So, I'm planning on spending fall and winter revamping my rig, with a new guitar(Almost done being built, should be in my hands within two weeks!), a new wah, a powered pedalboard, maybe a new amp if I can justify it(As my distortion collection shows, I mainly use my amps clean and get my distortion from pedals, and a good Fender tube amp is some of the best clean sound you can buy), and a few new dirtboxes to satisfy my longstanding distortion fetishism.

Recently though, a friend on another forum introduced me to Devi Ever's fuzzboxes. Needless to say as a longtime fan of distortion pedals(Fuzzes in particular; my collection may have shifted more to overdrives while I went lower and lower gain, but I love nothing more than the sound of a fuzzed-out guitar going crazy), I'm very intrigued by their work, and I'm looking for something heavier for my distortion fix for the revamp, so I'm very intrigued by these little $100 boutique boxes they've been selling.

That said though, my heart's between two. Granted they're cheap enough I can probably justify getting both, but if my employee discount isn't as much on them as I think it is, I want to have an order established for which I'll put more priority into.

Right then, onto the pedals;

1. Bit: Legend Of Fuzz ~ I was a gamer before I was a guitarist. Ever since I got a copy of A Link To The Past as my fifth game, I've loved the Legend Of Zelda, so this pedal's cosmetics and name were what got me to click on it. The sound though...damn. Edgy, earth-shattering, it seems perfect for the "The world is exploding and I'm the maestro of the chaos" feel I sometimes set three overdrives on top of each other for, and the demoes I've found have shown, it can actually get a nice, light-medium gain fuzz on lower settings. It seems to squash up on chords though.

2. Hyperion ~ Let me sum up my reaction to the first demo I saw of this thing with the exact thoughts in my head. "Christ, that's a strat? This thing is fucking massive." This little thing is the heaviest fuzz I've heard in a good long while, which is a massive compliment for me. It seems a lot more versatile than the Legend Of Fuzz, and it sounds absolutely perfect for the heavy rhythm sound I get in my head when I reach for a fuzz pedal. That said though, I'm not particularly fond of its single-note attack, which seems to be a little muffled, albeit that fits its being touted as a Big Muff killer.

Like I said, I'd really love both, as what I like from each seem to compliment each other, and I barely use wah, so I'd probably happily sacrifice the new wah pedal to be able to get both of these things. But, while I'm leaning towards the Legend Of Fuzz as the top pick, I still want to see if anyone on here who has firsthand experience with both could help me out with establishing a "Buy first" hierarchy for the two.

As always, greatly appreciated for sitting through my ranting and rambling, and any and all comments are appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 31, 2010,
I have experience with neither of those, but I've probably watched about every Devi Ever demo by now. Love the things, shame they are such a bitch to get in the UK. But I'd go with the Legend Of Fuzz, seems a bit more versatile and would be great for making walls of noise.
The most verstile 'mini' Devi Ever pedal is the Disaster Fuzz. I tried every one I could find - Hyperion, Legend of Fuzz, BIT, etc. - and I found the Disaster Fuzz best at 'controling the arena', so to speak.

It has this very Muff-like quality to it when the Control and Volume knobs are turned to 9 o'clock. But when they are opened further up, if you are close to your amplifier, it will squeel like a mother****er. It becomes a little unsable at that stage and more like a gimmick, but that's okay in my eyes.

You then can elicit this very sputtery, farty type of sound by manipulating the volume knob on your guitar - as long as you have the correct pick-ups and wiring. It's fantastic for delving into something a bit more quirky and unique, particularly with a delay or ring modulator connected.

With that all said, I don't think it's going to be the right fuzz for you. I bought it because I wanted something weird and 'fruity'; you, however, sound like you want a more evil-as-all-hell Muff killer. In which case, the Hyperion is the way to go. The Legend of Fuzz is fantastic, too, but not quite as woofy as the aforementioned model.

Also, check out the Dwarfcraft Devices The Great Destroyer. Pro Guitar Shop now stock them and it sounds fantastic. I've wanted one for ages but could never quite justify it. I think it's better than any Devi Ever pedal, personally.
The Hyperion KILLS!!!!!! A must have Dev Ever pedal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by homeless-john
I have experience with neither of those, but I've probably watched about every Devi Ever demo by now. Love the things, shame they are such a bitch to get in the UK. But I'd go with the Legend Of Fuzz, seems a bit more versatile and would be great for making walls of noise.

Alright, thanks for the opinion. And best of luck in finding the one(s) you're looking for.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
The most verstile 'mini' Devi Ever pedal is the Disaster Fuzz. I tried every one I could find - Hyperion, Legend of Fuzz, BIT, etc. - and I found the Disaster Fuzz best at 'controling the arena', so to speak.

It has this very Muff-like quality to it when the Control and Volume knobs are turned to 9 o'clock. But when they are opened further up, if you are close to your amplifier, it will squeel like a mother****er. It becomes a little unsable at that stage and more like a gimmick, but that's okay in my eyes.

You then can elicit this very sputtery, farty type of sound by manipulating the volume knob on your guitar - as long as you have the correct pick-ups and wiring. It's fantastic for delving into something a bit more quirky and unique, particularly with a delay or ring modulator connected.

With that all said, I don't think it's going to be the right fuzz for you. I bought it because I wanted something weird and 'fruity'; you, however, sound like you want a more evil-as-all-hell Muff killer. In which case, the Hyperion is the way to go. The Legend of Fuzz is fantastic, too, but not quite as woofy as the aforementioned model.

Also, check out the Dwarfcraft Devices The Great Destroyer. Pro Guitar Shop now stock them and it sounds fantastic. I've wanted one for ages but could never quite justify it. I think it's better than any Devi Ever pedal, personally.

I actually looked at the Disaster Fuzz; I liked it, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for; too forward a high-end, and I couldn't find a use for the oscillation switch in the stuff I write. If I could justify it I would love it, but I can't next to the others for now.

And yeah, that's pretty much what I'm looking for out of this; My Big Muff, but eviler, heavier, and more ferocious. My only concern is it tends to sound a little ratty on single note runs in some demoes. The Legend Of Fuzz seems a little more focused in that regard, but just not as monstrous as the Hyperion. It sounds like you've had the luxury of finding somewhere that stocks them and tried them out, could you confirm or deny one or both of these for me?

As for the Dwarfcraft, a friend sent me PGS' demo of it yesterday. I'd love one of those, but the Starve control, while making it absolutely perfect for two or three things I have in mind, also seems to be a bit problematic for most other things I'd need from it, and I can't justify spending $150 on something I may only use on a few songs, no matter how awesome. Unless you know someone who's tried it and can debunk that, in which case, please do.

Quote by Van Noord
The Hyperion KILLS!!!!!! A must have Dev Ever pedal.

Alright, that's two for the Hyperion, one for the Legend Of Fuzz. Thanks for the opinion. ^^

my hyperion sounds like ass. it's tinny as hell and way too gated.
EDIT: I'd get the Shoegazer if I were you.
have devi build both of em in the same box
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by JohnIsMyName
my hyperion sounds like ass. it's tinny as hell and way too gated.
EDIT: I'd get the Shoegazer if I were you.

Really? Hmm....well, what kind of setup are you running? There were a few demoes I found that had similar problems, but most of them seemed to be using fairly bright-sounding equipment. Not trying to devalue your claim, just trying to establish context. As for the Shoegazer, I'd like one of those, but nowhere stocks Devi Ever's pedals except by special order around here, so I want to tread the waters with a $100 pedal before diving in with a $200 pedal.

Quote by Zoot Allures
i know a guy who got the hyperion, they said it took all the bass out of their sound :/

Two complaints of the same kind, suppose this is worth looking into as more than the fault of the gear then...anyone on here with a Hyperion have a clip I could listen to of the tinnyness?

Quote by lbj273
have devi build both of em in the same box

They do special requests like that? Hmm...how much would that cost?

Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Hyperion 'reduces' bass purposefully. It is part of the 'Muff' ethos and overall impression.

True, but my concern is the extremity to which they say it goes. I'm fine with it to an extent, but I still want to retain some low-end.

If you want to retain your low end and still get some nasty fuzz i reccomend the vintage fuzz master. Its the same as the soda mesier circuit with the Q2 transistor flipped, (if you're a modder you might like this, you can install a DPDT switch flip the transistor to get some chaos.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXGeiJAIas
Quote by beckyjc
If you want to retain your low end and still get some nasty fuzz i reccomend the vintage fuzz master. Its the same as the soda mesier circuit with the Q2 transistor flipped, (if you're a modder you might like this, you can install a DPDT switch flip the transistor to get some chaos.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXGeiJAIas

Hmm...I like how your post makes it sound, and I like what I hear in the video, but what info I can find on it says it's an octave fuzz, and I'm not looking for an added low octave to keep the low end, I'm just looking for a good fuzz from hell that doesn't tear out the entire low end of the sound.

It adds an octave up at higher intensity setting.

The bit does that too.

You might wanna consider the ruiner then.

Two dark boost circuits mashed together.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 31, 2010,
Well, the only demo I can find of one of those is Gearmanndude's, and much as I love his demos, it seems to clip his microphone a lot. Anyone know where I can find a clearer demo of the Ruiner?

Is the Aenima too awesome for your purposes? I like mine,, but totally different from other stuff of devi's I've tried. I actually haven't liked anything else of hers besides the aenima.
Quote by rokket2005
Is the Aenima too awesome for your purposes? I like mine,, but totally different from other stuff of devi's I've tried. I actually haven't liked anything else of hers besides the aenima.

Same story as the Ruiner; I can't find any decent demoes of it.

Quote by rokket2005
well ****,, give me a second and i'll see what i can come up with.

Awesome, thanks for doing so.

Well, let me just say you're a damn good player here and now. Anyway, I like what I hear, but it's too much like a distortion, not enough of the punchy quality of a good fuzz, it's a bit too warm and liquidy.

Why don't you e-mail them and see what pedal they would suggest for what you want? I've never tried to contact them, but it's not like they're a huge company. It's worth a shot.
If you can afford a double pedal, go with the Shoegazer. It's what everyone will suggest for your first Devi pedal over at her forum.

What type of sound are you going for?
Quote by Kcintlob
Why don't you e-mail them and see what pedal they would suggest for what you want? I've never tried to contact them, but it's not like they're a huge company. It's worth a shot.

That may be worthwhile, but I'm a little steered off, as her contact page says she's likely to direct people to her forum since they can often answer for her while she makes more boxes of death, and I don't need another forum eating my time. Nothing to lose though.

Quote by Mutmoo
If you can afford a double pedal, go with the Shoegazer. It's what everyone will suggest for your first Devi pedal over at her forum.

What type of sound are you going for?

I'm looking for a fuzz that doesn't chew away the low-end. Same time though, I have bass-centric EQing, and I've got a guitar made of mahogany coming, so I don't want it adding much bass. I want the treble to be bit-back; I want it to be that kind of treble you hear on the stuff that invented heavy metal like Zeppelin, Sabbath, and stuff like that, the kind that's there and strong, but it's refined, it's not cutting your head off. Most of all, when I floor it, I want it to make the listener feel like the world is exploding around them, a fuzz from hell so to speak. Not so much it degenerates into white noise, I want the notes to still be clear and the guitar not to become mush, but I want it to go crazy. I'm going to be working on a science fiction rock opera which is going to be mostly if not entirely instrumental for my next work, so getting this whole "Destruction of the planet" sound that feels like a fleet of cruisers razing the planet's surface is flying above you is key to me. I've always loved old video game soundtracks too, which is another reason I was considering the Legend of Fuzz.

Sorry about the longwindedness, I tend to get onto tangents when describing things.

So a Shoegazer is the innards of those two shoved into one? I think that may decide it then...