hi guys

i just wondering about valve amps and distortion/overdrive pedals.
my main question is...
do you use solid state pedals to overdrive the valves in the amp?
or do you use valve pedals?

i know there re people who will say "just use the gain channel on your amp" but lets say im talking about a fender single channel amp and i love the cleans but i want more distortion than just cranking it.

any opinions?
SING?
WRITE SONGS?
IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO ANY OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS THEN THIS IS THE GROUP FOR YOU!!!

/SINGER-SONG WRITERS
Valves in pedals are usually just a gimmick.
90% of pedals are SS, and 90% of valve pedals are more marketing than function... Just my estimates, but you get the idea... Go with a good old, SS pedal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Two of my best sounding pedals are tube, and a couple of my other best sounding pedals are SS. You wouldn't know whether a pedal is tube or SS unless you were told (or looked at it). I don't like to say it's a gimmick because it either sounds good or it doesn't. And neither of my tube pedals are using non-functional tubes. They are part of the design.

Choose based on budget and the way it sounds. No need to insist on one or the other.
I'll save you the problem, get a Marshall lol
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote by MarshallStackLP
I'll save you the problem, get a Boss HM-2 lol

Fixed.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah, an overwhelming majority of pedals are SS, only a small percentage are tube powered. And even then, a lot of tube pedals (especially lower quality ones), have a tube running in starvation mode (low voltage) which really doesn't help anything and is just a gimmick. If you can find a tubed pedal running in high voltage, then the tube does add a bit of warmth, but most of time not enough to justify the extra cost.

But I will say that my H&K Tube Factor kicks most OD's butts.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by STABxYOU
Fixed.

Mmmm Boss HM

Anyway...it's pretty much been said before. There's nothing wrong with non-tube pedals and for some applications they can be better. Tube pedals can be great too, but it's not like they're intrinsically better or anything
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet