...are they any good? Thinking of buying them...

...and if theyre not so great,what would be recommended instead?

Btw I'm mostly into punk,but also like alotta metal (IE Metallica,Slipknot,etc.)

Thanks ^_^
Last edited by xGreenDay182x at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by xGreenDay182x
...are they any good? Thinking of buying them...

...and if theyre not so great,what would be recommended instead?

Btw I'm mostly into punk,but also like alotta metal (IE Metallica,Slipknot,etc.)

Thanks ^_^

Get a Vintage Modified or Classic Vintage precision instead.

Sublime Fuzz is awesome but it's really bulky and hard to fit on a pedal board.
dont buy the Mike Dirnt one cause its his, your better off with a VM and a plus is you dont get the silly decal which put me off the bass for a backup.Might just get the Fender one *shrugs* at some point.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
What gear are you currently using? Bass? Amp? Used market is always your friend. You could find a used MIM P in your price range if you looked hard enough.
@Spazy91,thanks. I'll look into those as well.
@Razgriz_101,okay,good point.
@consecutive e,I'm using a knock-off P-Bass made by New York Pro. I'm playin it through a Behringer Ultrabass BT108. It's a 15 watt amp,okay for practice,but it probably wouldnt be too good for gigs when/if I get them. (I'm yet to join/start a band)
Last edited by xGreenDay182x at Sep 1, 2010,
I recommend spending at least £200 (or the $ equivalent).

Look at: Ashdown, Acoustic, Kustom, etc. Behringer really are terrible and if you're moving from on Pbass to another a new amp will make much more difference.

Looking at review your knock off bass doesn't seem to be all that bad and a low end Squier (like the Mike Dirnt P) would not be much better. Try upgrading the hardware and electronics or just getting some new strings. I know its nice to just buy new basses but really amps come first in priority.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 1, 2010,
Ok thanks I'll look into those. Are they good for distorted tones? And what brand strings would you reccomend?
Quote by xGreenDay182x
..and what brands for pickups,brideges,etc.?

if your really wantin to mod pups and get it fairly good.

Im gonna say Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, Ian Grushkah (NFG) and Mark Hoppus use them on their bass's so to give you an idea in your ball park of music that these are the daddy's and versatile buggers.

Also Steve Harris (iron maiden) uses em after i seen you saying bout metal.

Badass Bridges are good and come on Highway 1's (personally i think the best cheaper Fender bass's around.)
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Razgriz_101
Badass Bridges are good and come on Highway 1's (personally i think the best cheaper Fender bass's around.)

Badass Bridges look cool but a Gotoh 201 will do the same job for half the price.
Quote by Spaz91
Badass Bridges look cool but a Gotoh 201 will do the same job for half the price.

very true i forgot bout gotoh.

Im modding an old Jim Deacon (basically a rebadged SX) and was looking for a bridge cant believe i forgot gotoh *facepalm*
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Upgrades for a P Bass:

Gotoh 201 Bridge. Maybe route/drill and fit string-through ferrules. (String goes through the body.)
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder.
New tuners, Hipshot or Gotoh. Mayber a Hipshot Xtender.
= total punk beast.

For punk and maybe metal then I would reccomend a decent set of stainless steel strings. Rotosound or Stadium Elites.

Once you've got all this set up, start saving for a Fender signature Mike Dirnt of Mark Hoppus, thems is real good. (You might want to fit a tone control for the Mark Hoppus bass though.)

I hope you have a job.
Quote by xGreenDay182x
Btw is Ampeg any good?

Where are you located by the way? Different gear is cheaper if different countries.
Quote by Spaz91
Their cheaper stuff isn't too good, the high end stuff is great.

I wouldn't say their cheaper stuff isn't good. Now horrendously overpriced for what your get ....that's another story.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Any brands like Ampeg that have cheaper stuff that are accually good?
@consecutive e,I'm in the USA.
All those basses are fantastic though I wouldn't recommend the Telebass (the one with a humbucker at the neck) as its for a older, thumpier stuff.

As for the amp, you can do a lot better for that price.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482900 Thats double the wattage for the same price.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 6, 2010,
Okay cool. What's your number one choice for a new bass,or shall I just stick to my knock off?
And that amp looks BEAST! I must have it! How do yu think it would sound with the Sublime Fuzz pedal plugged into it?

Ps I sorta screwed up with the links. I posted the white P-Bass twice O.O
Here's what I meant:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639
Out of all those basses I would say get the Jaguar, for variety of tone. I suppose buying a new bass isn't so bad if it's one of those, they good investments.
I'd never seen the squier jag before...Man I'm getting GAS...but no, I shud pay to get my ricken-faker set up first...sigh...but yeah,if you can afford it,get that bass,but as has been said,deffo get a better amp first, a good amp can work with a mediocre bass, but not the other way round...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Sooooooooooooooo Squier Jaguar with the Acoustic B100? Soooooooouuuuuuuuunnnnnnndss like a plannnn!!!!!!!!!!!