Page 1 of 2
DISCLAIMER: THIS THREAD IS FLAME-PROOF.

So I've been looking into it and I've been thinking and I've decided that, although I am enamored with it, I do not really need a warm, tube amp sound for everyday use. SO with that in mind, I come to a fork in the road: which of the crappy amps should I have?

1) keep the Marshall MG100HDFX I have now
OR
2) trade it in and get a Dean Dime D100 amp (these are relatively new)

So I know one of the first responses is going to be "if you want dime sound get Randall RG100" but no the only way thatll happen is if i get mo money, mo money and pay an arm and a leg for shipping. Also, its not about the dime sound. I want to experiment, see what its like from a new amp. But I want to know if this amp sucks so bad that its not even worth looking into. Ive seen a few videos, and it sounds pretty cool. What do you think?
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
options a and b are pretty terrible tbh. the dean amp is just another excuse for dean to make money off yet another shitty dimebag product. sell the mg and look at a peavy vyper. orrrrrrr budget?
closest city?
genre?(guessing pantera stuff)
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
options a and b are pretty terrible tbh. the dean amp is just another excuse for dean to make money off yet another shitty dimebag product. sell the mg and look at a peavy vyper. orrrrrrr budget?
closest city?
genre?(guessing pantera stuff)

im not looking for a cureall, never buy another amp kinda thing. I got tons of time and tons of years to get the perfect thing. As far as budget, due to a recent change in management where I work, I'm barely getting any money because the new person in charge refuses to schedule people who have worked there the longest (no clue why)
im in Dallas proper and theres 2 guitar centers that I know of, as well as numerous smaller guitar shops.
Genre? Yea, I like Pantera, but I like alot of other things too. Ive been bouncing around Pantera, Vampire Weekend, Buckethead and GNR alot recently, but I play alot more than that when the thought comes to mind

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
what is your budget oh and just so you know you have proved my suggestion to be a good one you said pantera-cranked up metal amp/ guns n roses- hot rod marshall/ vampire weekend- fender clean. so pretty much sounds like you need yourself a vyper
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

do they make that in a head style?

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

i believe they only have the tube vyper as a head which may be out of your budget but if you were planning on keeping the mg speakers......dont do it they are awful sell those and get the 60watt tube combo.

here is the tube head
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-120H-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=582107
roland AC90

If, say, I did get either of the head options (other than the MG100 that i have now), I probably wouldnt have money left over for a new cab. Would the MG412 work as a temporary unit? It doesnt have any switches for ohms in the back which I assume wont be a problem, but will the cab work as a placeholder?

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

hmmm maybe we can get someone else in here to answer that cause im not to fond of stack to be honest. so i wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice with ohms and what not. i honestly think if you sold head and cab you could get a kick ass tube combo which would be louder than your stack and easier to carry around, might be heavier but alot more portable.
roland AC90

I fear this may test your thread's flame shields to the limit, but since it seems you're not hung up on valves have you considered the Ibanez TBX series? To be honest I think they're one of the best low budget blasters on the market. They're a fairly simple setup without any onboard fx but you can get a huge variety of tones from them and they offer one of the most savage high gain sounds I've heard. I've written a fairly detailed review for u-g if you're interested.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/ibanez/tbx150h/index.html
Are you in the US?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEG-VH-140C-COMBO-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-AMPEG-VH140C-/230517189485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35abe52b6d

Doitdoitdoit.

Dean are terrible terrible people. Using a dead guys name to shift there less than mediocre overpriced shit.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by beckyjc
Are you in the US?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEG-VH-140C-COMBO-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-AMPEG-VH140C-/230517189485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35abe52b6d

Doitdoitdoit.

Dean are terrible terrible people. Using a dead guys name to shift there less than mediocre overpriced shit.

+1

You know it's bad when the original founder (Dean B. Zelinski) leaves the company TWICE because he's sick of their shit.

Also go for the Ampeg, it's a very great amp. Pretty much one of the best SS amps ever made.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Dude people really aren't kidding when they say both choices really are shit, Dean and MG series for evident series.

Vypyrs can emulate the Pantera tone way better for that price given they have a Krankenstein channel and if you have patience you can find the sweet spot.

as stated the TBX is great value for money, so i'd vouch on that over your 2 choices..
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Last edited by adj209 at Aug 31, 2010,
Just out of interest has anyone actually played one of these "Dime" amps or are you all just blasting them because of the name on them and the fact they're solid state? Can't speak for them myself...
Im not blasting them because theyre solid state. And no I havent played one.

But its pretty safe to assume theyre the product of corporate whoring and capitaliziation, courtesy of Rita, how can she have that little respect for a man she loved?

Though the sound quality is debatable. The guy that made dimes randall Rg100es head worked on it. And from clips it does seem to nail dimes tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMc8e1yvfHY&feature=player_embedded
Skip to the end where he plays walk. 43 seconds.

To be fair, why would you want to nail his tone to begin with. The fact that it has DIME plastered all over it just makes me raeg.

Ampeg VH anyday plz.
^ She would get it.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by beckyjc
Are you in the US?

Doitdoitdoit.

Big +1 to this. That Ampeg is such a badass amp
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by beckyjc
Im not blasting them because theyre solid state. And no I havent played one.

But its pretty safe to assume theyre the product of corporate whoring and capitaliziation, courtesy of Rita, how can she have that little respect for a man she loved?

Though the sound quality is debatable. The guy that made dimes randall Rg100es head worked on it. And from clips it does seem to nail dimes tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMc8e1yvfHY&feature=player_embedded
Skip to the end where he plays walk. 43 seconds.

To be fair, why would you want to nail his tone to begin with. The fact that it has DIME plastered all over it just makes me raeg.

Ampeg VH anyday plz.

I can't say I'm overly impressed with the idea or marketing scheme either, or Dime's tone for that matter, but I think everyone can see where I was coming from...
I'll +1 that Ampeg too.
What's your overall budget TS? The used market is your best friend here if you can't stretch above the price of the MG/Dime.
I have heard quite a few sound clips on the Dime amp (not just you tube).
It's NOT that bas of an amp. The cleans are pretty nice, and you can dial in a good tone (not just Dime's tone by a LONG shot).
If one of your local stores has one, go and play it for a while (not just 5 minutes, spend some time to find a tone YOU like) THEN decide.
Hell some of the complaints about the quality of this amp and/or it's tone are strictly based on a pre-conceived perception of what it will sound like just because it is inexpensive, and has Dime's name on it (Dean cashing in).
You can pop the nameplate off it it's THAT much of a concern....play it and see if YOU like it.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
If you want dime's pantera tone...look for a used solid state randall instead of buying an amp he had nothing to do with. Honestly...I see no possible way that a used SS randall is going to cost you anymore than the 'Dime' amp would.

EDIT: that ampeg is a good choice too
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Vinson
I have heard quite a few sound clips on the Dime amp (not just you tube).
It's NOT that bas of an amp. The cleans are pretty nice, and you can dial in a good tone (not just Dime's tone by a LONG shot).
If one of your local stores has one, go and play it for a while (not just 5 minutes, spend some time to find a tone YOU like) THEN decide.
Hell some of the complaints about the quality of this amp and/or it's tone are strictly based on a pre-conceived perception of what it will sound like just because it is inexpensive, and has Dime's name on it (Dean cashing in).
You can pop the nameplate off it it's THAT much of a concern....play it and see if YOU like it.

About the DIME name thing which, apparently, is a big deal: Ive always played my amps/cabs with the names covered in black tape. No one would see the big ol DIME plastered on it. Im not looking for EXACTLY dimes tone, but it would be cool to have that as an option. I like his tone, but i want to tweak it to my preference. As far as they sound, I think it sounds cool. And another incentive for it is that I got a gc gift card as a many months belated bday present so that makes the pocket pay even less

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Johansensan
Ive seen a few videos, and it sounds pretty cool. What do you think?

So what's the problem? You just decided that because you think it sounds good you're going to ask other people if it sounds good and then go from there?

bleh..

The Ampeg 140h is amazing. If I could find one that cheap when I was looking for an amp, then I would have.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I like Pantera too, but I really hate Dimes tone, if only he used a Peavey 6505, them more people would respect him instead of bash him for awful tone.

The Dime amp is, at best, a remake of the MG with a different name and brand. The actual amp that Dimebag used is actually a very nice solid state amp, Phycostick uses the same amp, Randall Warhead, and I love their tone.

I would go for a Randall Warhead.
Quote by Johansensan
About the DIME name thing which, apparently, is a big deal: Ive always played my amps/cabs with the names covered in black tape. No one would see the big ol DIME plastered on it. Im not looking for EXACTLY dimes tone, but it would be cool to have that as an option. I like his tone, but i want to tweak it to my preference. As far as they sound, I think it sounds cool. And another incentive for it is that I got a gc gift card as a many months belated bday present so that makes the pocket pay even less

1.) Just unscrew it?
2.) You can draw "M4rshal" on your amp and it won't change shit.
3.) Really?
4.) If you like the amp, and you have a GC gift card, then why are you asking us?

Personally, I think you should go for Peavey Vypyr Tube. I think they have them at GC
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
1.) Just unscrew it?
2.) You can draw "M4rshal" on your amp and it won't change shit.
3.) Really?
4.) If you like the amp, and you have a GC gift card, then why are you asking us?

Personally, I think you should go for Peavey Vypyr Tube. I think they have them at GC

Im asking because I dont want to go to GC, trade in, drop the card and the cash for an amp that doesnt hold up to how id perceived it

and the name part i only mentioned beause it seemed like people were saying dont get it on the basis that his name was on it

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Johansensan
Im asking because I dont want to go to GC, trade in, drop the card and the cash for an amp that doesnt hold up to how id perceived it

and the name part i only mentioned beause it seemed like people were saying dont get it on the basis that his name was on it

Well, I still stand behind the Peavey Vypyr 60w tube combo.

Not sure if you can get one in store. Maybe trade your amp in at GC, and take that money plus your gift card and buy it off their site?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Well, I still stand behind the Peavey Vypyr 60w tube combo.

Not sure if you can get one in store. Maybe trade your amp in at GC, and take that money plus your gift card and buy it off their site?

but shipping.... its like sacrificing your left nut to the FedEx gods

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Johansensan
but shipping.... its like sacrificing your left nut to the FedEx gods

Bite the bullet and go UPS, unless GC doesn't ship with them. In which case, just go with FedEx! That extra money goes toward the FedEx crew's time it takes to pamper your amp. Whereas the UPS guys practice their Liu Kang flying kicks on your packages.

UPS is cheaper if you can, and I doubt some SS amp is gonna blow up in transit to your place... If it was a tube amp, I would definitely go with FedEx though.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Bite the bullet and go UPS, unless GC doesn't ship with them. In which case, just go with FedEx! That extra money goes toward the FedEx crew's time it takes to pamper your amp. Whereas the UPS guys practice their Liu Kang flying kicks on your packages.

UPS is cheaper if you can, and I doubt some SS amp is gonna blow up in transit to your place... If it was a tube amp, I would definitely go with FedEx though.

"flying kicks on your packages"
ha... goes with the sacrificing the left nut comment

ill have to see how much shipping is with both. Its not the damage/care im concerned about, money is tight right now (meaning i have $14.89 cash to my name) and until i get another paycheck (with maybe $50 in it) and get more hours at work money will be this tight for the forseeable future

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Johansensan
"flying kicks on your packages"
ha... goes with the sacrificing the left nut comment

ill have to see how much shipping is with both. Its not the damage/care im concerned about, money is tight right now (meaning i have $14.89 cash to my name) and until i get another paycheck (with maybe $50 in it) and get more hours at work money will be this tight for the forseeable future

Well, what's the hurry if money is tight? Can't wait and save up?

I understand what it feels like to get some money in your pocket and wanting to go out and spend it immediately...

Unless you have gigs coming up or something, you might as well save up your cash.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Well, what's the hurry if money is tight? Can't wait and save up?

I understand what it feels like to get some money in your pocket and wanting to go out and spend it immediately...

Unless you have gigs coming up or something, you might as well save up your cash.

one of the guys i jam with the most and might be doing some gigs with soon is movin in about a month and a half so im trying to get as much good jamming in/decent gigging in before he packs up

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

When it get's down to it all you're doing is side stepping. Just save up for something decent like the aforementioned tube Vypyr or the Ampeg Becky posted. What's your overall budget? You'd probably be able to find something that shits all over what you want on your craigslist.
I used to own a Dime D100... For about a week. I sent it back because it blew dogs for quarters. It was quiet for 120 watts, didn't have a whole ton of gain, looked like crap, and the sound quality is pretty weak even for a solid state. I shipped it back and bought a Ibanez Toneblaster TBX150H and it destroys all. I expected to pay a lot more the amp but its only $250. I run it through a Birch 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's and I got friends with Dual Rectifiers and 5150's trying to keep up with my amount of gain. The amp hisses a little bit, but I also have a mid boost so that ads too it.

Basically the amp is amazing and with the money you saved on getting it, you can buy a noise gate and be set for life. Not really because I do advise eventually working your way up to a tube amp, but logically you can't lose with this amp. And the D100 doesn't even have Dime's tone. I threw a boost and a 30 band rack EQ at it and it still couldn't get heavy enough for me.
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
pm'd
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by xXBansheeXx
I used to own a Dime D100... For about a week. I sent it back because it blew dogs for quarters. It was quiet for 120 watts, didn't have a whole ton of gain, looked like crap, and the sound quality is pretty weak even for a solid state. I shipped it back and bought a Ibanez Toneblaster TBX150H and it destroys all. I expected to pay a lot more the amp but its only $250. I run it through a Birch 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's and I got friends with Dual Rectifiers and 5150's trying to keep up with my amount of gain. The amp hisses a little bit, but I also have a mid boost so that ads too it.

Basically the amp is amazing and with the money you saved on getting it, you can buy a noise gate and be set for life. Not really because I do advise eventually working your way up to a tube amp, but logically you can't lose with this amp. And the D100 doesn't even have Dime's tone. I threw a boost and a 30 band rack EQ at it and it still couldn't get heavy enough for me.

What settings are you using for the TBX? I have a TBX 150 combo, and I have to say, I'm not that impressed with it yet.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
I dont know why everyone's bashing the Dime amp...I just bought one, and I dont see how one of the previous guys said its not loud. I got the thing on pretty much 2 and its loud as shit...The tone is pretty close to Dime's if you mess with it enough and its overall a decent solid state amp, and the cleans are amazing for a solid state...who gives a rats ass what logo is on the front...I say go play it and see if you like it. I sat in the store playing it for almost an hour messing with it before I decided to take it. Im satisfied, but I'm going to try running and eq of some sort with it and get a bit more punch out of the distortion. Good luck with your search.
Quote by DEAN86ML
I dont know why everyone's bashing the Dime amp...I just bought one, and I dont see how one of the previous guys said its not loud. I got the thing on pretty much 2 and its loud as shit...The tone is pretty close to Dime's if you mess with it enough and its overall a decent solid state amp, and the cleans are amazing for a solid state...who gives a rats ass what logo is on the front...I say go play it and see if you like it. I sat in the store playing it for almost an hour messing with it before I decided to take it. Im satisfied, but I'm going to try running and eq of some sort with it and get a bit more punch out of the distortion. Good luck with your search.

And I don't know why you bumped a 4 month old thread that nobody gave a shit about in the first place.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by DEAN86ML

That's cause it's just a rebranded Randall Warhead, a already awesome solid state amp.

And bumping this thread was not a good move. Freaken necrothreads.
Quote by mmolteratx
And I don't know why you bumped a 4 month old thread that nobody gave a shit about in the first place.

wasn't paying attention to the dates...please forgive me stereotypical forum douche.
Page 1 of 2