Any tips/helpful info to know about playing at Battle of the Bands? This will be me and my band's first gig, and its not until the middle of November, so we've got a ways to go, but we want to be prepared. So, any help? Anything about setup, mixing, crowd interaction/stage moves, and practicing beforehand?
Thanks.
Sending a dummy to my God.

Here's what we did, and we won last year;
Depending on the time limit you have, determine a solid, set-in-stone setlist.
Ours was Paranoid by Sabbath, Fade to Black by Metallica, Comfortably Numb by Floyd, and then one of our strongest original songs.
Practice the hell out of your setlist, play through it 3 or 4 times each practice; and hammer out the kinks. Once you've got that down? Work on stage stuff, Me and the other guitarist did some side-by-side moves during a harmony, the singer got a clap going during our solos. etc.

Once you do that? Just enjoy the hell out of playing the show.
And as sellout as this sounds, more commercially popular songs, get much better responses. I.E. Seek and Destroy or Enter Sandman instead of Fade.

Best of luck dude!
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Is the winner decided by the crowd? If so, assuming the majority of the crowd is non-musicians, I suggest that you just play something everyone know, or something the crowd can pick up easily. If the winner is decided by a musical jury, then I suppose you could play something more advanced and demanding.

Good luck!
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Unfortunately these guys are right, you might not like it but at the battle of the bands I went to, the more 'pop' bands did better.

I was the only one to cheer for the metal band
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Bring as many friends and people who are already fans as possible, because the crowd reaction is usually at least a factor in how well you place.

See if you can get any gigs beforehand, to get used to playing in front of people.
Do rock covers of pop songs, they always go down well as they sound and look more complex and technical but the audience can still get involved, plus they're fun as hell to play.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by NickGiovanni
Here's what we did, and we won last year;
Depending on the time limit you have, determine a solid, set-in-stone setlist.
Ours was Paranoid by Sabbath, Fade to Black by Metallica, Comfortably Numb by Floyd, and then one of our strongest original songs.
Practice the hell out of your setlist, play through it 3 or 4 times each practice; and hammer out the kinks. Once you've got that down? Work on stage stuff, Me and the other guitarist did some side-by-side moves during a harmony, the singer got a clap going during our solos. etc.

Once you do that? Just enjoy the hell out of playing the show.
And as sellout as this sounds, more commercially popular songs, get much better responses. I.E. Seek and Destroy or Enter Sandman instead of Fade.

Best of luck dude!

That's actually some pretty solid advice, and your setlist kicked ass!

TS, I think this would be a lot better that doing pop covers, that would just be... ugh.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
That's actually some pretty solid advice, and your setlist kicked ass!

TS, I think this would be a lot better that doing pop covers, that would just be... ugh.

Yeah other than the fact that unless the scene in his area was metal he'd lose.

It's called pop music for a reason, if you wanna win, use it. You'll only win doing metal if you play either astoundingly or very easy to listen to metal.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
When we play our school BOTB, we just treat it like any other gig and never treat it as a competition.

But buy a shit load of glow sticks from poundland and throw them out to the crowd or something like that. Get the crowd involved.
play what you like and enjoy it, win or lose.
look at it like this: do you want to remember your first gig as you and your band playing pop songs?
Quote by Todd Hart

It's called pop music for a reason, if you wanna win, use it. You'll only win doing metal if you play either astoundingly or very easy to listen to metal.

What's funny is, my town's music scene is alt/indie and metal, so those guys win battle of the bands.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Well, the stuff we'll be playing could be counted as poppy I guess, but I'd call it more alternative..
Our setlist right now (could change) is:
Sunburn-Muse
Original
Original
Resistance-Muse

Yeah, we've got an obsession with Muse.

Right now they told us to only have about four songs to play, but that can change depending on the number of bands entering.

Quote by Todd Hart

A. Pink Floyd =/= Metal
B. All those songs (I'm assuming his original too) were easy listening metal. I know a lot of people who don't listen to anything heavier than Nickleback that still like Fade to Black.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Song list for you:

With Arms Wide Open: Creed
<insert Weezer single>
Boulevard of Broken Dreams: Green Day
Tribute: Tenacious D
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
play free bird
instant win

LOL
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by herby190
Bring as many friends and people who are already fans as possible, because the crowd reaction is usually at least a factor in how well you place.

This. Also, don't make it boring. Jump around the stage and whatever the hell else, but don't just stand there.
Quote by protest000
Well, the stuff we'll be playing could be counted as poppy I guess, but I'd call it more alternative..
Our setlist right now (could change) is:
Sunburn-Muse
Original
Original
Resistance-Muse

Yeah, we've got an obsession with Muse.

Right now they told us to only have about four songs to play, but that can change depending on the number of bands entering.

Better Muse songs. I recommend Stockholm Syndrome and Hysteria or New Born
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
It depends completely on who is judging it. In my last year of school there was a talent contest with two events, one in the daytime for the pupils to watch and one at night for the parents. The winner for the one in the day was judged by the pupils and the one at night by a panel consisting of a radio dj, someone once in a reasonably successful band I've never heard of and a music teacher. Most of the acts did the same thing in both sessions but one band outwitted everyone by playing a song that was very popular at the time in the morning (Flourescent Adolescent by the Arctic Monkeys) and then played a song they wrote at the evening one. Unsurprisingly, they won both times. They were actually rather good so I wasn't too bothered.

Another idea could be to do a cover and throw in some original (but tasteful) elements. For example, in a talent show the band i was in won, I threw a simple slap bass line into the bridge of a KT Tunstall song, which for some reason gathered quite good praise from the crowd afterwards.

Your song list at the moment is not too bad, id just replace one of the muse songs with an inventive cover of some sort, or perhaps something with a slower tempo if your originals are quite fast.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Gargantuan's Guide to Arriving at a show early!
The advantages to arriving early to your gig.

1. If you are missing a piece of equipment, you will have more time to go home and retrieve it. Double check everything off of a list before you leave for the venue.

2. You will have more time to set up your equipment, do the sound check, and so on. You can play your asses of, but if the equipment isn't set up properly, you might lose!

3. No one wants to wait around for your band to show up, right? Ensuring that you are early or even on time may boost your credibility as a working band.

MC name = Bearrorism