So there is this shop at my hometown in NJ which my friend owns and i took guitar lessons there for more than 2 years. I found out that he can make a custom guitar to every spec you want ranging from $500-$1200 and takes 4-5 weeks depending on the specs and finish options. I found out when my teacher actually ordered a custom strat with HSH (Dimarzios) and an original floyd ( i don't know how much ). I've heard of companies that also do it like carvin. He has a lot of stock parts from Sperzel, Gotoh, Schaller, Gibson, Fender, Bigsby, Grover, and Dimarzio. But i bet you're asking "Why are you posting this?" I just wanted to ask is it really worth getting your own custom guitar? Has anyone done it before and was satisfied?
Last edited by SilverRock113 at Aug 31, 2010,
Well I mean really it's ideal for getting exactly what you want, so I don't see the problem with it.
All depends on the builder. Some do fantastic work, others do not. You need to find out if the specific builer is good or not. Who is the builder in question?

I'll say this. I would NEVER spend over $800 on a production line guitar. If I'm spending that kind of money I want it built by a true luthier, not some hourly employee.
Last edited by webwarmiller at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by webwarmiller
All depends on the builder. Some do fantastic work, others do not. You need to find out if the specific builer is good or not. Who is the builder in question?

I'll say this. I would NEVER spend over $800 on a production line guitar. If I'm spending that kind of money I want it built by a true luthier, not some hourly employee.

http://www.metropolisnj.com/about.html
This will give you info
This is very random but he has a signed Yngwie Strat (Scalloped)
I'd say the best way to work out if it's worth it is to ask if you can play your teacher's guitar once he's got it. Then work out if you think this guy would be able to make your ideal type of guitar properly.

If you think it might be a good idea then go and talk t the guy in person if you can - most of these local builders are happy to go over ideas and stuff to see if they can make something you'll really enjoy
I'd say go try some guitars that he made and that look similar to what you have in mind, ask him about what kind of necks is he using, what kind of pickups etc ...
One another thing, don't focus a lot on the looks, show him that you know a lot about guitars. Then you ask him to make one for you, focus on the details so that everything will be perfect for you... You don't pay more than 700$ for a custom made guitar that isn't gonna look and sound unique and rare
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.
If you're getting exactly what you want in a guitar, of course it's worth it. but where in nj and what's the name of the store?