Does such a thing exist? I know some of the older Ibanez Destroyers were 25.5 inch scale, but they're really expensive. I'm thinking about making my next custom build an explorer, but I wanna try it out for a few weeks first. Any sub $500 dollar explorers that are 25 or 25.5 inch scale? I'm highly against 24.75 and that's what most explorers I've found seem to be.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
That's like kelly star-ish, not really an explorer persay. And considering the monster explorer I'm gonna have built for around $1400, this one for $1000 isn't too appealing. Nice to know that there are some out there though! Any other suggestions?
The Dean Mustaine signature explorer is 25.5" scale. but its also a dean.......
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
As if those 0.75 inches would make such a hughe diffrence! *Oh my, I can't play on those almost identical but smaller frets...*

Use a higher string gauge and get used to the scale length!
I didn't ask for your opinion of my scale preference. I prefer 25 and 25.5 because the 24.75 inch scale never intonates properly to my ears. If open chords are in tune, barre chords are not, etc. It just never sounds right. So, I prefer 25 and 25.5. The guy who builds most of my guitars says the same thing. It's the reason he hasn't played his Gibson LP in 16 years.

Some may disagree with this, but I experienced it firsthand. I bought 3-4 different 24.75 scale guitars over time and each one had this issue.
Quote by RBM01991
A Carvin V220 maybe? you already own an Ultra V, so why not?

As much as i love Carvin i just don't like that shape, too funky for me.
Quote by CustomAxe
As much as i love Carvin i just don't like that shape, too funky for me.

mmm, understood, you could try Warmoth and see if they'll do a custom one for ya, that should be under 1k, some assembly is required though.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by CustomAxe
I didn't ask for your opinion of my scale preference. I prefer 25 and 25.5 because the 24.75 inch scale never intonates properly to my ears. If open chords are in tune, barre chords are not, etc. It just never sounds right. So, I prefer 25 and 25.5. The guy who builds most of my guitars says the same thing. It's the reason he hasn't played his Gibson LP in 16 years.

Some may disagree with this, but I experienced it firsthand. I bought 3-4 different 24.75 scale guitars over time and each one had this issue.

I have this issue with all 24.75" guitfiddles as well. My old PRS on the other hand never had this problem.

Anyway, 25" is uncommon as it is - the only makers I can think of off the top of my head are Carvin and PRS. As for 25.5"... you mention the Ibanez Destroyer. Well, there's the somewhat more recent Ibanez DT770 which also has a 25.5". It's a tad more than $500 though.
Quote by RBM01991
mmm, understood, you could try Warmoth and see if they'll do a custom one for ya, that should be under 1k, some assembly is required though.

A good suggestion but unless I'm misreading the OP he's already planning on doing exactly that (though not necessarily with Warmoth). He's just after something to get used to Explorers.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 31, 2010,
Warmoth is the way to go.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
As if those 0.75 inches would make such a hughe diffrence! *Oh my, I can't play on those almost identical but smaller frets...*

Some people like longer scales, some shorter.

If someone insists on a 24" or 24.75" or a 25" or 25.5" or whatever, so be it.

Anyways, I think Krammer might have a 25.5" Explorer... I might be thinking of a 25.5" LP though.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 31, 2010,
If you're in America, there is an Explorer copy at Rondo that is 25.25".

http://www.rondomusic.com/EG2BOBK.HTML
http://www.rondomusic.com/eg2botwr.html

Quote by EyeHatePunks

It actually does make a big difference. I can't stand the way 24.75" scale guitars feel, and that's why I stay away from them.

If it didn't matter, then there wouldn't be multiple scales, would there?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by EyeHatePunks

It actually does. A 25.5 scale will never sound or feel like a real Explorer.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I don't want it to, lol. The inherent problems in the 24.75 scale keep me away.

FlyingCouch had it nailed...I just want a cheap explorer to mess with for a few weeks to see if i wanna go ahead with my custom project. I work with a private luthier who builds most of my guitars, so warmoth would be unnecessary. here's the latest one I designed and had built by him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fguzl0bSFxA

But yeah, Kramer does have a 25 inch explorer from what I've found. It's a bit hard to find but I think that might work for me.
Yep, that's the one that was referred to before. Gotta check it out, looks good. I just finished planning out the specs for my custom explorer, so hopefully it all works out
Quoted from my first post: "any sub-$500 dollar explorers that are 25 or 25.5 inch scale".
+1 to the guy who said Dave Mustaine's new sig. The Zero looks bitchin, and it's a 25.5 with 24 frets too
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
+1 to the guy who said Dave Mustaine's new sig. The Zero looks bitchin, and it's a 25.5 with 24 frets too

It's also $1000, which is double the amount I said I wanna spend. I don't understand why people can't be bothered to actually read someone's question before answering it lol.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by CustomAxe

Sorry but no guitars intonate perfectly.

Unless you get the mad looking ones with the fanned frets.

But i doubt even then they intonate perfectly.

Why exactly would scale length affect how well a guitar intonates anyway? Not saying it doesnt, but i personally dont see why itd make a difference.