Hello!

Since my Yamaha RGX-220DZ, ain't really the definition of blues guitar, i'm thinking of buying myself a brand new guitar. I mainly play blues and rock and I prefer the humbuckers, I like the Gibson tone, and since I'm not a rich man, i decided the Epi is way to go. I played Gibson SG once or twice and I played Epi' G400 a few times and i really liked it. But i'm really bored of the classic LP/SG/Strat shapes so I decided I'm going for something completly diferent.
And so I found out about Epi' Firebird Studio. The problem is that no shops in my area have this guitar in stock, so i can't try it out. So that's where you're gonna help me. Epi G400 and Firebird Studio have the same pickups, so they basicly have the same sound? (I know the sound isn't all about the pickups) So i can be sure i can get a good blues/rock sound out of it?
The thing is i play reggae too. Can this guitar handle reggae?

If you think this guitar isn't right for me, please recommend me a guitar in Firebirds price range.
Last edited by Lin689 at Aug 31, 2010,
Hey,

I have the Epi Firebird and play pretty much the same stuff as you do - blues, rock, some heavier stuff etc and I can heartily recomend it. Through a valve amp it nails classic rock really well, and the bridge humbucker's got a good kick to it, plus the clean tone is good, so you can do your reggae thang as well - Bob Marley used a Les Paul for his stuff so I'd have confidence in the whole 2 humbucker thing in that respect as well.

I'm fairly certain that the scale length is the same on your Yamaha as well - 25.5" - so you should find the transition fairly easy in terms of playability.

Comparing it with the SG you might not find the tone quite as bright or brash as there's more wood in the body - it's a fairly large beast.

Bad points? None really. The headstock's quite heavy so the neck tends to dive if you let go, but what the hell, you always hold the thing when you're playing so it's no biggy. You might want to change the pickups at some point in the future, maybe for something by Bare Knuckle or whatever - there's nothing wrong with the stock one's, but there's always the option to mod if you want to.

I really like mine, and I reckon you will as well, so hope this helps.

Nat
If you like that "classic" Blues tone, maybe you could look into a Semi Hollow, The "Lucille" guitar gets Great review's from everyone . If it cost's more than you can afford there are alway's the Epi Dot's.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
The only problem I find with Firebirds is that the neck sticks really far out and the body just kind of sits in front of your chest, it's awkward to play standing up, really. It's not incredibly inconvenient but it's a slight nuance to me. Otherwise, the tone is just wonderful for blues, rock and some harder stuff even.
Quote by dngrsdave
If you like that "classic" Blues tone, maybe you could look into a Semi Hollow, The "Lucille" guitar gets Great review's from everyone . If it cost's more than you can afford there are alway's the Epi Dot's.

Quote by dngrsdave

Check out Lucille, but the guitar will probably be more than what you want to spend. You can check used, maybe on ebay. That would be a great guitar though, especially for blues.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I've got an Epi Firebird Studio sitting in my lap right now. It's alright. Great for the money but it does suffer from several universal Firebird prblems: it's very poorly balanced, it doesn't hang where you would expect it to when you're standing up and the banjo-style tuners can't cope with thick strings.

If you want an SG-ish tone then the Firebird Studio will do you fine, the neck pickup has a slightly warmer and thicker tone than an SG's neck pickup, but otherwise they sound close to identical. You just need to decide if you can live with the Firebird shape and it's inherent problems. Definitely try one out before you buy it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I've got an Epi Firebird Studio sitting in my lap right now. It's alright. Great for the money but it does suffer from several universal Firebird prblems: it's very poorly balanced, it doesn't hang where you would expect it to when you're standing up and the banjo-style tuners can't cope with thick strings.

If you want an SG-ish tone then the Firebird Studio will do you fine, the neck pickup has a slightly warmer and thicker tone than an SG's neck pickup, but otherwise they sound close to identical. You just need to decide if you can live with the Firebird shape and it's inherent problems. Definitely try one out before you buy it.

I knew you'll comment here