Alright so right now I am the proud owner(not really ) of a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt amp. This essentially was my "practice" amp. However I think it sounds processed and digitalized if you can get were I'm coming from. It also isnt worth it because it is to big and bulky just for practice. I dont really use it I just bring it to my band's keyboardist's house who live across the street for jam sessions and writing stuff. I want a small amp that is around 15-30 watts and I had my eye on the Peavey Vypyr 15. The reason why I made this thread is I wanted to know if it has the same sound qualities as the spider. I could get a tube amp but I use a lot of gain and dont play at high volumes when I am with my keyboardist so I feel no need to have a tube practice amp. If any one has any other smaller, portable, better sound quality than the spider amp up for suggestion let me know.
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
bump
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Vypyr
Vox Valvetronix
Roland Cube (At least the 20x, the lower wattage models dont have the modeling)

Ive not tried the vypyr, but the VT and cube is deffinately better sound quality than the spider.
Quote by beckyjc
Vypyr
Vox Valvetronix
Roland Cube (At least the 20x, the lower wattage models dont have the modeling)

Ive not tried the vypyr, but the VT and cube is deffinately better sound quality than the spider.

i was thinking about the roland cube ill probably go try it today...anymore suggestions or input on the vypyr
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
i was thinking about the roland cube ill probably go try it today...anymore suggestions or input on the vypyr

What style of music do you play?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
What style of music do you play?

mostly prog/rock/metal with cleans
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
mostly prog/rock/metal with cleans

I play a lot of prog metal/rock too, and i'm using a vypyr. can't recommend it enough really, if you can shell out the extra go for 30W so you get the extra stomp boxes which are definitely worth it though. only bad thing is its a tad heavy, I've lifted it around a few times and its a serious workout haha.

But yeah tones range from really squeaky clean (you can boost your cleans) to more gain than you can ever need, so real brutal sounds great for djent (if you're into that). And everything in between of course.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Quote by adj209
I play a lot of prog metal/rock too, and i'm using a vypyr. can't recommend it enough really, if you can shell out the extra go for 30W so you get the extra stomp boxes which are definitely worth it though. only bad thing is its a tad heavy, I've lifted it around a few times and its a serious workout haha.

But yeah tones range from really squeaky clean (you can boost your cleans) to more gain than you can ever need, so real brutal sounds great for djent (if you're into that). And everything in between of course.

theres a vypyr 30 on craigslist with the sanpera I included im gonna ask the guy if he wants to trade for my spider
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
theres a vypyr 30 on craigslist with the sanpera I included im gonna ask the guy if he wants to trade for my spider

haha epic deal if it goes down

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
I practice (and gig) with a Vox AC4TV 1x10, and I absolutely love the tone of it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
For practice, you could also consider something such as Amplitube or Guitar Rig for your computer.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by souperman08
I practice (and gig) with a Vox AC4TV 1x10, and I absolutely love the tone of it.

let me get this straight:

you gig with a 4 watt amp?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by beckyjc
^Its not unheard of.

A 5 watter could get over a drummer (i know the VJ could), but it wont stay clean.

nevermind i didnt take into thought that it was a valve amp and came to conclusion it was a solid state because we were discussing digital amps.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by souperman08

a friend of mine uses one hooked to a volume pedal as a lead boost.

ts - the vox vt30 get's my vote over the vypyr but it's really personal preference. try them, the cube and anything else you can really.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by beckyjc
^Its not unheard of.

A 5 watter could get over a drummer (i know the VJ could), but it wont stay clean.

Depends on the drummer, i've seen a guy with a 10W SS amp play a jazz gig and he cut right on through and was very audible...

But yeah, as long as you can mic your amp (which all venues will have) then you are fine

for home practice i'd suggest an Audio interface and to use a program like Guitar Rig or what ever