 i have one that i run with my gibby now. i was just wondering if it could be done with tubes cause i miss the warmth.
roland AC90

John Butler plays his (mainly) Maton acoustics through a Marshall head - although he has a couple of pickups in the signal path - one for acoustic sounds and the other to achieve the electric tones.
Here's more detail: http://www.guitartoneoverload.com/2010/07/16/guitarists-the-tone-of-john-butler/

Kurt Cobain's acoustic tone for the Unplugged session was achieved by plugging his Martin into a modded Twin Reverb.

I've played an acoustic through a regular tube amp couple of times live and the easiest thing I found to combat the feedback was a combination of distance from the amp and (in lieu of a soundhole plug) an old CD taped over the hole. Not perfect, but it did the trick.
I prefer to DI wherever possible.
Cover your sound hole.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Skagasm
yeah the ac-90 i have one that i run with my gibby now. i was just wondering if it could be done with tubes cause i miss the warmth.

Ohh, I didn't know that you had one. If I may ask, do you like it? I was wondering if it would be a good buy. It seemed like it.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
it is a very good amp for the one man band it has a guitar channel and a mic channel which both sound very natural. my only complaint is the on bored effects effect both mic and guitar and their is no footswitchable options. it is very very loud and natural i love it but i miss the tube warmth tbh
roland AC90

I love how my acoustic sounds through my amp, very warm and rich. I combat the feedback with t shirts stuffed in the guitar
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}