Poll: Which would you choose or list another.
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you choose or list another.
Keeley Compressor $150-225
4 36%
Visual Sounds Comp 66 $50-90
2 18%
Maxon CP101 $80
1 9%
Other please list in post.
4 36%
Voters: 11.
I'm in the market for a compressor. I've got it down to the following three. All have some good and bad points.

Which would you choose and why?

My options are...

Keeley - $150-225 ish depending on if i go new or used. and used ones aren't super easy to come by, but it can happen.

Visual Sounds Comp 66 - $50-100 depending on if the craigslist dude get's back to me, otherwise new is around $90.

Maxon CP101 - $80 used. Good condition, only used by one asian kid that has waaaay too many amps for his ability. and he gets banned a lot.

i'm not all fussed about the money, but it's a cost vs quality thing. i'd rather get the most bang for my buck.

so thoughts?
I really liked the Route 66 when I had it...haven't played the other two enough to say whether I like them or not. Don't use compressor much these days... The Route 66 was nice though...had the tone switch, very versatile.
Eesh, none of those.

Barber Tone Press if you want a really transparent comp, EXH Soul preacher if you want a super dirty tone coloring squish-monster. Both are relatively cheap, too.
CMATMODS makes really good compressors. They have a ross clone that is nice and spongy like you expect a ross clone to be and then they have what he calls the sigma comp which is my personal favorite. He has 2, 3, and 4 knob types and mine is the 3 knob. It's very low noise and it's very transparent. When I 1st got it I was disappointed because it was so transparent but now I don't know how I ever survived without it. It's great for tightening up your tone when you have open pickup and want to play high gain and for adding sustain without sounding compressed.

I also really like my Guyatone TC-X. It's my most musical compressor and has more flexibility than any stomp box compressor I've ever seen. It's got a total of 6 knobs to tweak to your liking so it takes a while to get dialed in but once you do it's worth it. It's not a good compressor for somebody that uses high gain because the valve adds a fair bit of noise but if you are playing low gain it's awesome. It is discontinued so you would have to go used but it's worth the trouble of finding it.
Well i have a feeling i will be trying as many of these as i did od pedals.

i'm grabbing the $50 Comp 66, just talked to the dude. mainly because if i don't like it i'll flip it on ebay for more.

again, please keep the options coming. colin, i have yet to run into a barber, but i've heard good things. i did not like the soul preacher honestly.

Cord, thanks for the info. i'm a "fewer knobs the better" guy usually but i will look into the CMATMODS. thanks again.
Quote by gregs1020
i did not like the soul preacher honestly.

I know. Nobody does.
Quote by CorduroyEW
CMATMODS makes really good compressors. They have a ross clone that is nice and spongy like you expect a ross clone to be and then they have what he calls the sigma comp which is my personal favorite. He has 2, 3, and 4 knob types and mine is the 3 knob. It's very low noise and it's very transparent. When I 1st got it I was disappointed because it was so transparent but now I don't know how I ever survived without it. It's great for tightening up your tone when you have open pickup and want to play high gain and for adding sustain without sounding compressed.

I also really like my Guyatone TC-X. It's my most musical compressor and has more flexibility than any stomp box compressor I've ever seen. It's got a total of 6 knobs to tweak to your liking so it takes a while to get dialed in but once you do it's worth it. It's not a good compressor for somebody that uses high gain because the valve adds a fair bit of noise but if you are playing low gain it's awesome. It is discontinued so you would have to go used but it's worth the trouble of finding it.

Was about to suggest Cmat, great comps those are, might get one later on
Quote by Roc8995
I know. Nobody does.

I do!

I just don't feel like I'll ever use a compressor enough to snag one.
The Barber is really nice for the price. What comp I'd recommend depends on what you want. If you want transparent, the Joemeek FloorQ is the greatest thing ever but they're $250 new and don't come up used often. The Demeter Compulator, Diamond Comp and the Barber mentioned are nice alternatives. Barber being the cheapest.

For a squishy type tone, any of the Ross clones are nice. Keeley, Analogman, Retro Sonic, etc. Keeley is a bit more transparent in the high end than most Ross clones which you may like better. I'm also a fan of the Custom Shop Dyna Comp RI.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by stykerwolf
Was about to suggest Cmat, great comps those are, might get one later on

do i hear some yoda in there?

thanks matt and claude.
I've got an HBE compressor retro......damn good pedal!
Cmat are nice, but if you're looking for a Ross compressor on the cheap, take a look out for a Retro-Sonic Compressor. Great little pedals. Played a Keeley and have the Retro-Sonic, I wouldn't pay more for the Keeley.

If you do want to pay more, don't get a Keeley, get an Analogman, the small 3-knob CompROSSor is great, and so is the Bicomp. Just because Analogman is cooler then Keeley.

If you want transparant compression, they Barber or Diamond compressors can't be beaten.

Others to look at:
Analogman Juicer
Barber Tone Press
BJF Pine Green Compressor
Farndurk Burgs
Fromel Velvet Vice
HBE CPR
Mad Professor Forest Green Compressor
MXR ’76 Dyna Comp
MXR Custom Comp
Okko CocaComp
Wampler Ego Compressor
Meh. All the Ross clones sound pretty much the same. The Keeley is the only one that stood out to me as slightly different since it messes with the high end less. The Analogman, Retro Sonic and others are all exact clones, some with the added attack knob. All are great though.

The Juicer/Orange Squeezer clone is a sick compressor if you use single coils. It squashed the attack too much when I was using my LP or SG and wound up sounding pretty nasty. That's what I liked about the Barber. It didn't **** with the attack at all. Neither does the Joemeek. The Demeter and Diamond did somewhat but it wasn't nearly as noticeable as the OS and the Ross with low attack settings.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
thanks guys, the more im reading about and listening to clips the worse this gets. i think im going to have to play a bunch and see what stands out to me. pls keep the ideas coming.