So in my band, I play rhythm guitar. However in my personal practicing I like to learn some riffs and play some lead, which is fine because one of my goals is to learn how to shred, so I don't mind practicing riffs and scales.
However, for the sake of the band I think I should focus a little bit on learning how to play rhythm , except I don't really know where to start.

Is there any techniques/songs I should practice ? If a song,my band plays things from rock-metal like nirvana, a day to remember, 3 days grace, breaking benjamin, uhh and more.

Also, as a side question, if I'm trying to get into different types of music such as blues/jazz/pop/especially funk, who shouldi listen to?
Yamaha Dreadnaught
Agile Al-2000
Vox VT15
1. start a metronome and play different "stright-rythms" like 4th ,8th,16th and so on to the beat. Spot on!

2. Take some paus inbetween the beats and just experiment what you can do. Spot on.

3. Spot on!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Listen to a riff, try to figure out by ear what notes are being played and then create a rhythm pattern that fits it
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
make sure you know all your chords,if yall want to do orginal songs you need to know a little theory of chord structure and how to make alternative chords (7ths 9ths,etc) then make sure you can do them in bar chords,try playing each chord once in each position on the neck fast.going all the way down and up.....as for listening to other styles.....for blues and stuff try stevie ray vaughn (texas flood,pride and joy,look at little sister) and of corse hendrix (red house,stone free,voodoo child) maybe ever some of the early 70s hard rock/metal (the very first black sabbath album) jazz i cant tell you much about...as for guitar in pop of corse you heard the michael jackson stuff,listen to van halen and steve stevenson (billy idol) and bands like asia,basically i think the genra is called progressive rock,really its pop with lots guitar and complex instrumentals (asia,yes,genesis,rush,etc,etc) and most of all,listen to what you like,but make sure thers alot of good guitar in it to stay creative.
Thanks for ALLL the information, haha . This is why I love this site, will look into it all .
Yamaha Dreadnaught
Agile Al-2000
Vox VT15
Also, as a side question, if I'm trying to get into different types of music such as blues/jazz/pop/especially funk, who shouldi listen to?

For blues I would say the golden oldies like B.B. King, Muddy Waters... then there's the modern masters like Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn

I don't know many Jazz guys sorry!

Pop... well there's loads of pop bands and singers that use guitar but I'd just stick to the I, IV, & V chords

Funk! Now we're talking can't go wrong with Sly & the Family Stone, Funkadelic, James Brown & Prince
If you want to target listening to any genre like Blues, Jazz, Classic Rock etc. just go to Shoutcast.com and choose your genre and pick an internet Radio Station. There are a lot of good blues stations that will play everything from Muddy Waters to Gary Moore so you get real good mix and exposure to many artists.
Thank you both for the responses on what to listen to, i know now what I'm doing tonight! lol
Yamaha Dreadnaught
Agile Al-2000
Vox VT15
A great band to listen to for Funk riffs that sound like rock is Rage Against the Machine. Tom Morello uses alot of muted chords and wah that sound very funky on thier own. Then he adds distortion and it gives it that rock/ nu metal feel.

I'm not gonna lie, I don't really like Rage that much, but the singer in my band wanted to play with a funkier style so I started to learn alot of rage, now any time he asks for funk i can turn it on, and we still sound like a rock band.
Quote by krypticguitar87
A great band to listen to for Funk riffs that sound like rock is Rage Against the Machine. Tom Morello uses alot of muted chords and wah that sound very funky on thier own. Then he adds distortion and it gives it that rock/ nu metal feel.

I'm not gonna lie, I don't really like Rage that much, but the singer in my band wanted to play with a funkier style so I started to learn alot of rage, now any time he asks for funk i can turn it on, and we still sound like a rock band.

Nice, I dont really like RATM that much either but after reading that I might have to have a look into learning some

TS: If you cant read music I would probly try to learn a bit of that, practice different beats with a metronome or if you can, sit down with your drummer and just get some groove on

You can always just take one chord, and practice rythm with it, or left hand mute all the strings and let the right hand do its thing, that way your not distracted with chord changes etc.