So I have started working on some speed run exercises and I am wondering about the fingerings. Say there is a (frets) 5,7,8, run on the B and (high) E. In the video the guy plays with 5,7,8 with the first 3 fingers. I would play it with, index,ring and pinkie, omitting the middle finger. This is what is comfortable to me. Another example would would (frets) 3,5,7, or 5,7,9, on the D and G strings with the same fingering. I try to play it like the guy in the video..index on the 5th, middle finger on the 7th and pinkie on the 9th, however that stretch from 5 to 7 with index and middle is so uncomfortable and awkward for me. I see a lot of people play like this, i.e. Satriani. Are there "rules" for this and its it something I will regret later if I don't work through it the "right" way?
Quote by Zeletros
No rules.

This.
Do whatever feels comfortable to you.
Using your pinky actually should be better, I hate when people don't use their pinky.
There are no rules... But you do want to consider which finger you use if say you want to bend the last note of your run... It's kinda harder with your pinky than with your ring finger..
Quote by piszczel
This.
Do whatever feels comfortable to you.
Using your pinky actually should be better, I hate when people don't use their pinky.

Not necessarily most comfortable, because for a lot of beginners it'd be more comfortable to exclude the pinky all together. I say what evers most efficient and sets you up most appropriately for the next few notes, even if it means struggling for a little while. In my opinion anyway.

I agree with the no hard or fast rules thing though
As a general rule, you want to be using 1 finger per fret, so e.g.
1, 2, 4 would be played: index, middle, pinky.
1, 3, 4 would be played index, ring, pinky.
1, 3, 5 would be either: index, middle, pinky or index, ring, pinky; personally, I go for the former because I find it easier to make the stretch that way.
However, the finger per fret rule sometimes doesn't work, depending on what you're playing before/after a certain lick, and in this case, you've just got to figure out the way that's easiest for you. As long as you're utilizing all your fingers, you should be okay.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.