I'm planning on building an 8x10 bass cab. Any reccommendations for speakers?
I play in a funk band mainly, but it will also be used for rock stuff too !
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

It's a hartke 3500 combo that im turning into a head. I need some new speakers anyway because they're all old and rattly
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

I'm assuming from the union jack you're uk based. The Celestions are a good choice as the magnets are a decent size, excursion and efficiency are ok and they have a useful midrange pesk which will give them a punchy musical sound. The downside is that they have achieved this at the expense of deep bass response as there resonance is 77 or 65 Hz which will go up to 80 in a cabinet which is an octave over bottom E. Below resonance they will drop 12dB per octave in sealed cabs and 18-24dB in a ported cab. Having said this most of what we hear as bass is harmonics anyway so they will probably sound ok. Faced with the same choice I went for the Fane 10-275 which go deeper but weigh a ton. I struggle with a 4x10 on a good flight of stairs, an eight would be an interesting lift.

I've written an article on this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/choosing_speakers_to_drive_your_cabs.html

which I hope you might find useful.

I did a whole lot of calculations on all the speakers I could find at a reasonable price in the UK at the time, if you want I could look them out.

Cheers
oh sweet !
Thanks a lot dude i'll give it a look !
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna