Hi, I am going to start giving bass lessons to beginners of secondary school age. Has anyone got any tips, experiences or opinions on this? I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do, but more input would be appreciated. Cheers.
Scales. Show them what those little dots on the fretboard are. And tell em that it's much much more fun than playing that other guitar with more strings
Just don't fall into the trap of saying "I teach people to be musicians who play bass, as opposed to just being a bass player." That sounds good, but each instrument is unique and you have to teach to it's strengths and peculiarities. Music theory is a must, but if you are going to teach bass then you are going to have to teach those specific techniques that aspiring bassists want to learn. Many of your students are going to want to learn to slap and pop, and your metal bassists are going to want to learn to play fast runs. Things like that are just as important as the theory.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Cool, I'll bear your advice in mind guys. What do you think is a reasonable rate to charge for one-to-one tuition? I was thinking about £7 an hour.
I've known people to charge £20 for half an hour.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by 09phillt
Cool, I'll bear your advice in mind guys. What do you think is a reasonable rate to charge for one-to-one tuition? I was thinking about £7 an hour.

It depends on a few things. First, are the students coming to you or are you going to the students? If you have to travel, then charge more. Another thing to consider is at what level will you be teaching? If you are teaching beginner through intermediate, 7 GBP might be reasonable. But if you are teaching more advanced techniques and playing, then that information is worth more - provided you can actually deliver it to the student.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm going to them, but it's not too far. It's defenitely total beginners, and I'm only going to be around where I live for another year, so it's not going to get to expert levels.
I'd say bump it up to £10 if you're new to teaching but still confident of your ability to teach. Never lose your patience, this is my major downfalling when I try to teach people things, I tend to pick up things very quickly and speed through them, while a lot of others aren't the same.