Well, times sure are hard these days. To make a short story even shorter, I have no job, and therefore, meager income. I want to solve this problem, and one day, while sitting on my ass, broke, it hit me: I am a skilled guitar player. I can use this talent to my advantage and make some cash money with it. Busk. So the idea has now spawned inside my head, and I'm hoping you all could help me make it happen.

I have some hurdles to go over. I know a good amount of songs, a decent amount, but I really have no clue what "the street" really wants from me. What sort of songs should be up my sleeve in case something is requested?

Does a good busker know how to play, lets say, the Billboard top 100 songs?(obviously not all of em, but you know what I mean)
How many songs should I at least know before I venture out?
What equipment do I need?( I was thinking: acoustic guitar, case, a container for change, sunscreen,sunglasses, super glue for my fingers, extra strings and extra picks)
Also, are there any techniques someone might share about how to draw attention to yourself?I was thinking of dressing like a weirdo, with bright colors?
Thanks guys, I usually lurk in EG, and ultimate-guitar altogether, but I thought I could get some momentum going on this idea with some internet help. So thanks

P.S. I searchbar'd this, I know there is thread for busking, but it wasnt a great source of information for me. Hope this is okay
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Superglue for your fingers? If you don't mind me asking, what in the name of Gandhi are you planning to do with the glue?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Make sure that you check the busking laws in your region. Every area has its own law. In Toronto you actually need a permit. It sucks

I would play songs people would know and could sing along to if they wanted. Don't bother going off into a whole shredding solo because unless you run into serious guitarists or metalheads, they really won't care.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by Mopy
Superglue for your fingers? If you don't mind me asking, what in the name of Gandhi are you planning to do with the glue?

It's for if his fingers tear and whatnot; it's an easy fix.

As for tips, I have a few, but anyone can feel free to chew me out for being wrong.
1. Find songs that are catchy; melodies or choruses that you find are stuck in your head.
2. When you find your songs, sort them by instrumental and vocal pieces.
3. Make sure you are prepared for rejection!!! People will reject you as well as praise you, so it's best to make yourself like the glue.
4. Finally, have some fun!! People aren't going to want to throw money to a statue, right?(Unless it's the guy who stands still for money in Downtown Portland.) Move around, involve the crowd in any way possible, act like it's just you jamming alone.

Ok, I'm done. Let the correction commence.
Thanks fro the info, Seeker.
I live in Chicago, and the season is about to change to autumn here. What do you think the best season to busk is? Probably summer
I am also worried about running into panhandlers and other buskers and not knowing what to do or say. Like, what if they want to play with me so that they can get a cut of the money, or they get angry and want me to leave, etc.
And I am thinking about learning how to play the harmonica too, in order to make my sound a little "Buskier."
Idk If you guys would know this, but if you have a good harmonica website or resource that would be a nice thing to share
Oh and I dont really shred or do crazy guitar solos, thats not really my style.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC