First of all,

When i record any vocals on my Boss Micro BR, i use headphones because for some reason, i just dont sing properly when using speakers, im always afraid someones going to hear, so i go out to the fields with my headphones and record using the in built mic and listen through my headphones, when i get back, i play it through my speakers and the singing ALWAYS sounds out of tune, can someone pleaaaase shed some light on what im doing wrong?

Also...can anybody help me with drum programming, i was using acoustica beatcraft before and i could only make simple drum beats, can anybody tell me a better program and how to come up with something decent on it?

Thanks in advance!!
You don't sing properly when using monitors because you hear both your voice coming out of your head and your voice coming out of the monitors. It can mess you up even when you're just talking.

Also, "the fields"? Like, a wide open area with grass? Therein lies your problem. That, coupled with using a built-in mic. There's a limit to how good it can sound.
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Quote by TheDriller
^ singing in tune might help.

Well...obviously, but i guess your not smart enough to realise that i actually said when i go out and record vocals i listen through my headphones and it sounds in tune but when i get back home and play it through speakers its not...
Quote by Hardcore_Shane
Well...obviously, but i guess your not smart enough to realise that i actually said when i go out and record vocals i listen through my headphones and it sounds in tune but when i get back home and play it through speakers its not...

Dude, wake up.

If it sounds out of tune then it's your singing thats out of tune.
Neither the mic nor the recording device are engaged in a conspiracy to make you sound like your singing off-tune.
You'd be better served by getting out of the denial mindset and actually addressing the problem at the source, which is you.
inconvenient as it might be, you can't pass off your own faults onto your equipment.
Its almost as laughable as the drummer who says "Is it just me or is the metronome speeding up and slowing down all the time?".

Actually, now that you've got me thinking, make sure that the sample rate on the playback device in your home matches the sample rate it was recorded in.
If there was a mis-match (for example, recorded at 48k and played back at 44.1k) there would be a consistent pitch-shift while being played back.

Double check that just to be sure.
Last edited by TheDriller at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by TheDriller
Dude, wake up.

If it sounds out of tune then it's your singing thats out of tune.
Neither the mic nor the recording device are engaged in a conspiracy to make you sound like your singing off-tune.
You'd be better served by getting out of the denial mindset and actually addressing the problem at the source, which is you.
inconvenient as it might be, you can't pass off your own faults onto your equipment.
Its almost as laughable as the drummer who says "Is it just me or is the metronome speeding up and slowing down all the time?".

Actually, now that you've got me thinking, make sure that the sample rate on the playback device in your home matches the sample rate it was recorded in.
If there was a mis-match (for example, recorded at 48k and played back at 44.1k) there would be a consistent pitch-shift while being played back.

Double check that just to be sure.

but what im saying is it sounds in tune when im recording it and listening through headphones and when i play it back at home on speakers it sounds out =S
I just dont understand why it sounds fine outside on headphones and out of tune inside...

However...the thing you said about sample rate, how do i check sample rates, i have no idea about that kinda stuff, iv never messed with it before.

Sorry if i come across as hostile there, i just thought you was another smartass come to start an arguement.

Also, im not actually a proper vocalist...i just think its better to atleast give it a go and get some vocals in there so it dont sound boring since im not creative enough to do instrumentals.
Last edited by Hardcore_Shane at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by Hardcore_Shane
but what im saying is it sounds in tune when im recording it and listening through headphones and when i play it back at home on speakers it sounds out =S
I just dont understand why it sounds fine outside on headphones and out of tune inside...

However...the thing you said about sample rate, how do i check sample rates, i have no idea about that kinda stuff, iv never messed with it before.

Sorry if i come across as hostile there, i just thought you was another smartass come to start an arguement.

Also, im not actually a proper vocalist...i just think its better to atleast give it a go and get some vocals in there so it dont sound boring since im not creative enough to do instrumentals.

Ah its cool man,
hopefully you see my point though,
It could be a case that when you have the headphones on and are in "performance mode" you don't hear the imperfections. then when you get the chance to listen back to it, the imperfections are plain to see/hear.

can you upload a section of the recording so we can hear exactly what the problem is?
Quote by TheDriller
Ah its cool man,
hopefully you see my point though,
It could be a case that when you have the headphones on and are in "performance mode" you don't hear the imperfections. then when you get the chance to listen back to it, the imperfections are plain to see/hear.

can you upload a section of the recording so we can hear exactly what the problem is?

Yeah i see your point, I am a pretty bad singer anyways, iv only been singing a month or so anyways, Im usually in tune though, its just whenever i record it, it always sounds worse than normal haha.

Performance mode?..never heard anything about that =S

I would but when i got back home i listened back to it, cringed and deleted the vocals off it =/