I made a thread a while ago about how I was down tuning my seven string one step and the lowest string yet another. I am going back to another music store to have my guitar set up again as I didn't like the job that Long and McQuade did. I am probably going to go with 12 gauge strings and whatnot and the technician thinks he is capable of doing what I want. But, as of late I think I want to explore the lower register even more and am considering down tuning to that of an eight string but with the lowest string dropped yet another step.

I am looking for a second opinion as to whether this may be problematic and if it really is a good idea to down tune that low. I listen to a lot of Meshuggah but I want to explore the lower register and perhaps do something really different. Anyways, I don't want to completely eliminate the higher register and still want it to be accessible. Anyways, any second opinions would be greatly helpful. Thank you!
It might be problematic if you don't have your guitar setup properly for it.

Also it'd help if I knew the scale length of your guitar. A longer scale length lets you use thinner strings for lower tunings without all the problems of the strings flopping around. Most standard guitars have a scale length of 25.5 inches. A baritone scale would be 27 inches to 30 inches. If your guitar is 25.5 inches, it's still possible to tune down that low without issue by just using heavier strings and setting up your truss rod properly (I had someone else do this for me, so I don't know for sure how to do it).

Hope this helps a little bit
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Yeah, thanks for the response man. I have an Ibanez RG 7321. I forget what the scale length is for it and am far too tired to look it up hahaha. I am really excited to bring my guitar in and explore the lower register.
Quote by N07HING
I have an Ibanez RG 7321.

Last I checked it's 25.5"

Don't fret though! It's still possible to have a decent tone and few tuning issues with some setup of the truss rod, adjustment of the string gauges, and one important thing I forgot about, setting the intonation (specifically, the bridge saddles) might be important too.
It won't be a problem, but whether you like it or not would depend on how tight you want the strings. I use an 0.080 bass string on my 8-string for F#, and an 0.085 (which I can hardly fit in the saddle) would be the lowest I'd use for Eb. That's on a 27" scale, you might be looking into heavier strings on a 25.5" to get similar tension. That's if you can get them to fit: the RG2228 has a locking bridge, though I think the 7321 is string-through, yeah? It would just need to be set up, though you may have intonation issues no matter what at that scale. Try .012s, then grab a bass string or two for the lowest.

But I reckon if you can, invest in a good 8-string.
The RG7321 is a fixed-bridge string-through-body guitar, yeah. And the scale is 25.5, for sure (checked on Ibanez's site).

That is one concern with larger strings, fitting in the saddles and tuning pegs. But you shouldn't have a problem with anything that you'd put on a seven-string.

Right now I have my guitar tuned F# B F# B F# B E (low to high), and I'm using 10s, and the only problem is my lowest F# (which would be the low string on a standard-tuned 8-string), so I'm debating going heavier. Hell, for my tuning, I probably need a custom set...

edit: Props to Dayn for Sakaki <3
I'll post what string gauges I use if it's of any help. This is on an RG2228 with a 27" scale and what I feel comfortable using:

EBGDAEBF#
.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046 | .060, .080
The lowest I'd take this is down a step to D standard with a low A and E. I wouldn't take it any lower than this personally as the strings start to get too loose for my tastes. The intonation can be adjusted pretty much spot on.

.010, .013, .017, .032, .042, .052 | .065, .085
This barely fits my guitar, but I can take this bottom-heavy set down to a low D. The most I'd take this down is D standard with a low D, but due to the heavier lower strings I can, just barely, take it to D standard with a dropped C, G and D. The only problem is the low .085 is too thick, the saddle can't be pushed back any further to intonate it properly.

If you can figure out how to work it, this string tension calculator should help you with determining what gauges you should try: http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/ I would probably still recommend 12s or even 13s if possible.
Well, turns out my nut would have to be hollowed out and there would have to be some serious modifications done to my guitar. As a consequence of said modifications going back to my original tuning would then be impossible. So, drop G it is. Thanks for your time guys.

PS: I am on the market for an eight string.