I'm looking for an OD pedal to push the tubes a bit on the lead channel of my Mark IV for metal playing (mostly leads). I usually play in a small room at band practice and don't turn it up high enough to start getting some natural tube distortion (I think it would be optimal to blend the built in gain with this). Does anyone use, or know of a pedal that's good for this purpose on this amp? Or am I up the wrong alley and don't know what I'm talking about?
P.S right now I'm looking at the boss OD-3, SD-1, the ts9 or 808. Most of the standard fare for OD pedals.
Tubescreamer? Any OD will do it, it's just that each different one will change the voice of the amp differently so you have to choose the one that adds the right "flavor" to the amp.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Tallica9000
I'm looking for an OD pedal to push the tubes a bit on the lead channel of my Mark IV for metal playing (mostly leads). I usually play in a small room at band practice and don't turn it up high enough to start getting some natural tube distortion (I think it would be optimal to blend the built in gain with this). Does anyone use, or know of a pedal that's good for this purpose on this amp? Or am I up the wrong alley and don't know what I'm talking about?

So preamp gain is unnatural? wat. Mark IVs are not quite made for power tube distortion, IMO. Then again, if you really want to, you can turn it to 10w and crank up the volume.

You don't really need a boost with the Mark IV either, it's super tight on its own. If you REALLY want more gain, go for something reasonably transparent, like the Danelectro Transparent OD.

Your cab is a problem, too. Get rid of some of your excess gear you don't use and buy a better one, believe me it will improve your sound like you wouldn't believe.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
So preamp gain is unnatural? wat. Mark IVs are not quite made for power tube distortion, IMO. Then again, if you really want to, you can turn it to 10w and crank up the volume.

You don't really need a boost with the Mark IV either, it's super tight on its own. If you REALLY want more gain, go for something reasonably transparent, like the Danelectro Transparent OD.

Your cab is a problem, too. Get rid of some of your excess gear you don't use and buy a better one, believe me it will improve your sound like you wouldn't believe.

Dully noted sir, that's the plan currently. I'll get it going with some good speakers and see what it sounds like from there. Thanks.
I'm not sure I agree 100% with Raijouta. Got any friends who have OD's that you could try, just to see if you like it? The cab is definitely a part of it, but I'd say an OD could probably help as well.

Anything tubescreamer-esque would work just fine. Modded tubescreamers are ever better, and it's really simple. There are dozens of schematics online, and it takes next to no effort.
Quote by Raijouta
You don't really need a boost with the Mark IV either, it's super tight on its own.

At low volumes, I think you do. Its a lot better when you turn it up, but if you run it at really low volumes, a boost definitely helps.
It doesn't need it, but its nice to have, just to give it a little more punch.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 2, 2010,
In my experience, the Mark IV is really the only amp I've played that didn't benefit from an OD pedal. It still sounded the same (though with a bit more gain - which I'm not sure why you'd need that, cause it has plenty of gain already).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lamb of god use Mark IVs or V for practise no boosts.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209