Ok, so I'm putting my Ibanez Rg1570 up for sale in a local music shop soon. It's just not serving my needs of ultra-low tunings that I like, mainly because of the Ibanez floating edge trem, and the fact it's a pain to set up and restring with the massive gauges and tension I like. I will get £420 for my Ibanez, if it sells.
I'm thinking of venturing into the world of 7 strings, mainly because of the fact I'll be able to hit some high notes too, something I can't do with my Ibanez, and because of the suitability of low tunings. I play in drop A.
Can you people please reccomend me some good 7's under £500. £550 would be the maximum I can stretch to. I can't try any out as there are few music shops around where I live, and if they do have a 7, it will be an Ibanez with a floating trem, god help me.
Things I would want:
Fixed bridge
Mahogany body
Mahogany or maple neck
Set neck or neck-thru
25.5 or baritone scale
EMG's or Blackouts

I'm leaning towards the Esp Ltd Viper-417 or the MH-417, any others? I'm slightly dubious of the Ltd quality control.
it seems all you can get in that price range is an Ibanez or a blithering Schecter bolt on with a basswood body. I just don't trust Ibanez. The quality of my Prestige is bad enough, so god only knows how bad the Indonesian Ibanez are. Guess I'm going with a Ltd.
Sure you want a 7? Sounds like a baritone would suite you better.
FYI the mik ltds are brilliant dir the money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Sure you want a 7? Sounds like a baritone would suite you better.
FYI the mik ltds are brilliant dir the money.

I wouldn't mind a baritone, but there is not one in the UK for under £600 that is actually of decent quality. I'm really into getting a 7 atm.
LTD VB 401...

Great guitar for the money,

TBH for £500 unless you go 2nd hand there arent any 7s worth the money really.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
For the price you asking its tough to find something that fits what you are looking for.
Try looking here. rondomusic.com they have some really good baritones in your price range that follow the Les Paul and RG shape.
Here is one you might be interested in. http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3000.html they have it in blue too.

They also have good 7 strings but for a fixed bridge with set neck you would have to to pay a bit more.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Darkdevil725
For the price you asking its tough to find something that fits what you are looking for.
Try looking here. rondomusic.com they have some really good baritones in your price range that follow the Les Paul and RG shape.
Here is one you might be interested in. http://www.rondomusic.com/ag3000tribalred.html they have it in blue too.

Thats not a bari or 7....?

Also if he is using "£" he wont be looking at agile as after importing, tax and courier costs even more reasonably priced agiles go massively over bugdet.

Go ERG and go Baritone

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Thats not a bari or 7....?

Also if he is using "£" he wont be looking at agile as after importing, tax and courier costs even more reasonably priced agiles go massively over bugdet.

I didnt realize I wasnt baritome, they have it sitting right next to the baritomes and I misclicked it.
Hmm I am very tempted now to get the VB-401 and the Viper 417. I have a while to decide which one to get though, and I can't afford both.
I'll post an NGD when I get one of them. It'll be a while before my Ibanez is sold though.
Last edited by Trve_Satan at Aug 31, 2010,
unfortunatley hellraisers are too much money as nice as they are. The H-307 looks nice, but I can't get it anywhere new and I don't want to buy used. Mabye I'll pick up one used off ebay next year.
Quote by Ippon
Interested in the Schecter Hellraiser (baritone) or LTD H307 with EMG 707s? Both are set neck.

The H307 is a pretty rare guitar and is actually VERY desirable to LTD 7 string lovers :-D
I'd love an H307 *drool*... that is if I didn't just purchase an EC-1000, now i have no money, lol.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Aug 31, 2010,
If you don't want to buy used and your budget is £500 then you're screwed. There aren't any good seven string guitars that can be had for udner £500 new, the closest would be the LTDs which are £700 or so new. Seven strings always cost considerably more than their six string counterparts, it's just a fact of the instrument and something you need to take into account and get used to if you're hell-bent on using a seven string guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks guys for your help. I'm either going for the Viper 7 or the Viper Baritone, both of which I can get for around £530.