How I love craigslist. I've always been in love with Seagulls, but never had the cash on hand to grab one. Then one popped up on craigslist for $300 (I talked him down to $225 - yay for reselling expensive Biochem textbooks). It's a '91 Seagull S6 CW with electronics (doesn't look like the LR Baggs they use now, it says CPA-200 - any ideas/details?). I emailed Godin/Seagull for the tech specs, but they say the records don't specify. Now for the sexiness:

Review: At first sight: all sorts of sexy. I love that it's not shiny and rough looking. The soundhole is pretty chewed up, I'll have to reinforce it somehow; I don't use a pick though, so that will probably be the extent of the damage. Dings/scratches all over the front (only superficial), adds to the vintage feel. The neck is a bit bowed, but still extremely playable, and should only need a tiny truss rod adjustment. The sound: godly for $225. Fills up the whole room, very woody and warm, fingerpicking is clear and defined, and chords sound deep and rich. Compared to the Takamines/Martins/Taylors I've played, this one is definitely in same ballpark, which is extraordinary considering the price. The electronics aren't bad, and it sounds very accurate when plugged into my SCXD on the Acoustic setting (good news for me, means I don't have to dole out more $ on an Acoustasonic or the like). I used to have a Yamaha F335, and it wasn't bad for the $75 I paid for it, but this blows it out of the water. Plus it was made in '91, when I was born, which is kind of neat. Apparently the S6+CW is sought after since it's out of production, and I only see it for $350+ used on GC, craigslist, etc.

Moral of the story: Seagulls are the best bang-for-the-buck acoustics out there. If you want to spend less than $500 on an acoustic, Seagulls are for you. To me, Canada is good for 2 things: maple syrup and Seagull guitars.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
hey, dude. great guitar! i also have a s6+cw that i got off craigslist for 250 with a hard case. it's got the newer and rounder headstock and a different preamp (some fishman thing), but our guitars are very very similar. i LOVE mine. have fun with it!
If you ever wanna get rid of it, you know who to come to

lol, I've been dying to get a Seagull, something about them just spark my attention. I have a Martin DCX1E, and I'm looking to trade it for a Seagull. Too bad I live in a town where good acoustics are inexistent.
Congrats. The Seagulls from that era are supposed to be the best they've made.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Hngd. Cool buy.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by pugnapugnapugna
i also have a s6+cw that i got off craigslist for 250 with a hard case

With a hard case? Yikes, I'm jealous, I just got a stand with mine. I need one desperately (the car ride back home w/o a case was downright scary), but all my money went into the guitar. Maybe craigslist will save the day again?

Quote by Jayzusss
I have a Martin DCX1E, and I'm looking to trade it for a Seagull.

For the love of God, please tell me you don't live anywhere near Florida. I love trading stuff, but this is probably the exception. Sell that ish and you can probably get a good A/E Seagull.

Quote by captivate
The Seagulls from that era are supposed to be the best they've made.

Any particular reasons why this era is so good (despite the time the wood has had to age)? I figured it wouldn't be as good as the recent ones with the compound curve top, but I know next to nothing about guitar construction.

Thanks again everyone. I think I'm done with new guitars for a while, until I start my lap steel project. Btw, anyone have any ideas what wood this is made of? Any way I can tell?
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
From what I've heard, they were just built with a bit more care than they are these days. Not to say that the ones now are bad by any stretch of the imagination... But back in the day, Seagull was a small operation and each and every single one had a bit more more TLC put into it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
From what I've heard, they were just built with a bit more care than they are these days. Not to say that the ones now are bad by any stretch of the imagination... But back in the day, Seagull was a small operation and each and every single one had a bit more more TLC put into it.

Good stuff. Thanks for the input.
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)