As the title says, i've got $1200 left on my guitar center CREDIT card and I'm looking for a new all tube amp. I play lots of classic rock, alternative, grunge, punk. Bands I play are led Zeppelin , the beatles, eagles, nirvana, the killers, oasis, fall out boy, blink 182, and many more. I don't know much about vox amps but I hear a lot about them. I'm looking at fender hot rod devilles or marshalls but don't know what's a good model. So could anyone recommend me a good combo amp for $1200?
Last edited by srh at Aug 31, 2010,
Take a look at the Egnater Renegade and Jet City stuff. The Renegade is versatile as hell and sounds great.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Can I ask how the hell you get 1200 on a GC card?

Personally, I'd buy something from GC, flip it, use that cash to buy a better amp used.

Otherwise, look at:

Vox AC30 (not sure if you can get handwired one with 1200)
There are not too many Marshalls I would buy new for 1200 (I'll just leave it at that)
Give the Egnater Renegade a serious look. Very versatile and can do all kinds of genres.

Edit: Matt beat me to it on Renegade.

Do you gig?

What is your closest major city (Guitar Center)

hmmm...
fender supersonic
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by BrokenDstring

I just did the same thing. You are right for the most part except for that Marshall MA and the Mesa Express. I wouldn't get any of those Fenders personally outside of maybe the SuperSonic, especially for what he plays.

TS - can you add cash to this quest?
Do you gig?
Combo or stack?
Closest City?

v....more sigworthiness stuff for me
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 31, 2010,
I would probably just use that money to buy an amp at GC, then sell it on CL to get a used AC30/AC50/Mark IV.

EDIT: Nevermind, 311 is here. Listen to him, or your soul will die.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Aug 31, 2010,
There really isn't a bad choice on this page:

Except for that $999 Fender Champ. I’m pretty sure that’s more than what GC sells vintage hand-wired models for!
buy off GC used portion of website for better deals
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
buy off GC used portion of website for better deals

+1

That is partly why I've been asking about 'what city?'

CL/\SH - you've been sigged. Jenny's 'nice meat' comment will go back soon tho

anyone notice how TS did not come back? Maybe we scarred him off
GC used is generally good on shipping amps. everything so far for me has arrived in the condition stated by the sales guy. so dont limit yourself to just your GC
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Maybe he's gone off to steal another $1200 GC card...?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can I ask how the hell you get 1200 on a GC card?

Personally, I'd buy something from GC, flip it, use that cash to buy a better amp used.

Otherwise, look at:

Vox AC30 (not sure if you can get handwired one with 1200)
There are not too many Marshalls I would buy new for 1200 (I'll just leave it at that)
Give the Egnater Renegade a serious look. Very versatile and can do all kinds of genres.

Edit: Matt beat me to it on Renegade.

Do you gig?

What is your closest major city (Guitar Center)

just did the same thing. You are right for the most part except for that Marshall MA and the Mesa Express. I wouldn't get any of those Fenders personally outside of maybe the SuperSonic, especially for what he plays.

TS - can you add cash to this quest?
Do you gig?
Combo or stack?
Closest City?

My limit is 1500$ actually, I'm not sure how I got that much I just applied for one and that was my limit.

lol I'd like to just flip it but would I really get that much more for it?

I don't gig now but I would eventually. I'd wanna get used to my new amp and reall dial in a good tone and
have some fun experimenting with it for a while.

TS - is this tube screamer? If so I already have one, I got the one thats more expensive with the different
settings that sound like your going through different amps. This is where I spent the first of my GC card.

I'd prefer a combo unless I could get a GOOD stack for my price limit.

Closest city to me is Brookfield WI.
Are you talking about a GC credit card?
That card has a 22% interest rate. If you're late on a payment, it goes up to 26.9%. Also, if you don't pay it off within the year, you're responsible for the interest from the first year.
Be careful
ahhh. I see. It is a GC Credit Card. I think we were thinking Gift Card.

I wouldn't use their credit card but that is up to you. You will lose some value if you flip it but it still might be worth it if you found a better amp somewhere else.

TS = Thread Started (in this case - sorry....forum talk)

I'd be all over the Eganter Renegade if I were you. Go play one.

To Mexican Shred's comment - yes you can sometimes get a GC to ship a used amp from another store to your store although they don't do that as much as they used to.

Brookfield? Hold please.
Yeah, I really wouldn't put $1,500 on a GC credit card unless you have no other options and are desperate.

Your Guitar Center has a:

Hughes n Kettner 50 combo for $550
Peavey JSX head $799 (needs cab)
Peavey 6505 combo $799 (may be a bit much for your playing style)

I didn't see much at all at the Appleton store outside of a Mesa Triple Rec and a Marshall JCM900.

The Madison store has a Krank Chadwick 50 and a Genz Benz El Diablo combo (that would be nice) both for $999. They also have an Avatar 212 cab for $249.

Those are just the ones in your state. If I didn't mention the amp here, it is probably not worth buying outside of nice Fender amps I saw on the high end.

-----------------------------------
Craigslist: (used amps worth looking at)
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=500&maxAsk=1500

Aug 29 - Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3 Channel Solo Head - $1100 (Whitewater)

Aug 28 - Vox AC30c2 Amp - $800 (Riverwest)

Aug 26 - Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 - $900 (Riverwest) pic

Aug 24 - 95" FENDER TWEED BLUES DEVILLE 410-MADE IN U.S - $580 (SOUTH OF GURNEE) pic

Aug 22 - Mesa Boogie Mark IV w/Heavy Duty Road Case - $1500 (Menomonee Falls)

Aug 22 - Early 70s Ampeg VT-22 - $750 (Pewaukee) pic

Aug 21 - Mesa Amp - $950 pic

Aug 21 - Guitar Amp Fender 59 Bassman Reissue - $600 (South Milwaukee) pic

Aug 20 - 1970s Fender Bandmaster Reverb Amp - $700 (Milwaukee) pic

Aug 19 - FS/FT Peavey Triple XXX HEAD - $600 (Milwaukee) pic

Aug 16 - Fender Super-Sonic 112 Guitar Combo Amp - $800 (Milwaukee) pic

Aug 10 - Framus Dragon head and cab - $1300 (Bayview) pic

Aug 6 - Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp, plus external MB 1x12 speaker - $1450 (Mequon) pic

Aug 3 - 1961 Fender Brown Concert - $1400 (Milwaukee) pic

Jul 29 - Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 Guitar Amp - $650 (Nashotah) pic

Jul 28 - mesa boogie amp head - $1000 (tosa) pic

Jul 27 - 70's Marshall Super Lead & head case - $1500 (Milwaukee) pic

Jul 27 - Fender Super Twin Amp - $650 (Hartland) pic

Jul 26 - FS: Mesa Lonestar Special - $900 (IL/WI border) pic

Jul 21 - 2009 Egnater Tourmaster 4212 Amplifier - $1300 (Riverwest) pic
Is using the card really that bad? I’ve had the credit card for like 3 years and have just put a few pedals and cables on it and haven’t noticed anything really extreme. I just don’t have the cash to get one now and wont for a while but I could afford 30-50$ monthly payments if that’s all it would be. I just need a new amp so bad, I have a crappy $100 Fender Solid State amp and I want to bring out this Tube Screamer and really try to build up a good tone.
Oh my god, if you're stupid enough to mix up a gift card with a credit card you shouldn't be allowed to control money.
Well, as mentioned - they have a pretty high interest rate. If that is all you have/want then do it up.

My advice would not be to max the card out just because they gave you that limit. GC doesn't administer that card themselves anyway (I doubt) there is a Visa or Mastercard or much lower brand behind the scenes. Most credit card companies bank on people not being able to make their monthly payment or only making their monthly payment. The only time I use a Credit Card is when I have the cash in the bank to pay it off within 30 days.

credit card rant/

So....if that is your only option right now then keep it simple and low cost and pay it off as soon as you can. This can also help give you good credit (assuming you are young here). I like the Egnater Tweaker head $399 on top of that used Avatar 212 cab I found $250. Or, a Vypyr 60 if you are into lots of effects and options. Jet City amp would work for you too I'm sure.
If it was me......is just go to the GC and play everything I could get my hands on....
Quote by Jackooh
Oh my god, if you're stupid enough to mix up a gift card with a credit card you shouldn't be allowed to control money.

lol when I said GC i always meant guitar center credit card, I know the difference.
srh - I would edit your OP to make it clear that this is a credit card.

when you say you have '$1200 left on your GC card' it comes across as if it is a Gift Card.

You basically have a little over 2 years of paying $50 a month. That means if you pay the minimum you'd end up paying something like $1,600+ on a $1,200 item over 2 years. (Didn't do the math).
Quote by srh
lol when I said GC i always meant guitar center credit card, I know the difference.

You're still a ****ing retard.
Considering Guitar Center's overpriced new gear and ridiculous credit card policies, it's not worth it. Just because you have a $1200 limit on a credit card doesn't mean you need to max it out.

If anything, wait for something used. Some GCs don't really do their homework on used gear and you could potentially make a big score.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
as long as you make the minimum payment i'm fairly certain there are no finance charges...

look in their used gear section, they may still ship to your house tax free.

unless acousticmirror ruined that for everyone by overstocking the RI store.

Quote by Jackooh
You're still a ****ing retard.

read the fine print n00b.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Good point Greg. I didn't realize that. I'd still rather pay cash.

^ Reported for flaming.

me too, i don't do "credit" anything but houses these days.

but yea, it's an "interest free" thing until you miss one payment, then blamo...
Quote by gregs1020
as long as you make the minimum payment i'm fairly certain there are no finance charges...

Not true. You avoid interest ONLY if you pay off the bill within the allotted time (usually a year with new cards). If you don't pay it off withing the year, they'll tack on the interest from the original date of purchase. So if you charge $1500, and make minimum payments, you wont have it paid off in a year. Then they're going to tack on a years worth of interest based on the original purchase price and add that to your bill. Then you get interest penalties on that... and so on.

The OP mentioned that he's had the card for a while, so he probably doesn't have a grace period with the interest (that's usually when you apply for the card for the first time).
I do get interest charges, I owe like 288$ on it and my interest charge was only like 7$ this last month. lol guys I know about credit cards, i dont mind making payments every month since it would take me a while to get it in cash.
you have a specified period of time, up to 1 year after purchase to avoid finance charges. it may also depend on the amount financed.

it's real simple. if you are late or go over the terms, you pay interest. just be smart and pay it off in the allotted time.
You are aware that you're ruining your credit by carrying a balance every month like that?

I would absolutely not buy anything unless you can pay more than half of it off immediately. Ideally you should have all the cash in hand, but I know that's not realistic. Still, if you can only afford $50 or $100 a month, you should not be spending anywhere near $1200 on an amp.
Quote by Roc8995
You are aware that you're ruining your credit by carrying a balance every month like that?

I would absolutely not buy anything unless you can pay more than half of it off immediately. Ideally you should have all the cash in hand, but I know that's not realistic. Still, if you can only afford $50 or $100 a month, you should not be spending anywhere near $1200 on an amp.

it's called saving up for it, it's always a realistic option.

also paying something off within terms helps to build credit.

paying late or not at all destroys it.
Hey if you search used on their site. There are a couple VHT Pitbulls for $1,200.

More gain then you will ever need, but they are very versitile. and can probably get what your looking for.

If its "only" classic rock tone your looking for get the VOX
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness