Hi all,
I've been debating whether or not to anchor, and am finally in the position to choose once and for all. I've seen videos of Micheal play anchoring. For me anchoring is natural but is a boundary in building speed. where as not anchoring is slightly awkward. which should i do if players like Micheal can build that such speed should i stick to anchoring and develop it?
thanks bobby,
Depends if down the road you want to unlearn a bad technique. If youre going to play Sea Of Lies and never play again... do it.
If you're going to continue playing... DONT
Quote by Bobby2001
so don't anchor then?
-bobby

No...debating whether or not to anchor is like debating whether or not to stab yourself in the eye with a sharp stick.
No...debating whether or not to anchor is like debating whether or not to stab yourself in the eye with a sharp stick.

Exactly.

It limits your hand movement, and if you need more controll over your playing, it means that your not very efficient in your playing, which is a big thing when dealing with speed.

Also, what are you going to do when the tapping hits? You need to lift your anchor, and then replace it after the section, which can throw off your hand position.
If you think Anchoring will help you in the long run, go for it. Anchoring is neither bad or good. It helps some, doesn't help others. If you anchor, you'll be able to shred just fine. I'm quite sure that MAB, Petrucci and Govan will agree with that. As for the whole thing with the Tapping throwing off your hand position, that can be dealt with with controlled practice. It's no big problem. I'm sure if MJR can do it, you can too with proper work.
Quote by yearzero

Wow, that's a bit drastic.
Overreact much?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
ive never seen how anchoring had its downsides, i dont anchor but i cant see how it would make you shtty-er. it cant be bad if a lot of great guitarplayers do it, but all of you leet gootar players in your bedrooms know much more then them....right?