I've been eyeing off a Mesa Big Block 750, has anyone had any experience with this head? I'll be using it in a cover band mostly playing pub rock kinda stuff but also bits of everything else as well, it's going to see A LOT of gigs. I'll be running it into an Ampeg 610HLF with my Spector Euro 5 and sometimes a Fender MIJ 62' Re-issue P.
I'm buying used by the way.
My experience with Mesa is you really can't go wrong with them. Especially if it spits out your kind of tone. They usually last a long long time. Just be careful buying used (I'm sure you already are by this post). You never know how much they played or how they took care of it.
The only thing I'd say is to get it checked over by a tech, re tubed (if it's coming to needing it). Mesa's are amazing amps, I'd jump on one in a heartbeat if I had the money.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
The Big Block 750 is a first-rate amplifier with tone to die for. If it is in good shape and you have the cash, grab it. You won't be disappointed.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks for the replies so far guys, I know about Mesa's stellar repuatation and all of that, and tubes aren't really an issue seeing as I've got around 70 NOS Mullards sitting in my room to mess around with . Some of these HC reviews made me do a little bit of a double take. I was more looking for opinions on this amp in particular, not just an overall opinion of Mesa/Boogie in general.
Other than its very high price (new), there is simply no downside to owning a Mesa Big Block 750. It has always been one of their best-sounding bass amplifiers. It has several very good and useable tones on tap. It is as loud as hell when used with a good cabinet or two. I've played it only through Mesa cabinets (a 4x10 and a 1x15) and the sound was so good I was tempted to go deeply into debt on the spot to buy the rig. It's that good.

The Big Block 750 is a rackmount design that is usually sold mounted in a Mesa head cabinet, so you have the option of taking it out of there and putting it in a rack. It doesn't take up much space in a rack (two or three spaces, I believe) and it looks great in its Mesa cabinet if you want to leave it that way. Other bassists will likely envy the shit out of you if you turn up onstage with one. If you can afford it, then grab it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by FatalGear41
Other than it's very high price (new), there is simply no downside to owning a Mesa Big Block 750. It has always been one of their best-sounding bass amplifiers. It has several very good and useable tones on tap. It is as loud as hell when used with a good cabinet or two. I've played it only through Mesa cabinets (a 4x10 and a 1x15) and the sound was so good I was tempted to go deeply into debt on the spot to buy the rig. It's that good.

The Big Block 750 is a rackmount design that is usually sold mounted in a Mesa head cabinet, so you have the option of taking it out of there and putting it in a rack. It doesn't take up much space in a rack (two or three spaces, I believe) and it looks great in it's Mesa cabinet if you want to leave it that way. Other bassists will likely envy the shit out of you if you turn up onstage with one. If you can afford it, then grab it.

The one I'm looking at already comes mounted in a rack case .
There's actually a lot of nice rigs around here. There's a dude with a HiWatt Custom 200 head into a Ampeg Fridge, another dude with a SWR 750x rig, a few MarkBass rigs and a couple of old school Peavey rigs I don't really dig the sound of.
It looks like I might be going to pick it up this weekend, I emailed the dude and told him if he still had it in a couple of weeks I'd grab it but my Dad offered to lend me the money so I could get it straight away.
Silly season here I come!

EDIT: The price on the BB and the Ampeg is VERY attractive for Aussie prices btw.