Ok, I'm looking to upgrade my amp, and had already decided on the Fender Super Champ, but then my friend showed me his Peavey. Wow the 75W makes a big difference than the 15W I have now. I love being able to tweak every little tone on it, all the effects, and that it has a loop recorder built in.

I really have been looking for an amp that has solid, clear, non toneless/fuzzy distortion like my Peavey Vypyr 15W. The 75W does a way better job at keep it not very fuzzy but it doesn't do it perfectly, and it still sounds somewhat "toneless". But I still really like this amp because of how many choices you can have for it, and it doesn't sound like crap like my 15W does....

The Fender Super Champ is a bit different because it is a Tube Combo Amp. It plays distortion much nicer (especially with a pedal), and has tone to it, but lacks Mid EQ adjustments, and all of those effects and choices.

Also, there is a Fender Cyber Champ (65W), which I find extremely hard to find used for my $300 budget, If I could find it, I might prefer it over both amps above (even though it isn't a tube). I really don't know where I would find a Cyber Champ though. They are even scarce on eBay!

So which amp would more experienced played assume to have the clearest high gain distortion with the most tone? I'm really looking to find a Cyber Champ, but would it be better to go for the small tube?

Thanks, just a beginner asking for some quick advice.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Go tube dude, every time. No SS in the world beats a tube amp. There isn't much on the market in the $300 range for tube amps, but if you found one go for it. As you become a more experienced player you'll likely find that you don't need all those effects anyways.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Go tube dude, every time. No SS in the world beats a tube amp. There isn't much on the market in the $300 range for tube amps, but if you found one go for it. As you become a more experienced player you'll likely find that you don't need all those effects anyways.

prepare to be flamed
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Go tube dude, every time. No SS in the world beats a tube amp.

Ampeg VH140C vs. B-52 AT100
Your argument is now null and void.

The Super Champ isn't going to get you into high gain territory unless you use a good distortion pedal on the clean channel.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
the super champ has this one amp voicing that had a decent amount gain

good for like post hardcore and punk music

not quite into death metal territory but still

i would get it

i have that same Peavey and its a good amp but it has waaayyyy to many features imo

the super champ will also probably sound better cranked
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
Quote by justinb904
The Super Champ isn't going to get you into high gain territory unless you use a good distortion pedal on the clean channel.

Yes I know, I was planning to invest on a Boss MD-2 or another nice $100 Distortion Pedal.

No one really thinks the Cyber Champ would be a good option? It has banks to store settings on, and lots of good features! Does the tube really make that much difference? Wow... cool.
get the Peavey Vypyr 60W <Tube Amp>
It's better than the 75W one. trust me.

But if you're in it for all the amp channels/effects, get the vypyr.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Quote by Danjo's Guitar

Ignant statement is ignant.

Peavey Vypyr 75w combo seems to fit your price range and can do high gain shit no problem.

If you're going used you might be able to find a cheap tube combo somewhere and put a dist pedal in front of it, but I doubt you'll find anything good.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Ok, well now I've got people telling me that the Vypyr is better. Ha, well I'm not getting a 60W Tube, too loud, I won't be able to get the best out of it. Has anyone evem checked out the Cyber Champ?
http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/2290300000d-464aa5fe8f6dd1ad8a91de931e467e4b.jpg
Hmm maybe it's not as great?
Read this if you are interest in the Cyber Champ vs Super CHamp XD.

http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Frugal.aspx?Issue=11&Page=Fender Showdown - Cyber Champ vs Super Champ XD

I don't agree that the Vypyr 75 is better than the SCXD. But you have to weight the advantages of each to say which is more appropriate. The 75 is going to be a louder amp. The 75 also has the option of the Sampera floorboard and a fuller set of FX.

IMO the tone of the Vypyr for metal is good and cleans are decent. But the low to less than metal gain tones are grainy sounding. The SCXD will give you true Fender cleans and much better sounding gain tones. It does a good job with Marshall gain and has an excellent acoustic amp model. But isn't voiced all that great for metal evern though it has high gain voices.

The speaker in the SCXD is good for home practice levels, but falls short when you crank it. So an ext cab or speaker replacement is in order if you plan to play at high volume levels. The built in FX are good if you just want some reverb, chorus, or delay.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 1, 2010,
Yeah I don't plan to play at very high volumes, and won't be gigging with it. I think I'm now preferring the Super Champ over the Cyber Champ, but still unsure about the Peavey... guess I'll just have to go around an experiment with the amps.
what do you play? for blues and such i'd have to say the champ, i can't really say how it would fair for metal. but i do know that with the vypyr the louder you turn it up the more of its tone will be sucked and its the opposite for the champ. so just my 2 cents

i also forgot if your looking for kind of a crunch or a smooth light distortion the vypyr isn't too good with either of those, it either does rough light distortion or smooth high gain. imo of course
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Last edited by grungebaby at Sep 1, 2010,
Yeah about the "clear" distortion, what I mean by that, is the hum of the amp when you aren't playing anything, and your fingers are not on the guitar strings, that is SO annoying because it shows up when you are in the middle of playing too. Don't say that that is the guitars fault, because I have humbuckers on mine, plus, I've tried some really good guitars with excellent pickups on my amp before with the same problem. But seriously that is the main reason I am getting a new amp (and the fact that I want more tone), this is really important to me.

I do tend to play a bit of everything (or would like too), but 50% of what I play is Hard Rock and Light Metal to Hard Metal. Which is why I'd get a distortion pedal with the Super Champ.

If I get the Super Champ I will probably keep my 15W Peavey so I can still have all those effects and stuff if I ever need it. (Or get that Roland Micro Cube I've always wanted, and sell the Peavey...)
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Sep 1, 2010,
its not the amps fault really, thats normal for all amps and guitars, just keep your hand on your bridge or some metal part of it. but i have a vypyr too and i hate it to no end because i play a lot of blues and music that takes putting feeling into it and with the vypyr its just like its dead. and if your getting pedals/have pedals then def. get the super champ, tube is so much better.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Found a Fender Cyber Deluxe for $300 on Craigslist!? Would that be better than the Champ even though it's not tube? It is 65W, so it'll be well loud enough.
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Sep 2, 2010,
The only reason to own a MicroCube is for the battery that allows you to play anywhere. The Vypyr 15 is going to give you more than the Cube plugged in.

I haven't heard anyone comment on owning the Cyber Deluxe, but it looks like a cool amp. I've never seen them in the store. That should give you a reason to ask the seller if you can try it out. When I sell on CL, I generally like people to know if they want an item before coming over. But if there is no store that carries it I would accept that as a reason to try it before deciding.

The SCXD is a very versatile amp. The clean channel makes a good pedal platform. And the voices cover virtually everything falling a bit short only with Metal. And not being a big Metal fan I probably couldn't give a good opinion on that. But I'm sure that you could fix any shortcoming their with a pedal.

However, if you are really focused on metal there are probably better choices. I'm thinking you aren't because I haven't really heard you comment on how well you think the Vypyr does Metal.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Found a Fender Cyber Deluxe for $300 on Craigslist!? Would that be better than the Champ even though it's not tube? It is 65W, so it'll be well loud enough.

"Virtual tone"? I would not purchase a SS Fender.... just saying.

This is my opinion-- as a SCXD owner. I have paid more for one pedal than the Vypyr 30W costs--- with all of its "bells and whistles." Of course the SCXD is not that much more expensive, but it also is not as far-reaching in its aim. I have never seen/heard a great sounding, cheap solid state amp. Of course, much of this is a matter of taste, and if you like the Vypyr sound, I won't argue with you. You might hate the tones of the SCXD.

I generally like the SCXD-- but will point out all of its short-comings: of the voices, maybe a third of them are usable, and I find myself using only two of them with any regularity (I run direct-- no pedals). The effects are just enough to keep practice interesting-- I only use the delay and reverb side- not interested in chorus, vibrato, etc... but these are not effects that can be fine-tuned. On the other hand, I have paid more for a decent reverb plug-in for the DAW than I paid for the amp.... so it is all relative.

There is no mid-EQ, as has been pointed out.

There are no headphone outs (rare on any amp with any sort of tubes)-- but I have never heard a great tone through headphones or direct outs on any amp. If recording, it seems that it is always best to push some air around.

I would go with the Fender SCXD if presented with the choice. I would buy it again. I can get decent tones out of mine. Years ago I had a modded Fender Twin that offered inconsistent performance, and I struggled with a Marshall head in another set-up that just didn't agree with any of my gear. The SCXD is a simply solution that simply works.
I'll add a comment on the shortcomings of the voices. I think that a lot of people will gravitate to a couple of them. I use #9 a lot. Both 8 and 9 are Marshall voiced. #9 is brighter and works well with humbucker pickups, which is what I normally play. #8 is darker and works better with single coils. So I don't view the fact that I don't use both as a shortcoming, but as a nod towards accomodating different setups and styles.

#16 is an Acoustasonic model that sounds fantastic with the piezo pup on one of my guitars. So it's like getting an acoustic amp as a bonus. Not sure if any other electric amp offers that.

The FX are very basic. But if you aren't trying to get psychedelic, shoegazy, or get an exact tap tempo timing you can probably dial in something that's satisfying.
Fly, that's the reason I want a Micro Cube too, IMO best portable amp on the market.

Alright, I guess I've decided to go for Tube, instead of the Solid State Cyber Deluxe. So maybe I'd keep my Peavey for messing around and having fun with effects and models, because the most I'd get out of a Peavey 15W is at max $70, and I doubt anyone would buy it for that. Plus after a while I think I'd upgrade the speaker on the Peavey so I don't feel like it's just trash laying around the house.

Oh, and by the way, I figured out the incredibly annoying hum reduced a lot when I got my guitar fixed up (nut broke/frets out of place). I noticed he did work on the pickups, they must have been lose/out of place or something was wrong in the wiring. I find that I'm not hating my Peavey anymore, but am also finding that if I already have a Peavey that sounds ok, why buy a bigger one when I'm just using it at home? Besides the extra effects, I don't need it.

So eventually I'll have a Peavey Vypyr 15W, and a Fender Super Champ + Pedal, sounds good? Best of both worlds.

Now... what distortion pedals are there for under $100 (Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve?). Meh, I wont try to find that until I have the amp. :P
Yeah, that's why I like MicroCube. I take my Cube and a cheap guitar out on the boat. I also have a Vypyr 15 and made a new baffle board for a 10" speaker. It definitely made a difference in the sound. Although I switched it back to stock because the speaker was temporarily robbed from another amp. If I ever upgrade the speaker in my SCXD I'll put the XD's orig in the Vypyr.

I also mainly keep the Vypyr because I can't imagine getting more than abouyt $60 for it. Seems worth keeping around for that much money.

Best deal on a distortion pedal is a used Jekyll & Hyde (IMO). eBay search shows this...

BIN $66 free shipping....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jekyll-Hyde-Overdrive-Distortion-/330467503991?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cf165ef77
You sir are the wisest guitar expert on this forum. I'm serious man you're a lot of great help. And that is one heck of a Distortion Pedal. It's true bypass of course right?
Thanks, and no I don't believe it's true bypass. I never even gave that a thought until you mentioned it. I frequently check my tone direct against my pedalboard and the J&H has never caused any tone suck problems.
Hm... The Digitech I mentioned is true bypass... I would hate to get the J&H and find it does suck my tone, without being able to get a refund.
Don't put too much stock in the true-bypass bandwagon. The problem isn't whether a pedal is true-bypass or not, it's whether it's a tonesucker. And the J&H isn't. In some cases a buffered pedal can help prevent tone suckage problems in pedals down the chain. A pedal can suck tone because the buffer isn't unity gain and doesn't have a transparent eq, or it can suck tone because it's still a parallel load on the guitar pups when in bypass.

IIRC the Digitech Hardwire is not true bypass, but "hard wire" bypass. That means it's input still loads the circuit in parallel with the signal when bypassed. However, I can't say whether the load is significant. If my recollection is wrong, someone will correct me.

It's a complex issue that's best handled by understanding the fundamentals and taking care to check your pedal chain occasionally against a direct connection to the amp.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 2, 2010,
Alright, thanks for the advice, and is there a difference in the J&H V2 and V2JH? Because the JH seems to be more expensive by around $20.
I think I'm liking the sound of the older V2 better, not the current one. The current one sounds almost... muffled? But the newer one sounds better when you have both channels on, and the older on tends to... not sounds as good with both channels on.
The older one is the V1. One issue with that video is that it's impossible to know if the settings are exactly the same. A small increase in loudness or difference in tone settings can make one sound better.