Page 1 of 2
I was driving home from Florida this weekend and in southern Georgia, I saw this on a billboard:

At what point is it just too much? When did they stop actually telling people about the actual dangers of drugs instead of just blatantly putting propaganda everywhere? Even when they tell you the "actual" dangers, they're completely biased. What about the REAL reasons not to do drugs? The whole "synthetic happiness won't make you happy long term, those chemicals in your brain have a certain balance for a reason so quit fucking with them" thing? In fact, I've never heard that argument from an anti-drug campaign and it's one of the most sensible ones, in my opinion.

At some point people are just going to look at this stuff and say "Oh that's obviously bullshit" and then just be even more likely to go do meth or something.

Why the hell do they even care what people wanna put into their bodies anyway? Just make it legal and tax them. I don't smoke or anything, I don't even particularly like drinking, but I don't give a shit if everyone else wants to do it. It's just piety for the sake of piety, and it's not even doing any good.

tl;dr: anti-drug campaigns are getting progressively more retarded.

At what point is it just too much?
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
That one is definitely too much. It's total fear-mongering bullshit. Nothing educational about it at all.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Wanna have sex with a bear? You would if you were on meth.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
There's a bunch of those around there. There is one on US-1 that shows a sink with a razorblade and a bunch of blood with quote "Nobody thinks they will try and remove their own skin. Meth will change that."
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
it is over the top but actually hitting the heart strings of people is a lot more productive than pure facts and big words.

which is obviously the point of these crazy ad campaigns.
Is it educational? no. Does it make people think? yes. That's the point of these ads, they are to scare people into not doing drugs. It might not be the most effective way but it can work.

Edit: What I don't understand is that you said you saw this is Georgia but it's from the Montana Meth Project.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Aug 30, 2010,
You know, once I watched Elmo's World on meth...

Oh wait, I was eating Mini Wheats. But my point still stands.
Not many people care about the effects of alcohol until they see an accident due to drunk driving and whatnot. It is the same thing, it is to scare people into not doing it.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
HAHAHAHA that sir is the funniest billboard ive ever seen!!!!!!

at first i didnt read any word in your post and just looked at the picture, i thought it was fake, but its not! DDDDDDD funniest shit ive seen in a while
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
they do it because it's the easiest way to get the message across that meth will **** your life up on a billboard
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It's actually not enough. How is someone driving 40-60mph supposed to see those white letters on the white walls? Someone should fire the graphic designer. F*cking idiot.
That looks like an ad for meth.

But yeah. Based on private conversations, those who want to do certain drugs will go out and do them, unless they're in a social position which should be changed around but would exist no matter what drugs were available to them, including alcohol. And drugs are still easy to get. Waste of money to me.
Quote by metaldud536
It's actually not enough. How is someone driving 40-60mph supposed to see those white letters on the white walls? Someone should fire the graphic designer. F*cking idiot.

You know, sometimes I wonder that myself.
So, if I do meth, then I'll lose my virginity?

SCOOOOOORE!!!!
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Well Meth is just a combination of battery acid and other things that no sensible person would put in there body ever. Not to mention it can cause an explosion if you mix it wrong. That's kind of why it's illegal.

As for the ridiculous ad campaign, I think it's a terrible idea.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by rhcpjhlz
There's a bunch of those around there. There is one on US-1 that shows a sink with a razorblade and a bunch of blood with quote "Nobody thinks they will try and remove their own skin. Meth will change that."

I thought that was acid and pcp.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Well, that billboard tells the truth. That has happened. So it couldn't possibly be over the top.

It's pretty tame, compared to 60's drug propaganda.
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

This isn't normal, but on meth it is.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
This isn't normal, but on meth it is.

I remember that thread.

We watched some of those Montana Meth things in my health class last year. It's just propaganda to scare people out of doing it.

And they constantly bring people into school to give us that bullshit "drugs are evil and kill you and you should never ever do them or you'll be an idiot and die" speech. Why can't they just explain what the drugs do that actually makes them dangerous, instead of just reading some propaganda off of a card.
in a way, it sort of sparks my curiosity. i've never done drugs but who knows...
oh and i dont mean the op billboard
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Ganoosh

Why the hell do they even care what people wanna put into their bodies anyway? Just make it legal and tax them. I don't smoke or anything, I don't even particularly like drinking, but I don't give a shit if everyone else wants to do it. It's just piety for the sake of piety, and it's not even doing any good.

I normally would go with this argument too, but in the case of hard drugs, people will go to any lengths to get their hands on them, which makes them a danger to themselves AND everyone around them.
...Drugs aren't going away. A billboard won't change that.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Fear is a powerful motivator, TS. Drugs make you do weird things. If you point out those weird or horrible things that happen on drugs, teenagers (who are generally the target of most drug dealers, due to the fact that, if they can get a teen hooked, they can sell to that teen for years, potentially) might be scared and go, "Shit, maybe I shouldn't do Meth".

But I would definitely say that the ad in the OP is targeting young teenage girls. Most girls prolly want to lose their virginity in a "good" situation and with a person they trust. (Not that I advocate sex before marriage, but that's a different issue.) My point is that a lot of these ads are meant to scare young teens into not wanting to try drugs. You remember fear when you're at the parties; you may not remember facts.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 31, 2010,
This kind of thing is completely counter-productive. There are reasons not to do meth, but exaggerating them to the point of blatantly obvious scaremongering are more likely to make people dismiss them IMO.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Ganoosh
When did they stop actually telling people about the actual dangers of drugs instead of just blatantly putting propaganda everywhere?

Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Last edited by Putrefaction at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Well Meth is just a combination of battery acid and other things that no sensible person would put in there body ever. Not to mention it can cause an explosion if you mix it wrong. That's kind of why it's illegal.

As for the ridiculous ad campaign, I think it's a terrible idea.

That's not exactly the chemistry of it. It's not like you just put a big pot over a fire and just start throwing in the ingredients for a meth stew.

I don't get it. These companies, they encourage the consumption of alcohol but they tell you "don't drink and drive". Why isn't it the same for meth? Because they don't benefit from the sales?

barf.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze

I don't get it. These companies, they encourage the consumption of alcohol but they tell you "don't drink and drive". Why isn't it the same for meth? Because they don't benefit from the sales?

Alcohol companies tell you not to drink and drive so that victims of drunk driving don't sue the company. It's only liability.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
It's only alcohol companies that tell you not to drink and drive?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
These billboards are always going too far, there was one near my house that said in massive letters "HAVING SEX? DO IT LONGER". They then had to put a censored sticker over the SEX which made it even funnier.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
In all fairness Meth is one of the biggest problems in the state of Georgia...that and obesity.
Quote by SmoothTrooper
i wake up every morning with a stiffy that could dent an Oldsmobile...and i know that everything is a-ok.

Quote by whatamidoinhere
Maybe we should have some kind of naked UG get together...

Imagine how horrifying that would be
Quote by MetalliPuptmstr
In all fairness Meth is one of the biggest problems in the state of Georgia...that and obesity.

wat.

Anyway, i know a ton of people who use meth. It is the most dangerous drug out there, and i've seen it all. it's pretty depressing...
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by Ganoosh

The problem is all the money the government has to spend on them. Plus people are more useful when they're not drug addicts.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by UraniYum
Well, that billboard tells the truth. That has happened. So it couldn't possibly be over the top.

It's pretty tame, compared to 60's drug propaganda.

yup.

Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Quote by meta1militia
wat.

Anyway, i know a ton of people who use meth. It is the most dangerous drug out there, and i've seen it all. it's pretty depressing...

Obviously you've never taken obesity.
Quote by meta1militia
wat.

It may be a dangerous drug but I wouldn't call it the MOST dangerous. Opiates such as heroin have a much higher dependency rate and therefore lead to more overdoses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_dependence#Addictive_Potential
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Page 1 of 2