Hey guys.

I'm a beginner I've been playing for about 3 months now. I've stuck with Chords, Chord changes, strumming, different patterns...I did learn the Minor Pentatonic scale(alternate picking), some power chords...(I covered my first full song "seven nation army" including solo)

What's after this step? what should i really focus on? i really want to play lead..so chords isn't that much fun for me..but i know i have to do it...and i will..in order to get where i want to be. I know it takes time and patience.

Any advice? pls share...i would really appreciate it..thx

and I've been using light strings... (.9)...what's the difference between light and heavy..besides the obvious..lol...i mean does heavy sound better?

Thanks again.
Just play and learn random solos starting from easy ones. Learn techniques, licks. You heavier strings are usually for drop tunings. I prefer light strings for more control.
String gauge will come down to preference unless you're drop tuning, I stick to 10's and sometimes 11's for standard/dropped D tuning, I never use 9's, they just feel too "Thin" I guess, for me.
keeping learning chords, itll help you when you solo/improv
i.e if you have mastered the basic major, minor chords, move on to 7th chords.
learn you major, minor scales.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Ya im still working on basic chords...trying to get my changes faster...My F (barre) chord comes out really cleanly, but the change is REALLY Slow....Well since im going to stick to chords until i perfect them..what tunes can i start learning to play right now with the knowledge i have?

thx
Quote by lakersbigboi7
Ya im still working on basic chords...trying to get my changes faster...My F (barre) chord comes out really cleanly, but the change is REALLY Slow....Well since im going to stick to chords until i perfect them..what tunes can i start learning to play right now with the knowledge i have?

thx

what is your favorite artist/genre?

usually i would say something like AC/DC their nice and easy.
Ie Back in Black, Highway to Hell. (thier more popular songs)
but their not to fast like Whole Lotta Roise.

plus those songs have some of the basic chords in them ie A, G, E etc

and their solo are pretty kicking when you get them down. just remember whatever songs/tech/scale/chord anything you play, play it slowly and get down then increase the speed.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I would suggest learning You Shook Me All Night - AC/DC
It uses basic open chords, and will introduce you to lead
It got a great delta blues intro, the chord are really easy and solo should be no trouble