Hi guys, i have got a question to the community.
So i joined a band, from the start everyone told me my screams should be louder, when i scream at a mic it sounds nice, i usualy just plug the mic to the bass amp i have and scream.
When the time came to record , my waves where small and the guy from the studio had to use a compressor to amplify it.
My question is, is that normal? Live will i be able to be heard?
Best Regards

EDIT: im going to post the video of when i was recording,the band posted on youtube to use on myspace later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoULFXXXnVk
have to scroll ahead first appears the guitar player, anyway i was quite nervous , was my first time "recording" if you know what i mean hehe.
Last edited by Nautkyn at Nov 19, 2010,
Uh, "he had to use a compressor to amplify it"... that's not really what a compressor does. A compressor evens out dynamics, makes the loud bits quieter and the quiet bits louder and stuff.

If you're singing quietly he should just turn up the gain on the preamp. If you're doing it really quietly, surely you'd know that already?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
^This. Your audio engineer apparently didn't learn about gain structure.

Live, you can always boost the gain of the pre-amp, mixer (channel volume or master volume), or power amp.
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Hey I wasn't there at the session and we don't know what the signal was but in the video it looks like you're pretty frickin' loud. Should be plenty loud enough. That's the whole purpose of having a mic and a preamp. Your "studio guy" (engineer) sounds like he's not exactly sure of what he's doing.
A. Just because the waveform on the screen isn't huge doesn't mean it's not loud enough. You can literally change the size of the waveform display in most DAWs.

B. You should never EVER try to record as loud as possible. Biggest BS myth about DAWs out there right now.

C. Perhaps try increasing the gain on the preamp, check that there's no PAD activated by mistake somewhere along the signal chain?

D. Tell your Audio Engineer to learn about gain structure. From what you've told us he doesn't look very good right now so watch yourselves (you the band aka the clients).
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Well thank you very much for all the responces, i was getting quite worried about it.
How they where sayng was getting me worried.
Well the waves where small compared to the other instruments,he even commented his vocal from his band, doesnt need to use compressor like i do.. and he really punches his voice, and when the rehersal is over he cant even speak.
When i sayd, well maybe he might be doing it wrong, the guitar players jumps in,O SO NOW ALL THE OTHER VOCAL PLAYERS FROM OTHER BANDS DO IT WRONG, YOU DO IT RIGHT?
im going out of topic...
Good thing i left the band hehe.
Thank you very much
Last edited by Nautkyn at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by Nautkyn
and he really punches his voice, and when the rehersal is over he cant even speak.

He's doing it incredibly wrong and is going to really fuck up his voice very quickly. Yeah, that guitar player sounds like an ass. I agree, good job you left. Look after your voice.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.