I'm looking for a set of pickups to replace the stock ones in my epi les paul. I'd like some with a little higher output than like a vintage PAF type deal and with more of a modern type of sound. i'm looking for something that will handle a little bit higher gain stuff without getting all fizzy. the type of music i play is mostly alternative bordering on the progressive side of things (coheed and cambria, mars volta, etc) any recommendations?
Take a look at the Duncan Distortions and the Duncan JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
First thought is Irongear Hot Slags. Opened up they roar. Back off a bit and they clean up like a PAF. Great for lead work as they have boosted mid-high response, compared with most other hot pickups. Oh, and they are easy on the wallet.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I like the sound of Petrucci's DiMarzios back in the old days, not sure if you can get those in a Les Paul though.
Have a look at Rockmonkey pickups, more specifically the Silverback.

http://rockmonkeyguitars.com/humbuckers.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly