I've just started to mess about with recording, and I've been using reaper to do all my recording, and I have to questions:
1) At the start of all my tracks, there is a moment where nothing is being played, as when I recorded it, I clicked record on my computer, then it takes me a moment to pick up my guitar and start playing. Is it possible to remove parts of tracks, or even whole songs?
2)I it possible to record so that the ending of one song runs into with the start of another, as you hear on some CDs, or would I need something more professional to do this?

If either of these are possible, could you tell me how I would go about doing so. Thank-you.

EDIT: Ok I have another, quite simple one I feel stupid for asking, how do I get the metronome to work?
Last edited by robhc at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by robhc
I've just started to mess about with recording, and I've been using reaper to do all my recording, and I have to questions:
1) At the start of all my tracks, there is a moment where nothing is being played, as when I recorded it, I clicked record on my computer, then it takes me a moment to pick up my guitar and start playing. Is it possible to remove parts of tracks, or even whole songs?
2)I it possible to record so that the ending of one song runs into with the start of another, as you hear on some CDs, or would I need something more professional to do this?

If either of these are possible, could you tell me how I would go about doing so. Thank-you.

EDIT: Ok I have another, quite simple one I feel stupid for asking, how do I get the metronome to work?

1. this might be due to latency, which is basically when there is a delay between when you play and when it is received by the computer. getting a good recording interface can help

2. not sure how this is done in general. but im pretty sure there's a way to do it

click on the metronome button in the top left part of the screen, and right click to adjust it's settings
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
for the second one, keep recording afterward. then keep a feedback part or a chord running for a few seconds. you can edit that part into the ending of the one song, and the beginning of another. if you arent good with editing, simply start recording the next song directly after the feedback part ends, then export it from that part (end one there, start the second there).

for the first question, yes it is possible to remove parts and whole songs. removing parts (cropping) can be done two main ways. one is to drag the side over (not shifting track) until the part you want is gone. but that way limits you to the spacing of your time slots. another way is to "split item at cursor" or whatever its called. click where you want it to be split, and right click to find that option. then simply delete the unwanted part.

to delete a whole song, either just start a new file, or highlight the track and hit delete.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
1. this might be due to latency, which is basically when there is a delay between when you play and when it is received by the computer. getting a good recording interface can help

Latency may have a small part to do with it, though most of it is the time gap between me clicking record, reaching over and picking up my guitar, then starting to play. I just simply can't start playing as soon as I hit record lol.

And thanks about the metronome. I did have it working, I just didn't have the speakers loud enough to hear it

Quote by User_Name336
for the second one, keep recording afterward. then keep a feedback part or a chord running for a few seconds. you can edit that part into the ending of the one song, and the beginning of another. if you arent good with editing, simply start recording the next song directly after the feedback part ends, then export it from that part (end one there, start the second there).

for the first question, yes it is possible to remove parts and whole songs. removing parts (cropping) can be done two main ways. one is to drag the side over (not shifting track) until the part you want is gone. but that way limits you to the spacing of your time slots. another way is to "split item at cursor" or whatever its called. click where you want it to be split, and right click to find that option. then simply delete the unwanted part.

to delete a whole song, either just start a new file, or highlight the track and hit delete.

Thank you very much. I'll try that tomorrow to see if I can do it, it's a bit too late to be recording now lol.