Hey guys,

This might get a little long, but just bear with me. This isn't The Pit, so please no TLR's, if you don't find it interesting, or find it too long winded, don't post, thank you.

I've been screwing around with open tunings, and after a short while, I realised I liked them more than standard EADGBe for acoustic.

For while now, my main gigging acoustic has been set in open D (DADF#AD) or D modal (changing the F# to a G) for gigs, and from playing and writing almost exclusively in these tunings for about 3 months, I've begun to notice the actual reasons behind why I like them so much.

When one plays a G in standard tuning, to my ears, that sounds dull, uninteresting.

Why?

Because its the same voicing that everyone and their mothers use. The different voicings of chords makes open tunings so interesting to use, for the sheer fact that they can convert a boring, run of the mill, 3 chord tune into something really different to listen to, yet familiar to the ears of the listener. Does anyone else find this?

This brings me to my next point, or should I say, inquiry.

Another reason why open tunings really appeal to me, is the ability to arrange songs, with a steady progression and a melody line, into a one-guitar piece, with relative ease, especially if the song uses a typical chord progression for the key of the open tuning (such as D, G, A for open D, which are easy to finger, and play melody over the top).

Just wondering if, like me, there are people out there who really appreciate the feeling that an open tuning gives, and if like me, the different chord voicings and ability to arrange classic songs for a single guitar really make you excited, post away

Thanks to those who take the time to read this, and I hope any other open tuning enthusiasts reading this will post their views.

Regards,

Bryn

xxx
Jimmy Page liked this as well if I remember correctly. I use them too, but not very often
I'm new to open tuning. I just started because i got a banjo and fell in love with it. So far, i've only used DADGAD, but i intend to experiment with others. I also think it sounds unique compared to standard EADGBE chords. I tried learning new chords, but nothing was really appealling, but I love open tuning.
Working out new chord variations is one of the most exciting parts, I recently found that a standard E chord, fingered in DADF#AD makes a really ncie variation on Em, I think its Em11, but I can't be certain.

What does everyone love about open tunings?
I'm a huge fan of the style for exactly the reasons you posted - the voicings are 'odd', and the ability to play rhythm and melody simultaneously is a major boon.

That said, you can still do some interesting things with the standard tuning, but I would be curious to see how someone's tone would be affected if they learned to play in a non-standard one!
Few months ago when I discovered open tunings (By listening to the goo goo dolls and john butler a lot) i was crazy about them, I arranged my favorite songs into open tunings to make them sound more fit for an acoustic set or something and I wrote some of my own stuff too. I'm not that crazy bout them now as I play in standard more often but I still appreciated what they have to offer in terms of percussive guitar and very beefy chord progressions. I really like open C# Modal which is C#G#C#G#C#C# which is a tuning goo goo dolls use sometimes and it sounds great, try it if you havent yet! You could just flatten those notes too to get CGCGCC which would be less risky for string breakage but it's up to you.
Quote by Torn_Asunder
Few months ago when I discovered open tunings (By listening to the goo goo dolls and john butler a lot) i was crazy about them, I arranged my favorite songs into open tunings to make them sound more fit for an acoustic set or something and I wrote some of my own stuff too. I'm not that crazy bout them now as I play in standard more often but I still appreciated what they have to offer in terms of percussive guitar and very beefy chord progressions. I really like open C# Modal which is C#G#C#G#C#C# which is a tuning goo goo dolls use sometimes and it sounds great, try it if you havent yet! You could just flatten those notes too to get CGCGCC which would be less risky for string breakage but it's up to you.

Nice one man, maybe I'll get over the initial rush of difference, and go back to standard, but its a great thing to occupy myself with, musically.

I have used C# modal before, when I first discovered it, I would post in pretty much every thread on open tunings on here, telling people to try it. Its a great tuning, because pretty much everything you play is either in key, or dissonant to a usable degree, and I have a guitar permanantly set up in the tuning, though it rarely gets play time, haha.