which has the better cab?

everyone in hard rock has a MESA...but when it comes to the 2x12, are they better than orange's cabs?

what about orange's open back cab? or mesa's vertical 2x12...personally i like the idea of the vertical cab...i tend to have my horizontal cab turned horizontally anyways...

i like the Mesa right now, b/c i wouldn't have to special order it to run with my head...Orange would need 16 ohm speakers put in it, or be rewired to 4ohm...

the other question would be the handles...mesa has the single handle on the top, while orange has recessed handles on the sides...preference?

opinions??
I'd get the mesa...
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Personally i'd take the Orange over the Mesa mainly because it's half the price and the Mesa is definitely not twice as good

While the Mesa probably isn't twice as good, IMO it is better. Whether the better quality is worth the extra money or not isn't my call to make.

There's a band that mine has played with a couple times. They only have one guitarist and he ran his 5150 through 2 2x12 cabs, one Mesa, one Orange. He set them on opposite sides of the stage and and it sounded really good even without being miced. Kinda gave the illusion that there we're two guitarists.
Both are really the same quality, Orange might be cheaper in Australia, but I'd assume since, in the US, Mesa is cheaper, that they'd also be cheaper in Canada.

My friend has an Orange cab and I really like it. I'd say it sounds better than a Mesa, but is it worth the extra cost (~$2-300 more than the Mesa)? I'd say no.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Even most Orange fans on the official Orange forums will tell you to get the Mesa cab. Orange cabs really are laser beams. If you're not in front if it, you get nothing. They just don't project that well. The Mesa projects much better and is built just as well. Go Mesa.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Personally i'd take the Orange over the Mesa mainly because it's half the price and the Mesa is definitely not twice as good

Hmm...I don't know where you're getting your numbers...

I've never seen an Orange 2x12 go for half the price of a Mesa 2x12.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
The Mesa 2x12s are nowhere near as nice as the Mesa 4x12s. They lack the 'oomph'. They are by no means 'bad' cabinets - the price and quality reflects that - but I just feel they're overused, and I cannot figure out why.

Orange 2x12s, however, have enormous low-end and midrange. They are physically larger than the Mesa models, use thicker materials and are 16 ohms, which, to me at least, allows for better bass response.

If can find a Mesa 2x12 second-hand for the right price, go for it. But if you want to buy new, Orange is probably the better alternative. In my opinion anyway.
I was in this exact same situation. And I went for the Orange. I liked the way both sounded, but I really liked the projection of the Orange. I went with the Orange 2x12 open back. Fantastic tone. It spreads the sound better AND keeps a tight bass growl. It even has two "resonance strips" on the bottom to help the low end spread. Best piece of gear Ive bought in a long time
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Quote by MatrixClaw
Both are really the same quality, Orange might be cheaper in Australia, but I'd assume since, in the US, Mesa is cheaper, that they'd also be cheaper in Canada.

My friend has an Orange cab and I really like it. I'd say it sounds better than a Mesa, but is it worth the extra cost (~$2-300 more than the Mesa)? I'd say no.

Whaaa???

They're barely even $100 apart unless you go for the open back orange which is about the same or cheaper than the mesa. Can't remember though.

Anywho, I got to try a Mesa 4x12 vs Orange 2x12 at a studio a year ago or so and the Orange was better. Not by a large margin but enough to say it was better.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
Whaaa???

They're barely even $100 apart unless you go for the open back orange which is about the same or cheaper than the mesa. Can't remember though.

Anywho, I got to try a Mesa 4x12 vs Orange 2x12 at a studio a year ago or so and the Orange was better. Not by a large margin but enough to say it was better.

Not on the used market.

Orange holds its value a lot better than Mesa.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by SLonergan
Hmm...I don't know where you're getting your numbers...

I've never seen an Orange 2x12 go for half the price of a Mesa 2x12.

In wacky backwards prices land (down under) they are

http://www.fivestarmusic.com.au/epages/fivestarmusic.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/fivestarmusic/Products/PPC212/SubProducts/PPC212OB

http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/products/Mesa-Boogie-Rectifier-2x12-Horizontal-Cabinet.html

If you put a Mesa Engineering logo on a tin of beans down here they would try to sell it for a grand lol
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Mesa 2x12s are nowhere near as nice as the Mesa 4x12s. They lack the 'oomph'. They are by no means 'bad' cabinets - the price and quality reflects that - but I just feel they're overused, and I cannot figure out why.

Orange 2x12s, however, have enormous low-end and midrange. They are physically larger than the Mesa models, use thicker materials and are 16 ohms, which, to me at least, allows for better bass response.

If can find a Mesa 2x12 second-hand for the right price, go for it. But if you want to buy new, Orange is probably the better alternative. In my opinion anyway.

This, and what MC said.

Were I to find an Orange 2x12 on my CL, I'd take it over my Mesa any day of the week.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Orange! They may not project fantastically, but they sound damn good. I took an Orange over a Mesa when I was cab shopping, and I do not in any way regret it.

The clips in my profile are done with an Orange 2x12, so check it if you like.

Definitely try em both if you can though, your ear is different than mine.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you put a Mesa Engineering logo on a tin of beans down here they would try to sell it for a grand lol

This is a very painful truth.

I want a Mesa.
i don't know how mesa 'projects better' as has been claimed. why would orange 2x12's be more of a 'laser beam' than a mesa? what does the mesa's design do to break this up? i ask these questions cuz i want real answers not 'play em and you'll see what i mean' cuz i have played more mesa cabs than i have fingers, and i've owned an orange ppc212 for years so it's not like i don't know what they sound like.

as far as i can tell there is no special pattern or design for better projection with a mesa cab, internal dimensions will dictate certain tonal responses but all the noise comes right back out the speaker holes in closed back cabs anyway, so i don't see how one has an advantage over the other.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
cuz i have played more mesa cabs than i have fingers, and i've owned an orange ppc212 for years so it's not like i don't know what they sound like.

so you would be one who knows...which do you prefer? why?

the fact that the ORANGE comes at 16ohm means i would need to special order it to get it at 8ohm...one disadvantage
Do you have to get either?
I haven't used an Orange 2x12, but I've heard good things. A session guy I know (Mke Casswell) uses Boogie 2x12's live, and gets a great sound. They have huge low end. Much more than the orange IMO.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

^If you haven't used an Orange, how would you know?
I didn't claim to know...
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78

Yes you did... Proof:

Quote by jimbob78
Do you have to get either?
I haven't used an Orange 2x12, but I've heard good things. A session guy I know (Mke Casswell) uses Boogie 2x12's live, and gets a great sound. They have huge low end. Much more than the orange IMO.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jimbob78
Quote by jimbob78
They have huge low end. Much more than the orange IMO.
Just because you used the abbreviations "IMO", it doesn't mean that you're not claiming to know, because you are claiming to know.

Quote by sweet_inc
so you would be one who knows...which do you prefer? why?

the fact that the ORANGE comes at 16ohm means i would need to special order it to get it at 8ohm...one disadvantage
Why do you need 8 ohms?
I think the consensus is that orange are better value for money in UK/europe cause theyre UK built, mesa are better value for money in the US, cause theyre US built.

An orange 4x12 here costs about £600.
A mesa costs around the £900 mark.

A 4x12 orange in the us is like $1100.
A mesa 4x12 is around $900.

Ive never tried a mesa cab, but i wouldnt imagine in terms of build quality and sound quality theyre going to be too far off. Its just dependant on where you are in the world on where youd get the better deal. Go with whats cheaper.
Quote by beckyjc
I think the consensus is that orange are better value for money in UK/europe cause theyre UK built, mesa are better value for money in the US, cause theyre US built.

An orange 4x12 here costs about £600.
A mesa costs around the £900 mark.

A 4x12 orange in the us is like $1100.
A mesa 4x12 is around $900.

Ive never tried a mesa cab, but i wouldnt imagine in terms of build quality and sound quality theyre going to be too far off. Its just dependant on where you are in the world on where youd get the better deal. Go with whats cheaper.

This is the truth
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes you did... Proof:

As I said, I'd rather have an Orange cab ( I'm an Orange cab fan boy ) but the Mesa is still great. There are few cabs I'd rather have in my rig.
Well... I have used Orange 4x12's, but not the 2x12's. So I couldn't vouch for that.
I've certainly made myself look stupid here :O
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban