Hey, i only started playin guitar about a year ago but kinda feel like my current electric is terrible. Its one of those cheap "starter" rigs, a carlsbro one, that came with an equally poor amp. Both are 6 years old as it was my brothers before me. Anyone any ideas what my next electric guitar should be? i like kings of leon, john mayer, beatles, thin lizzy, snow patrol, vampire weekend and consequently would like an electric which can play a variety of genres. Thanks

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention price range, probably about 200-300 british pounds
Last edited by jamesmckee92 at Aug 31, 2010,
Alrighto, first of all, the genre you're going to play is mostly defined by your amp, so i'd invest in a proper amp before a guitar, since that'll bring you a much bigger sound difference. I'd also save up a bit more because you're really not going to get anything amazing with that budget, it'll be worth the wait though.
You could get a yamaha pacifica 112v as they're a good versitile guitar and they cost around £200. But the best idea would be to go to your nearest guitar shop and test out loads of guitars in your price range

Also guy aboves right the amp matters more but still
Last edited by shields17 at Aug 31, 2010,
I would say just keep saving
Nothing really in that price range will be much of a jump from what you already have
there's a really good guitar player, he does some video lessons and other stuff like reviews and improvisations on the guitar, i think his site is dolphinstreet.com or something don't remember too well.
He's got some reaaly great guitars but says good things about the standard squier telecaster, maybe check that out, don't know about brittish punds though but shouldn't be too expensive
I had a try on a Cort Z series yesterday. Really nice feel as its like a body contoured Les Paul type. Their starter Z42 can be had for around £200. The rest of your budget will get you a quality practice amp ok for home use, but if you have plans towards a band, you might be better to keep the thing you have and save for one you can use at rehearsal/small gig volumes.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Too bad you lived across the pond. It's hard to beat the Carvin Bolt kit for the price. $379 for a quality USA made axe. No brainer to put together and just tung oil or poly wipe it and JAM!
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Yeah the squire telecasters are alright, I'd go for that, and maybe a small vox amp?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
its not really the guitar if its only 6 years old it should be in a very stable state my tutor has one thats 22 years old and it has a beautiful sound to it its mainly the amplifier that creates the sound changes just buy a new amp i made a mistake when i first started playing and bought a guitar instead of an amp and it still sounded crap...
Eastwood LA125EQ

_________
Crybaby Wah Standard
Boss SuperChorus

Voodoo Chile )
Quote by f0xy
Alrighto, first of all, the genre you're going to play is mostly defined by your amp, so i'd invest in a proper amp before a guitar, since that'll bring you a much bigger sound difference. I'd also save up a bit more because you're really not going to get anything amazing with that budget, it'll be worth the wait though.

Listen to that guy dude..
Eastwood LA125EQ

_________
Crybaby Wah Standard
Boss SuperChorus

Voodoo Chile )