Ok , so I finally decided that I am going to get an Epiphone Les Paul Studio for my first electric guitar. I went to Guitar Center and there is a cool Walnut one on display.. Picked it up and played it and I like it. Came home and was looking at reviews and I don't see any complaints about this special edition Epi Les Paul. I noticed on Musicians Friend it sells for $349.00 No tax (not in my state) and free shipping. Shipped to my house for $349.00 payed by pay pal.
Guitar Center says they will beat any price.. The same exact guitar there sells for $399.00 plus there will be a 6% sales tax. Not sure if they have one in stock or just the one on the floor.. I figure if I am going to buy "new" then get one in the box, right?
Will Guitar Center actually "beat" the $349.00 price? If Guitar Center lowers the price to $349.00 I will still have to pay sales tax and that means paying over the price match guarantee. No where in the "restrictions" does it say "before sales tax"
Plus I can feel the pressure of the extended warrentee push I am going to get from the sales man.. They act like you offended them when u tell them to F-off.. Manufacture's warentee is good enough. Epi's usually have limited lifetime, so what else can a service contract offer?? Oh I am sure the sales man will clear that up for me! I feel like telling him right from the start, you pressure me with service contract and I walk. Which I might anyway if I have to pay a penny over $349.00 Unless he wants to make me pay the sales tax but sweetins' the deal by offering me a gig bag or case or a free set -up.. Thanks for reading this.. Hurry with your reply please.. I am really itching to buy this guitar!!
Thanks!
Craig
I say try it. Ive always wondered about this
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
They're the same company. That's odd that in-store one is more expensive, unless it's some sort of limited edition. Try it out regardless.

Our salesman at my local GC ask once, then again, then accept it with no ill feelings.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Well it wouldn't hurt to go to guitar center and try to get it cheaper. You could always leave if you don't get what you want but if you just order it you know exactly what you are going to have to pay. It never hurts to try, and I wouldn't worry too much about getting pressured about a warranty they can't force you to get it.
Guitar Centerdoes price matching. Bring in a print out of the page from MF. They'll go on line and as long as it's the exact same guitar, give you the exact same price
I know they'll price match, but I'm not sure they'll factor sales tax in. It's worth a shot at least.
-Ben

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
Ibanez Gio
Jasmine S35
Aria 12 String
Wow thanks for the replies already!
Only thing is if I buy it on line, it is payed for sight unseen. If it has a blemish in the wood grain I don't like or a possible ding in shipping. etc.
All the reviews for Musicians Friend have all been positive on here. There is no doubt I will need to do a set up. I have allowed that in the price of the new guitar, and that is ok. The techs at Guitar center can have the money for that. A set up would be around the same price as the sales tax, so even a free set up would cancel the sales tax.With economy the way it is, why not go for the real lowest price.
I was reading in other threads about GC coupons.. I got one for 25 bucks off a purchase of $199.00 or more with an * after the 199.00.. in my Email today for signing up when I had the action lowered on my Acoustic.. All the replies on here about coupons said they exclude anything good you would want to buy.. Well the * said I could not get the 25 bucks off if I used it with a price match.. So I guess u guys were right about coupons.
A couple years ago guitar center bought out musicians friend, there the same site, just different HTML. all the guitars, prices, options sales, all are identical.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by HalfDose
Guitar Centerdoes price matching. Bring in a print out of the page from MF. They'll go on line and as long as it's the exact same guitar, give you the exact same price

Thanks for your reply.. I also printed out the ad showing same exact guitar that Amazon is selling.. Although that is $349.00 PLUS shipping and PLUS Sales tax.. Where MF is free for both.. I mean a 85 dollar savings is pretty significant.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
A couple years ago guitar center bought out musicians friend, there the same site, just different HTML. all the guitars, prices, options sales, all are identical.

Hmmm I see about $80.00 difference between the 2 sites.. (price difference and sales tax)

MF

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Walnut-Electric-Guitar-?sku=581894&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=447189239

GC

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Ltd-Ed-Les-Paul-Studio-Walnut-Electric-Guitar-105938773-i1479933.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=589357298
Last edited by CRAIGARRR at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I would get it at AMS personally I and many others have had bad experiences with Guitar centers shipping/returns.

LINK

Thanks for the link Way Cool! I will keep them in mind when I need to buy some accesories!! I have a Guitar Center less than 5 miles from my house so having the guitar in hand is one of my concerns.. I can see it and inspect it if I get it from GC if they will definately price match.. On the internet you don't have that option of looking it over before you fork over the cash.. The 45 day return policy is deffinately a good one (if there is not a 15% restocking charge wich is understandable if someone returns it just because they dont like it or changes their mind)
Quote by CRAIGARRR

The sales differ, by a couple of weeks give or take.

Also musicians friend is having an anniversary sale, that site's launch date is different than GC.

What good for the company is it to Run two completely identical sites?

"Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts Center, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Center
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Last edited by Sinister Waffle at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Man your lucky I wish I had a guitar center that close to me. I have to order everything never being able to try it first. My local shop (mom & pop)charges full MSRP for everything and you have to pay up front for them to order what you want because they only supply basic things and only have a few guitars. They wanted about $800 for my Schecter Damien special FR after tax that I bought online for $265 on closeout brand new. So yeah it sucks but I have been happy wth everything I got so far and saved a small fortune.

And there is always Ebay and Craig's list..MSRP is just a joke.. Like if you ever bought jewelry, That figure is just way out in left field.. I saw some schecter Damien's on Craigs list here in CT. I was very tempted in getting one.. The bat inlays are killer!!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
The sales differ, by a couple of weeks give or take.

Also musicians friend is having an anniversary sale, that site's launch date is different than GC.

What good for the company is it to Run two completely identical sites?

"Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts Center, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Center

Well I guess that is good for me then.. I have both an arts and music store and a Guitar Center less than 10 miles from my house.. No wonder why they will match prices.. They have a monopoly!! We just need a Sam Ash in the area to keep the compitition and the prices lower.. Only one of Sam Ash in Connecticut and thats about an hour a way.. Well now that I know they both are owned by one corprate HOG.. I wont feel guilty if GC doesn't give me a deal.. I know MF will.. Profits going into the same pocket anyways.. I must say it feels better paying for something and taking it home right away rather than waiting for the mail.. Mail always seems to take so dang long!! But it sure is nice to know you saved some cash!
Musician's Friend is awesome. It sucks having to wait for your stuff, but if I order on a Sunday its usually here by Wednesday. I have ordered guitars from them before and none had any flaws. They were in need of a setup but exactly what I wanted otherwise. Every time I buy anything from guitar center I always wish I had just waited and gotten it from MF. GCs customer service is lousy, they'll charge you tax on the "price matching" and be dicks about it, and half the time they have to order what you want for you anyways.

AMS is pretty cool too, and Sweetwater seems good but neither one of them would give me a credit card
I did this exact thing when I bought my les paul. I printed it out and took it in. They figured in sales tax as well. If you go this weekend they have 15% off at guitar center so you could probably get that too. If you ask for one from the back (they usually have more in the back unless it's a rare guitar or extremely expensive) that's brand new in the box. Sorry this is a couple days late but it could be helpful.
Guitar Center will match it and take off an additional 10%...so that will take care of your sales tax. I bought an Alesis Midi/USB Keyboard from them after they matched an online price and discounted the 10%.
I ended up going to get the guitar (epiphone les paul special edition walnut studio) on Thursday with the Amazon,Musician's Friend ads in hand. They gave me the price match as well as the (10% of the difference off).. Salesman talked me into buying the service contract for 60 bucks.. 3 years covers parts and labor and 10 years on Body and Neck. Considering one repair would probably cost 60 bucks.. With the Epi, eh.. Might just be cost effective.. But you can't tell me that they don't make some sort of commision pushing that service contract.. This guy was squeezin' me like a friggin vice.. I thought I was at some kind of property time share seminar!! I caved.. UGHHH Only part of the sale I did not like.. I almost kinda hope it does break so I get to use it so the 60 bucks don't go to waste!
I went online before I went there to see if they had it in stock,online it said GC had 2 in Manchester.. Well they JUST had the floor model.. Had to order it from Kansas City and will be here on Wed. due to holiday.. Can't wait! Had it shipped back to GC in case it needed a set up as well as so they can inspect it with me to see if it was damaged in shipping.
So all in all it was like I paid GC full price but now I have the service contract. I walk away with peace of mind.. Unlike if I bought it used from Craig's list. Never knowing what is going to go wrong.Least I know it is covered for next 3 and 10 years.. And even transferable if I want to sell it.
I think GC lived up to their bargain.I am quite satisfied with my experience and purchase!
Thanks for all your input! It not only helped me but it will help the next person as well.
Peace!

Craig
Last edited by CRAIGARRR at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by greg3456
Musician's Friend is awesome. It sucks having to wait for your stuff, but if I order on a Sunday its usually here by Wednesday. I have ordered guitars from them before and none had any flaws. They were in need of a setup but exactly what I wanted otherwise. Every time I buy anything from guitar center I always wish I had just waited and gotten it from MF. GCs customer service is lousy, they'll charge you tax on the "price matching" and be dicks about it, and half the time they have to order what you want for you anyways.

AMS is pretty cool too, and Sweetwater seems good but neither one of them would give me a credit card

Hahah well you are better off you did not get the credit card greg, you know what kinda damage you could do in one of those stores with credit!
Quote by xkreedx
I did this exact thing when I bought my les paul. I printed it out and took it in. They figured in sales tax as well. If you go this weekend they have 15% off at guitar center so you could probably get that too. If you ask for one from the back (they usually have more in the back unless it's a rare guitar or extremely expensive) that's brand new in the box. Sorry this is a couple days late but it could be helpful.

Thanks for yopur reply.. If you look at the fine print on any of the coupons.. They say can not be used with a price match.. I did get the coupons in the mail yesterday and I think I am going to get a nice strap with the 15% off coupon. Wish cases were on sale this weekend.. Need a les paul case for it.Or even just a nice padded gig bag.
Hahah well you are better off you did not get the credit card greg, you know what kinda damage you could do in one of those stores with credit!

Haha oh I have a Musicians Friend card that's perpetually maxed, it's glorious.
Hey, I know I'm bumping an old thread but I actually just purchased the same guitar as well,

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Walnut-Electric-Guitar-581894-i1784307.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=589357298

and I just wanted to know how the guitar plays or any reviews about the guitar since I won't be able to play it for a few months (currently out of the country).
the price match. ive called and asked. they are the same company, so its not hard to price match to themselves if your nice about it.
Musicians Friend, I've been using them for 5 years and have never been let down.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by Toxic Dover
I know they'll price match, but I'm not sure they'll factor sales tax in. It's worth a shot at least.

they will not factor sales tax in. theyll matach and thats it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
they will not factor sales tax in. theyll matach and thats it.

It would be rather odd for them to factor in the sales tax anyway, since you're supposed to pay sales tax (or "use tax" as they generally term it) when you buy online. It's just that out-of-state retailers don't have to handle collection of the tax the way in-state retailers do.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?