Poll: Shred or Rhythm?
Poll Options
View poll results: Shred or Rhythm?
I prefer to shred.
13 65%
I prefer rhythm.
7 35%
Voters: 20.
hi, just a thought that popped into my head; im mainly a blues and jazz player, but ive always been drawn to metal, often very low technical stuff like meshuggah, but i was wondering, is the ability to shred ad solo like crazy vital to a death metal musician?

i ask because ive always been more interested in the idea of playing fast complicated rhythm sections as opposed to soloing like mental.

opinions?

EDIT: i mean technical rhythm stuff like Combustion by meshuggah shouldve mentioned that.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal
hi, just a thought that popped into my head; im mainly a blues and jazz player, but ive always been drawn to metal, often very low technical stuff like meshuggah, but i was wondering, is the ability to shred ad solo like crazy vital to a death metal musician?

i ask because ive always been more interested in the idea of playing fast complicated rhythm sections as opposed to soloing like mental.

opinions?

Wat.

Anyway, i'd say it helps but it isn't vital.
Not really.

If you play solos, then yeah. Some people can solo but just don't, like Joe Haley from Psycroptic. And he's a beast.

edit: as a disclaimer, there is a big difference between just playing fast and actual shred
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 31, 2010,
Well not really I mean some of the greatest sOngs in the world use a lot of basic bluesy pentatonic in the box stuff. So you really don't have to shred. The only thing that really matters is if you can play in key.
Quote by malmsteensolo
Well not really I mean some of the greatest sOngs in the world use a lot of basic bluesy pentatonic in the box stuff. So you really don't have to shred. The only thing that really matters is if you can play in key.

Have you considered changing your nick? It's inappropriate
It really depends on how you want to develop your style. A lot of metal guitarists don't shred, and they do fine. In fact, if you've heard of Black Metal -- that entire genre doesn't even solo. And no one gives Black Metal shit for it; a lot of Black Metal is some of the most technical music you'll hear.

Edit: Since you asked about Death Metal, I can honestly say that about only 25% to 50% of the Death Metal bands I listen to shred. Some of the older Death Metal bands didn't really solo ever, let alone shred. You don't really need shredding. But it does help.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It really depends on how you want to develop your style. A lot of metal guitarists don't shred, and they do fine. In fact, if you've heard of Black Metal -- that entire genre doesn't even solo. And no one gives Black Metal shit for it; a lot of Black Metal is some of the most technical music you'll hear.

Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by malmsteensolo

Who says you need to stay in key to have a nice solo?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.