i was pretty sure that you couldn't record with the 30watt version but i heard someone talk about the quality of recording with their vypyr 30. Can someone please tell me if you can or cant record with the 30 watt version?
Always Rock!
The 3.5mm headphone jack can be used for recording... though I doubt there is anything special about that, pretty sure its just a normal headphone output. As for quality I don't really know, I imagine you could get a range of answers on that since there are a lot of variables that go into recording (plus subjectivity of "quality").
so do you think i'd be better off spending the extra 100 bucks on the 75 watt?
Always Rock!
yeah, you get the usb recording with 75 and up
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Worn cherry

Peavey Vypyr 30
I have zero experience recording with the vypyr, but a couple things I'd point out:

1. I've read / heard about people having trouble with the USB recording on the bigger vypyrs (people report significant latency while trying to record). From what little recording experience I have, I doubt its a vypyr problem... more likely the latency issues are the fault of the computer doing the recording (basically if you're using a cheap / onboard sound card, it may not be able to process the input from the amp and play it through the speakers without a delay). I only mention it because if you spend the extra money for USB, you'd hate to get it home and not be able to use it the way you wanted. If you've already got a purpose built recording computer set up, it probably wouldnt be an issue, but its something to be aware of.

2. If you're willing to stretch the extra 100$, you might have a look around for a used vypyr 60. It has the USB out as well, but is also tube driven. If there happens to be one around you, it may be in that same price range and would definitely be worth a test drive.
Last edited by Oppenheimer at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Oppenheimer
I have zero experience recording with the vypyr, but a couple things I'd point out:

1. I've read / heard about people having trouble with the USB recording on the bigger vypyrs (people report significant latency while trying to record). From what little recording experience I have, I doubt its a vypyr problem... more likely the latency issues are the fault of the computer doing the recording (basically if you're using a cheap / onboard sound card, it may not be able to process the input from the amp and play it through the speakers without a delay). I only mention it because if you spend the extra money for USB, you'd hate to get it home and not be able to use it the way you wanted. If you've already got a purpose built recording computer set up, it probably wouldnt be an issue, but its something to be aware of.

2. If you're willing to stretch the extra 100$, you might have a look around for a used vypyr 60. It has the USB out as well, but is also tube driven. If there happens to be one around you, it may be in that same price range and would definitely be worth a test drive.

i love the 60 way more but a new one is out of my price range and i cant find a used one anywhere. lol it must be good if nobody is selling it. The only used vypyr i can find is a 15watt and it's way to small.
Always Rock!
Yes, you can use the headphone out to record on the vypyr 30. I have a demo of the recording quality on my profile if you want to hear it (yes, I know my playing in it is shit, and I honestly couldn't give a crap, I played completely half-assed in it, I recorded it to demo the quality of the recording, not my playing).