Anyone know a good wattage amp i could use to play with about 100 people listening
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
Depends on the size of the room and if you're going to use tube or SS, and a full band setup or solo?

If you have a PA you could always mic the amp up, then wattage doesn't really matter much.
50 watts. Hopefully you're using tube if you're gigging... And yeah can you mic it up? That would be better.
30 Watt tube, 50 watt SS without a full band(may need more depending on everyone else's equipment)

If you mic up, as people have already said, it doesn't matter you could use a micro cube for all you care lol.
Loud enough to be heard over the drummer. Aka, 60-100 ish Solid State, 30-50ish Tube. (Tube amps are about 3 times louder than SS, but 30W is the lower end of standard tube amps.)
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

so tube amps are louder and could i say put a 30 watt head on a 15 watt cabinet or would i blow it out
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by jimmypage577
a full band with say in a an outdoor setting or maybe inside i dont know would this work http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Tweaker-Series-Head-and-Tweaker-112X-Half-Stack-424080-i1527243.gc its a Egnater Tweaker

i think jessie had his mic'd when he plays outdoors. i've used mine in a smaller situation indoors unmic'd without an issue. we weren't playing death metal.
is there anyway i could buy the head and put it on another cabinet
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by jimmypage577
is there anyway i could buy the head and put it on another cabinet

sure. i use an orange 1x12. but you could use a 2x12 or 4x12.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Loud enough to be heard over the drummer. Aka, 60-100 ish Solid State, 30-50ish Tube. (Tube amps are about 3 times louder than SS, but 30W is the lower end of standard tube amps.)

what the hell are you talking about? My 30 watt vypyr makes my drummer seem like a bitch! I play at 3 on the vypyr and it is well on par with my drummer.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Tube amps aren't louder. And they sure as hell aren't three times louder. All they do is continue to distort 12db further than SS, thus giving the impression of being louder. But if ss and tube were measured on a db meter they would read exactly the same.
Quote by adstr123
Tube amps aren't louder. And they sure as hell aren't three times louder. All they do is continue to distort 12db further than SS, thus giving the impression of being louder. But if ss and tube were measured on a db meter they would read exactly the same.

It also has to do with wave dynamics, interaction with the human ear, and speaker efficiency.

Also, yes, it would be exactly the same. But, because tube amps do "appear" louder than SS amps, you can use less tube wattage than you would SS wattage.

And they can appear three times louder. Don't talk off your ass. I use a 15 watt Tweaker for all the gigs my band plays. Works fine. I could never get away with that with a 15 watt SS.

Quote by gregs1020
i think jessie had his mic'd when he plays outdoors. i've used mine in a smaller situation indoors unmic'd without an issue. we weren't playing death metal.

Yeah, we have our amps mic'd all the time.

BUT, I have used it unmic'd in several situations and it worked just fine. Gigs of about 100-150 people it'll do fine unmic'd. One venue that held about 100, I never got it past 11 o'clock.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Darkflame
^as long as the ohms and watts match, sure

Correction, the watts of the cab/amp don't have to match. The wattage in the speaker cab should preferably be higher than the wattage of the amp. I have a 60W amp and us a 75W (I think) speaker. Both 16ohm.
Quote by adstr123

Yeah, but human ears aren't db meters. They can seem much louder to the human ear, and when you're playing for people, that's what matters, not what a db meter says. Think about what you're saying before you say it.

TS, I'd say 50W tube if you're not mic'd. 100W for a solid state. The more people you play with in the band, the more volume you need.

When I play with just a drummer in a garage, a 75W solid state has to be turned up at least halfway to be heard over him. At that point, the amp started sounding like ass. Tube amps are better for multiple reasons. While tube amps start to sound like ass at higher volumes, tube amps start to sound better at high volumes. Also, tube amps sound a lot louder than SS amps, and so you don't need as much wattage.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by adstr123

Not this argument again

Tube amps are alot louder than SS amps. ALOT

I played SS amps up to 120 watts extensively in the past, and a 120 watt tube amp is louder on 2 than the cranked SS amps could ever dream of being.
@offworld, I am thinking before I speak, clearly much more than you. Learn to read, the guy said "they are louder". They are not louder. I stated they weren't louder. The end. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And @stratman, I'm pretty sure they can't seem three times louder. If they only distort 12db more, then yes they seem louder, but not three times louder than an ss amp. Try it out, and you'll see. Don't "talk off your ass" without trying stuff first, mate.
Quote by adstr123
Don't "talk off your ass" without trying stuff first, mate.

i thought only jim carey did that?

old argument is old.
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
18 Tube watts would do it.

I was gonna be all like "mmmm Dr. Z " when I saw your sig and then I was like "Dr. Z ".
Quote by adstr123

Idk much about waves or sound perception, but I used a 100 Watt SS in an old band I was in and the singer used a 15 Watt tube and could be heard, not as loud as the guitar, bass, or drummer, but it was still loud enough to be heard.

But apparently it just "appears" louder. Again, I don't really know about this but to me it's louder lol
Quote by adstr123
@offworld, I am thinking before I speak, clearly much more than you. Learn to read, the guy said "they are louder". They are not louder. I stated they weren't louder. The end. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And @stratman, I'm pretty sure they can't seem three times louder. If they only distort 12db more, then yes they seem louder, but not three times louder than an ss amp. Try it out, and you'll see. Don't "talk off your ass" without trying stuff first, mate.

12dB is a LOT louder. The scale is logarithmic. Very significant difference. Every increase of 10dB is a doubling in volume. So +12dB of distorion would give the impression of a 2-3 fold increase of volume. He's right.

For TS, if you're mic'd wattage is pretty much negligable. I've played 15W unmic'd tube amps with full bands before. My friend uses a small unmic'd Blues Junior for 300-400 person shows when we play jazz with a legit big-band. You'd be surprised at how little wattage you actually need.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Last edited by Karlboy at Sep 1, 2010,
While tube amps start to sound like ass at higher volumes, tube amps start to sound better at high volumes.

FAIL hahaha

but on subject i would say it depends on the room and acoustics and you could always mic it, and really you get a different sound from different sized amps so micing it would be a better idea imo.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Quote by adstr123

Considering there's math to prove it, I don't think I'm talking off my ass.

Maybe you should think and research, or at least have an idea of what you're talking about, before posting.

Also, I'm voting for a lock before this thread gets out of hand with another "tube vs ss" volume argument.

Where did I put that dead horse smiley...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Darkflame
^as long as the ohms and watts match, sure

actually, that only applies for tube amps

with solid state you can mismatch ohms as much as you want usually - of course there are limitations and if an amp says "minimum load 4 ohms" it's probably best not to push your luck

when you're playing gigs you just need an amp that you will be able to hear clearly when played with the drum kit - since the drummer is the one without the volume control, the drummer dictates the volume you should play at. Usually a 30 watt tube amp is loud enough to compete with any drummer and if you have too much wattage you're not gonna be able to get the power tubes working as hard as they should, but if you're thinking about solid state, there's no harm in getting more wattage than you need because the tone doesn't really change at any volume, and you just want to avoid output stage distortion.

edit: ^both of my 30 watt tube amps are louder than both my 100 watt solid states... a lot louder.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 1, 2010,
its coming jessie!

hopefully.

also tube watts are physically bigger than ss watts. fact.
I absolutely love these Tube Vs SS threads.....everyone knows tube is better...
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
75w ss
Eastwood LA125EQ

_________
Crybaby Wah Standard
Boss SuperChorus

Voodoo Chile )
TS - you sure have a way of creating controversial threads

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354577

Luckily, I don't consider you a troll - just trying to learn.......right?

Tweaker is cool but not sure about gigging so take Jesse's (Stratman) advice. What kind of music do you play?
Quote by grungebaby
FAIL hahaha

You know what I meant.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
well i play alot of led zeppelin and jimi hendrix and i don't have the money for an really expenisve amp
Luckily, I don't consider you a troll - just trying to learn.......right?
yes im really trying to learn so i dont make a stupid decision right away
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Karlboy
12dB is a LOT louder. The scale is logarithmic. Very significant difference. Every increase of 10dB is a doubling in volume. So +12dB of distorion would give the impression of a 2-3 fold increase of volume. He's right.

Just to point a small thing out. Every 3 dB is a increase of about 2 fold. 1,995 actually.
Don't know much about amps apart from that though.. but 12dB is a pretty big increase (16 times technically speaking. Of course that sounds more than you'd actually think the increase is if you hear it).
Quote by Jace_ts
Just to point a small thing out. Every 3 dB is a increase of about 2 fold. 1,995 actually.
Don't know much about amps apart from that though.. but 12dB is a pretty big increase (16 times technically speaking. Of course that sounds more than you'd actually think the increase is if you hear it).

Correct. That was my bad man. I keep thinking base 10 scales are a 2-fold increase every 10 units. Thanks for pointing that out. But it proves my point even further in this case anyway.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)