Sup!

I made a thread not too long ago and was recomended the Peavey Vypyr 15. I brought it and played it for an hour before deciding to pack it up and send it back. I thought it was awful, seriously. Everything on it sounded very fake, digital, unresponsive. Just complete shit tbh. My current amp is a MG10.

I think what I'm looking for is low-watt practice tube amp that handles pedals well. I'm quite a fan of that huge marshall sound and will probabley try to get a good n loud one sometime next year.

I have considered getting a Marshall Class 5 but I've read that you need to crank it to get that proper real tube drive on it and I don't think the family/neighbours would appreciate it.

Would it be worth getting it plus a good OD/Dist pedal or would that just defeat the object really?

I've also looked at the Vox Ac4tv and I've heard good things about these.

Could anyone help recommend any good tube practice amps out there

The genres I'm into are psychedelic stuff (pink floyd, hendrix, hawkwind, etc), Alt (Jesus + Mary Chain, MBV, Oasis, Smiths etc) and harder stuff (tho who, led zep, black sabbath, pistols, motorhead, iggy pop etc). Should be able to do cleans well too since I wanna try my hands getting into Jazz playing.

I will be getting pedals for my effects, so no onboard shit.

TL;DR

Needs practice tube amp that can do amazing cleans and marshall-esque od/dist that handles pedals for listed artists above.

Thanks for your time
Egnater Rebel 20/30 is a good bet. They go great with pedals and have good distortion.
Quote by Ic3
Tube amps are made for loud playing . so i would recomende a solid state for practicing .
Cuz tubs nead to run hot to sound good .

not completely true ... tubes sound their best at higher volumes, yes, but, they dont sound bad at low volumes, i use, both my Bugera 6262 and Peavey XXX for home practice, and just about get them above one, the Bugera sounds killer at low volumes and doesnt sound muddy, although, i dont know what you or TS class as "low volumes" but yeah, a smidget over 1 the bugera sounds killer, i feel the peavey needs a bit more "juice" to get a better tone though, but thats Personal opinion

and as both said HT-5 is a great little amp.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Ic3
Tube amps are made for loud playing . so i would recomende a solid state for practicing .
Cuz tubs nead to run hot to sound good .

I was under the impression that tube amps have a 'warmer', more 'real'?

I've heard that using good clean amps (like Fender Pro/Blues junior etc) with pedals are a good option? If I was to use an OD/Dist pedal with a Fender Pro, how good of a sound would I get? I know what William Reid of JAMC uses a Fender Twin for his distortion (with pedals of course).

Would this option allow me to get that real tube overdrive sound provided I get a good pedal?
I like to use pedals for basically all of my distortion tones. There are lots of good choices. With a Fender Pro Jr you are going to need a pedal for distortion. It's a prety clean amp and you have to crank it loud to get an OD tone. A Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde is a good choice. It has both a tubescreamer style OD and a higher gain distortion like a driven Marshall in one pedal.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Egnater Tweaker. $399. Has FX loop.

fixed.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
honestly i found that amp to be pretty lifeless. it didn't really have the bell like tones most tube amps get.

try a tweaker if you can.
Listen to 311 and Greg. Tweaker.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by UnseenBucket
What about a Blackstar HT-5?

Not a tube amp.

Go for teh Tweaker.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
How much are they in the UK? They're pretty cheap here in the States.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i just think you should "try" one. They aren't for everyone. At lower volumes it tends to be voiced relatively dark. It brightens up as you crank it up a bit.

just something to try.
Around £500 (roughly 750 dollars)....

Wtf, where are you guys buying this amp for 400 dollars?
Quote by Blacknoise
Around £500 (roughly 750 dollars)....

Wtf, where are you guys buying this amp for 400 dollars?

mine was 15% off of that.

yea its pretty sick for the money over here.

try to find a used laney vc15 or lc15? beckyjc is selling a tube laney, pm her maybe? those are cheap over by youz i believe
Quote by gregs1020
mine was 15% off of that.

yea its pretty sick for the money over here.

try to find a used laney vc15 or lc15? beckyjc is selling a tube laney, pm her maybe? those are cheap over by youz i believe

What a good idea.

I second this. PM beckyjc.

Quote by mmolteratx
Not a tube amp.

Go for teh Tweaker.

How is the HT-5 not a tube amp? sure there may be some not tube sections to the drive stage, but its not different than using a solid state OD infront of a tube amp. Its still tube, and it still sounds good!

Id recommend trying out the HT-5, its a great amp both clean and dirty.

Although that tweaker does look pretty good haha

try a few out!
Quote by jaybals
How is the HT-5 not a tube amp? sure there may be some not tube sections to the drive stage, but its not different than using a solid state OD infront of a tube amp. Its still tube, and it still sounds good!

Id recommend trying out the HT-5, its a great amp both clean and dirty.

Although that tweaker does look pretty good haha

try a few out!

Go check out the schem. It's a hybrid.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Like Greg said, I thought the Vox AC4TV was OK for its size and price but it was pretty one dimensional. Not sure how well it would take pedals.

The HT-5 is OK in my book despite being a 'hybrid'. It does have 2 channels and a headphone jack.

Neither can really hold a candle to the Tweaker. I didn't even realize it had a loop. All the better

Never played that Laney but that seems like a good deal and Becky is trustworthy and could prove to be the better value.

Quote by mmolteratx
Go check out the schem. It's a hybrid.

Is it?
Its not like a typical hybrid though, its tone still comes from tube clipping, it just has some solid state boosting in it, and a SS phase inverter i think, but i dont really know what that means. I still love the sound of it! It's still got preamp and power amp valves, thats tube to me, its not like most "hybrid" amps is it?
It's worth a look at though, small, good tone and features perfect fro playing at home!

on topic again, i quite liked the AC4, but i dont think its tones compare that much to some other amps in the price range. I Also really liked the Orange AD5 when i tried it out, really nice crunch and clean on it, but not many controls, and very 'loose' sounding to me, whic you might like!
Quote by jaybals
Is it?
Its not like a typical hybrid though, its tone still comes from tube clipping, it just has some solid state boosting in it, and a SS phase inverter i think, but i dont really know what that means. I still love the sound of it! It's still got preamp and power amp valves, thats tube to me, its not like most "hybrid" amps is it?
It's worth a look at though, small, good tone and features perfect fro playing at home!

on topic again, i quite liked the AC4, but i dont think its tones compare that much to some other amps in the price range. I Also really liked the Orange AD5 when i tried it out, really nice crunch and clean on it, but not many controls, and very 'loose' sounding to me, whic you might like!

Nope. The clipping comes from a pair of diodes. It sounds okay. It just sacrifices tone for features and low cost.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Just been looking at the Egnater Tweaker and I've read nothing but good reviews about it.

Whenever I youtube the different amps, they all sound incredibly similar through my headphones as the videos are obviously not doing the amps justice.

15 watts of tube seems very overkill for my house especially when people are saying how loud 5 watts can get.

Argh, this search for a amp is starting piss me off
Meh. Amps have volume controls for a reason. There's not a huge difference between 5 and 15 watts. I'd say base any purchase solely on tone and don't really pay attention to the wattage.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Trust me. Lots of people have said it so far but...the Tweaker. It can do AMAZING cleans and great crunch and lead tones. It's amazing. And it doesn't steal your soul with its price. Buy it.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Try a Peavey Classic 30. I'm a big fan of the cleans and the drive channel is good for vintage stuff. Also the effects loop is pretty decent.
Quote by jaybals
Is it?

The preamp is a hybrid. It has opamps with a clipping circuit just like a tubescreamer.
The power amp is a hybrid, it uses ugly bipolar junction transistors for the phase inverter.
Every part of the amp is a hybrid. They may do it differently to a lot of other hybrids but it is still a hybrid any way you look at it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if 5 watts is too loud get something with an attenuator, then you can crank it but keep it quiet
Quote by kirky boy
if 5 watts is too loud get something with an attenuator, then you can crank it but keep it quiet

umm, ok. attenuator on a 5 watt amp... the amp is not gonna have much headroom to begin with and it needs an attenuator? concepts like 'low wattage' and 'attenuators' have really run wild. at first it was kids looking for a 'quiet' amp so they went low wattage and we told them it just cut your headroom. then it was guys with 100 watt amps that wanted to be 'quiet' whilst still cranking their power section into saturation and we told them to get lower wattage amps or an attenuator. now they just get the small amp and throw an attenuator on it?

do you guys know that loud speakers are designed to get loud, they aren't really designed for 'whisper quiet' operation. if it has to be so quiet that you need to be standing next to the amp anyway then just use some headphones and stop trying make loudspeakers be quieter than they were ever intended (why would you need a 12" speaker to 'amplify' a signal below a speaking voice?).

anyway, thats not all i disagree with. screw a tweaker, best practice amp ever: valco's. pick ya up a supro valco from somewhere, if you don't feel like going used then you don't deserve the best practice amp ever anyway.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Regardless of the HT-5 being a hybrid, it does perform pretty well. It can get some decent sounding breakup on the clean channel that is from the tube. The distortion channel sounds good too. You just need to play it and decide if it's the kind of distortion tone you like.

Sometimes I think people get too focused on the whole "pure" tube sound. I owned a Classic 30 for a couple years and never cared for the "all tube" tone with distortion channel engaged. I prefered the distortion from my Nady TD-1 "starved plate" tube pedal, and other SS pedals. Not to mention how gaga people are over $200-$300 SS distortion pedals. In the end it's not ther design but the sound. And not all people prefer the same sound.

I recently picked up a Tweaker. Unlike most peole who have a honeymoon with their new purchase and then want a divorce, I had no honeymoon with this amp. The first thing I noticed was that it was dark and unable to achieve some tones regardless of it's tweakability. There are other people who have commented on this, and a backlash of others saying it will do anything and it must be my cab/speakers. Well I use other amps with the same cab and there is a noticeable difference.

The Tweaker has some great tones but I find it to be a "gnary" sounding amp when using gain, in the same way the Muff is a "gnarly" sounding distortion pedal. Not that they sound the same but as a metaphor. I do use the amp clean with my pedalbaord and it sounds not only great but I can get the chrispness in the distortions I can't get with out the pedals. I've also plugged my GNX4 into the FX return and it sounds very nice.

Even though 5 watts is loud, there is IMO a reason to get a 15 watt amp even for playing in the house. There is a certain in your face puchiness that you get with the extra wattage. Low frequencies take more power than high frequencies. You can get the volume from 5 watts, but you may not get the volume from all the frequencies. You can still run a 15 watt amp at a practice volume but the extra power delivers the extra punch were the 5 watter dribbles off.
^needs to get that sovtech out of v1.

an old 70s champ would work too...
I've considered that perhaps I should try changing out the preamp tubes. I've give that a try soon.
Quote by fly135
I've considered that perhaps I should try changing out the preamp tubes. I've give that a try soon.

i put an EH12ax7 in v1, and a jj in v3 with good results. also, try el34s for power tubes.