I've been playing guitar for 4 years now, and been really going at it harder than ever on my electric in the last 2 years. I'm by no means a beginner. And i noticed one evening while warming my hands that if i press the fingertip of my rude finger towards the palm while the 1st half of the finger is still in line with the rest it locks in place?

Is this happening to anyone else out there :S
When did harry potter get a signature guitar?

Gear:

Peavey Raptor
Fender Squire Strat
Peavey Audition Trans-tube Amp
Zoom G1 Pedal
Cort M600
When you say lock, do you mean like it cramps up? If it's just 'locking' in place, then I have no idea. But if your muscles are contracting then it's a cramp. Either, your muscles are tired or you're not drinking enough water or consuming enough potassium and sodium.
muscle contraction is not cramp, cramp is caused by restricted blood flow to the muscles. my fingers lock up occasionally but i have a known physiological condition (none of your business), my fingers lock straight though, and tends to happen when i`m miles away from a guitar (irrelevant really).

go explain your problem to a doctor `cos any opinions expressed on here will only serve as scare mongering.
If you're talking about what I think you are, then it's completely normal. However, if your finger is locking up whilst actually playing the guitar, then you need to adjust your technique.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I've been playing for 5 years and that still happens to me. If I put my hand in a wierd chord position and change it sometimes my pinky will lock up.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by Aleksi
If you're talking about what I think you are, then it's completely normal. However, if your finger is locking up whilst actually playing the guitar, then you need to adjust your technique.

It's not locking up like not moving, and it doesn't happen while i play guitar.

Basically, you know when you crack your knuckles. well i push my finger down by accident and it kinda cracks but feels like locked in place like a door, but then when i release pressure on it, it clicks back out of place.

Gear:

Peavey Raptor
Fender Squire Strat
Zoom G1 Pedal
Cort M600
there`s your problem stop cracking your knuckles, although the cracking sound is produced by popping gas bubbles that form in the joints it does have an effect on your joints in the long term and could even cause further joint problems
Finger joint going out of place? My fingers are fine but I do have bad toe joints... Idk if guitar playing can affect your fingers like that or if it's just the way you are. Ask your docter?
Quote by mr.speaker
It's not locking up like not moving, and it doesn't happen while i play guitar.

Basically, you know when you crack your knuckles. well i push my finger down by accident and it kinda cracks but feels like locked in place like a door, but then when i release pressure on it, it clicks back out of place.

Yeah, that sounds normal to me, my middle and ring fingers will do it if I make them. As long as it's not happening whilst playing, it's not an issue.

Edit: Someone above mentioned knuckle cracking could mess up your joints, this is a myth.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Thanks Aleksi that helps alot
And no, it doesn't happen while i'm playing, i just wasn't sure if i was caused by bad technique on my behalf.
Thank you

Gear:

Peavey Raptor
Fender Squire Strat
Zoom G1 Pedal
Cort M600