Page 1 of 4
Hi,
I'm looking for my sound for a long time.
I don't listen ac dc, but i love their guitar sound, also the jet sound.
The way to get this sound is a Marshall 1974x.
But i can't afford the 1500€ because i'm just 14.
I play most times oasis, kasabian, arctic monkeys, jet...
I heard that the orange tiny terror and a greenback cab can get the 60' marshall sound.
I also like the sound of noel's fender blues junior cranked live.
Maybe an AC 30 would be an opinion too.
So my opinions are marshall 1974x, Orange Tiny terror (greenbacks), fender blues jr. and vox ac 30.
Budget is around 1000€.
Should i save for the marshall?
Are the 15watt TT enough for live?
Which amp would you take and with which one do i get the ac dc, jet marshall sound?
Get a job, buy the Marshall.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

if your really that intent on getting the sound i suggest you save for it, i would go for the line 6 pod x3 live if i was you though, it is a multi effects pedal that has AMAZING amp modelling, i don't care what people think of them, they sound so close to the originals it's not even funny, look it up and go try one if you can. But do not get an ac30, they have almost NO distortion, i've never been a fan of orange either but i think one would do well. To be honest you won't get that true marshall sound other than the real thing, i think the closest thing is the line 6's amp modelling... what i'd do is get the pedal and buy a crap head with an effects loop, a good used cab, and then you use the power amp of the head (by plugging into the return of the heads effects loop) and there you have it... Or you could get a job.
Last edited by maowcat at Aug 31, 2010,
An Orange AD30 has some awesome crunch on it. But maybe look at a Valvepower 18W clone. They sound awesome and are pretty cheap.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Min (AcousticMirror) just picked up 3 1974Xs. He chained them all together to get this:

Marshall!

Try getting that with a POD.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 31, 2010,
really how long will it take you to save 500 more? if you have 1000 and you need 1500 for the head just save up 500. It will be wroth it in the end. Plus are you in a rush to get a new amp?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Ok, thanks first for your answers.
I don't like those pods, boss...
A friend has the boss gt 10 and i tried it and didn't like the overdriven sound.

There are no Job's for a 14 year old in austria.
I could save the 500 in one year, but i asked myself if it's worth the money, or if i get the same sound with a tt and greenbacks.
Quote by mmolteratx
Min (AcousticMirror) just picked up 3 1974Xs. He chained them all together to get this:

Marshall!

Did he really do that??

and TS try them out in person. only way you can be sure tbh, we can sit here all day and tell you to get this and that but go try stuff
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Yeah you wont get the same sound with a TT and greenbacks.

Although orange are sometwhat comparable to marshall, the general voicing is much darker and less defined.

If you can get the valvepower where you are go for it.
Otherwise maybe a ceriatone marshall clone?
ceriatone.com
Don't compromise buy getting aTT or Haze. You can get a Ceriatone clone of a 1974x for 638 euros plus the 232 euros for shipping and then any money leftover can be used for a nice speaker. The Ceriatone clone will be the exact same as the 1974x, but handwired on turretboards with high quality parts unlike the Marshall Reissue which is PCB and cheap, not period correct parts.
The Haze is not going to make you happy if you want an 18W Marshall. The 1974 is an absolute classic up there with Plexis and JTMs, the Haze doesn't sound like a classic Marshall in the slightest.
Quite a healthy little community has built up around the 18W Marshall. They are a popular amp to build, partly because they are so simple. The preamp for them makes a Champ look complex; well, apart from the tremelo. I'm building one myself atm.
I think there are a few kits around to do it. I'm making mine from scratch into a non-conventional cabinet so I haven't actually taken much notice of what is available in the way of kits, but I do recall such things being around.
I suggest you go and sign up at http://www.18watt.com and have a good look around. It's a fountain of information on all things 18W Marshally.
Now I know you're only 14 but I started building things around your age. Even if you don't think that building such a thing is in within your abilities (and you are dealing with quite deadly voltages), lots of people do build clones. Go have a poke around 18watt.com.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by SimplyBen
An Orange AD30 has some awesome crunch on it. But maybe look at a Valvepower 18W clone. They sound awesome and are pretty cheap.

new, the ad30 is as expensive as the 1974x lol

edit:
Quote by mmolteratx

Marshall!

wow his playing has improved lol
Last edited by Darkflame at Sep 1, 2010,
Get a ValvePower - http://valvepower.co.uk/

Handwired in England, with a VVR (which is great feature) and they are really great amps.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
also, brownnote makes some nice clones as well as what has been mentioned.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Darkflame
wow his playing has improved lol

Shows what happens when you don't spend all your time trolling in EG :P
Quote by forsaknazrael
Valve Power 18W. Done. I'd rather have it than the Marshall, TBH.

+1, I have one. It's like £350 (+£10 european shipping), which is like 400-450 euro or so (hit up xe to do the conversion, bear in mind your credit card company will take a commission and probably screw you slightly on the exchange rate). You need a cab too, but you'll still be way under budget.

Assuming of course you don't need the tremolo channel- maybe consider e.g. english valve amps if you need the tremolo channel? I think they do one with tremolo (though checking their site, it seems to be based on the watkins dominator- i heard it was pretty close to a marshall 18 watter, but I haven't tried it, and it might not be what you want). Haven't tried it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, i'll look into those valvepower and ceriatone clones.
I don't need a tremolo. The ef84 ceriatone 18 watt looks very interesting because of the ef channel.
Has anyone compared the valvepower with the original marshall?
Last edited by Liam gallagher8 at Sep 1, 2010,
I would not buy the real deal yet. You're still young so your taste in music will change quite a lot so as others mentioned it might be better to get a Pod.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I really don't want such a modeller, and i think i won't change my music style.
I will always hear rock, britpop, indie rock.
Do the valve power and ceriatone clones sound much different to the original?
The ceriatone head without head cabinet is with shipping around 625€ and with cabinet it is 850€.
Last edited by Liam gallagher8 at Sep 1, 2010,
i haven't tried the original marshall. the valvepower sounds like what I'd consider a vintage marshall to sound like, but that might just be in my head, lol. My own gut is that if the circuit is the same, it should sound at least well within the ballpark (and there's a fair chance that both valvepower and ceriatone are using more accurate vintage parts than marshall is, lol). One big advantage which the valvepower has is the VVR- that lets you get cranked tones at low volumes. Ok, it doesn't sound exactly the same as higher volumes, but it's fairly close, and is better than not having the feature at all.

If you want to hear what an ef86 sounds like, blackstar's artisan has an ef86 channel... might be worth a try if you haven't tried it already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lots of nice suggestions in this thread.

Just to throw in some more options, maybe consider a H&K Statesman, the Dual EL84 and Quad EL84 in particular. They're around 800€ or 900€ respectively new, but you can pick them up a bit cheaper sometimes:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Hughes-Kettner-Statesman-Quad-EL84-Combo-/250641845253?pt=Amps&hash=item3a5b6b0c05#ht_1741wt_1137

The new Laney Lionheart L20T also looks interesting:
http://www.thomann.de/at/laney_l20t112_lionheart.htm

Neither will be spot on, but they're decent enough approximations, I think.

You can also look for a used Framus Ruby Riot on ebay, they go for around 1000€, sometimes below. It's more Vox-y than Marshall-y, but it'd work for the music you play.
I think I'll look at the ceriatone 18 watt TMB.
It has instead of the tremolo, a channel with treble middle bass, which is, i think, cleaner than the tone volume channel.
Whith shipping, the head costs me 800€.
And ill get a 2x12 greenback cabinet.
Did anybody compared these 2? i heard a youtube video marshall vs ceriatone and the marshall was way better.
what do you thing?
i'd be very wary of youtube vids.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does the VVR have much of an impact on the overall sound? I'd be scared to corrupt the pure simplicity of an 18W Marshall, it's that extreme simplicity that gives it its charm. Simplest A/B amp ever conceived.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wait. You can't afford the 1500 because you're 14, and yet you have 1000?

Does not compute. Anyways. Get the Ceriatone or the Valve Power. Easily better than the 1974.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Cathbard
Does the VVR have much of an impact on the overall sound? I'd be scared to corrupt the pure simplicity of an 18W Marshall, it's that extreme simplicity that gives it its charm. Simplest A/B amp ever conceived.

Many over at the 18watt forums love the VVR in the 18watter.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Many over at the 18watt forums love the VVR in the 18watter.

Well most of those guys are pretty hard core tone freaks so that says quite a bit really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have no idea, I've only tried mine which already has it installed. It's not perfect, with the VVR up full (i.e. off, so full power) the tone is a bit brighter and more immediate, it's warmer and smoother with the power dialled back a bit. But considering it lets you get overdrive at lower volumes (and what's more, overdrive which definitely sounds and feels like it's power tube-derived), it's worth it to me anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard

Allyn Meyer recommends against it on his Trainwreck clones if you're gonna be playing at full wattage most of the time. He says the tone change is slight but definitely there. I have no experience with it though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by forsaknazrael
A lot of the Trainwreck guys on Amp Garage still use it on their clones and derivatives, though,

Yea, it's definitely useful and practically required if you want a Trainwreck to get some gain and still sound nice at low volumes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by stratman_13
Wait. You can't afford the 1500 because you're 14, and yet you have 1000?

Does not compute. Anyways. Get the Ceriatone or the Valve Power. Easily better than the 1974.

I could afford it if i would wait, but i dont want to pay 1500€ for a 1x12 speaker amp.

If the ceriatone is really as good or even better than the original, it would be better to buy it because i dont need the tremolo and can buy it instead of the tremolo with another channel (should sound a bit like a vox what i heard) and can buy a 2x12 cab and im still much under the 1500€.
Page 1 of 4