Hey guys.

I've been playing bass for a while now and I'd like to learn Electric Guitar too.

I'd like something relatively versatile, something to learn on.

I think I'd say £400 maximum, but recommend anything really.
And if you can, recommend a good relatively small/cheap amp.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.
-DreadAlert-
400 combined between amp and guitar?

Also, location, new or used, what genre?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Well, try to keep the amp under £100. And the guitar £400 or less.

Preferably new.
Genre: Anything really.. I like alot of metal, but then again John Frusciante is my favourite guitarist..
cant get any more versatile then a strat. go for a squier vintage modified or classic vibe, and a peavey vypyr 15.

your all set for blues, jazz, rock, metal or anything else you can think of.
ive said it before and ill say it again- if you think youre alive then youre better off dead. lol
but no really Fender guitars=/=good hard rock or metal sound
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Well I could afford a Fender MIM Tele or Strat.
And I love both of them really. Wish they made a cheaper Jaguar.
Get an Ibanez Gio, they're making some very cool and cheap guitars now, and they even look like the higher end models. Some come with a cheap 15w amp, but you could buy something. I'd recommend a Roland Cube, as they are quality amps man, not so pricy

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Maybe a MIM Strat? Or, take a look and Rondomusic.com at the Agile guitars. Have heard a lot of good things about them. You can find Valveking 112's for pretty good prices used.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Is there much difference between the a Tele and a Strat?

Just wondering because I'm not a huge fan of the Telecaster looks.
Quote by DreadAlert

Teles are a lot more twangier than a strat. I would go with a HSS MIM Strat. Since your playing metal you definatly want that humbucker for your more distorted tones, and you can have your neck pickup for your Fruciante (butchered that) type tones. But most of your tone will come from your amp. I would try and find a used Strat and a used amp. Try and bump up your amp budget a little more.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Go to Ebay and get an excellent condition Roland Cube 30X. It's a fantastic amp and will cost no more than £100 - possibly a bit less. For a guitar, just get a Yamaha Pacifica 112 as it's very versatile and easy to play. You'll get a new one for only £200 or get the new Pacifica 212 for about £280. If you want to use the money saved to upgrade pickups you'll have that choice but either way it's a great guitar. A few months ago 'Guitarist' magazine featured it in their article '50 Guitars To Play Before You Die'.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
There's no reason you should buy an amp new, really. Find a used Peavey Vypyr 15, won't be too much.

Also, go with the HSS Strat. For the same price as a used one you can get it, a very nice guitar that'll last you a good long time, or some shitty guitar. It's not that hard of a decision.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
if you play a lot of metal you're really going to want a bridge humbucker...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an ibanez gio and there very average get a pacifica or a copy brand like arai or tokai.
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
ive said it before and ill say it again- if you think youre alive then youre better off dead. lol
but no really Fender guitars=/=good hard rock or metal sound

Iron Maiden begs to differ.
Ibanez RG with SDBlackouts
Epiphone SG with SD SH1 59/SH4 JB

Fender Blues Jr.
Fender G-DEC 30

Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Get a washburn X50 for 350 quid with EMGs.

Quote by colgo889
Iron Maiden begs to differ.

So do Slipknot, Metallica, Stone Sour oh and this lil guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCK7oHgmv7M
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Last edited by adj209 at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
Fender guitars=/=good hard rock or metal sound

Not really. The player defines the versatility of their gear.

Id say a H-S-S Strat and a Roland Cube.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by Doadman
Go to Ebay and get an excellent condition Roland Cube 30X. It's a fantastic amp and will cost no more than £100 - possibly a bit less. For a guitar, just get a Yamaha Pacifica 112 as it's very versatile and easy to play. You'll get a new one for only £200 or get the new Pacifica 212 for about £280. If you want to use the money saved to upgrade pickups you'll have that choice but either way it's a great guitar. A few months ago 'Guitarist' magazine featured it in their article '50 Guitars To Play Before You Die'.

+3.14
Yamaha Pacificas are great guitars.

A Yamaha Pacifica or a Stratocaster (Fender or Squier) with a HSS pickup setup would be perfect.
As far as amps go, both a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr would be excellent choices (especially the 30 watt versions).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
ugh not this shit again. people really need to make clear whether they're talking about vintage spec fenders or modern.

Can you play anything on a vintage spec strat or tele? Well, you can, but the low output pickups (more a problem on the strat), vintage radius and 21 frets will hold you back a bit. Can you play anything on a modern spec fender? Sure, especially if it's an HSS or HSH strat. Maiden, Slipknot etc. might be using Fenders, but they're heavily modified Fenders with high output pickups (usually humbuckers or single-coil-sized humbuckers), flat modern fingerboard radiii, 22 or 24 frets, etc. etc.

So, er, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Doadman

+1
Cool, I'll get that amp and probably the 112 pacifica.

Thanks for the help guys.
Quote by adj209
Get a washburn X50 for 350 quid with EMGs.

So do Slipknot, Metallica, Stone Sour oh and this lil guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCK7oHgmv7M

jim root plays a custom fender with emgs and mick plays an ibanez. kirk and james both play ESP, and the other guitarist in stone sour (not jim root) plays ibanez. oh and trivium- no fender- all that remains- no fender- Lamb of God play Jackson and ESP- i could go on for days how many metal bands dont use fenders
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Quote by DreadAlert

Definitely a lot of difference. Teles are a lot brighter and twangier on their bridge and quite warm on their neck. Have quite a lot of versatility in them. You can play basically anything you want on one except metal.

Strats; well they offer a lot of versatility as well with their three pickups. Good for classic rock, jazz and blues. I'd think that teles are better for blues though. Also, strats are worse if you like playing with distortion as the three pickups generate a lot of unwated buzz. Kind of annoying.

I'd go for a mim tele with that budget and maybe a vox or mashall amp with that budget. But that's just me.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S