Ok so my rhythm guitarist bought a used jcm800 from like 1985 or sometime in the mid 80's, when he got it we noticed one of the tubes was out and everyone except for him though it sounded like crap, but he didn't have a cab so he rented one but now it's gone so he can't use it. Me and my pa opened it up and found that the tube was actually broken and that the glass was seperated from the base of the tube so we took it out, it was a no name brand el34, so i was wondering if we could just replace 1 of the el34's or do we have to replace all 4 of them at once? and is there any guidelines as to what type of el34's we need to put in? like is there any that won't work with his head? And i know that different types of tubes affect the tone. And can i plug that head directly into my pa system?
Last edited by maowcat at Aug 31, 2010,
replace all of the tubes and you can actually find a lot of good advice on youtube on how to replace them.

***edit*** not really sure about the PA thing but my instinct says it wouldn't sound that great

YOUR BEST FRIEND: http://www.groovetubes.com

they have a lot of good info on tubes
Last edited by vjferrara at Aug 31, 2010,
ok thx guys, i assumed you can't plug into the pa that was just kinda random lol, and yeah my dad has groove tubes in his vox and they limit the volume on it so i wouldn't recommend them to my guitarist, since we play unbelievably loud, like holy shit.
Quote by maowcat
my dad has groove tubes in his vox and they limit the volume on it so i wouldn't recommend them to my guitarist, since we play unbelievably loud, like holy shit.

... what?
Quote by vjferrara

YOUR BEST FRIEND: http://www.tubedepot.com/

fixed.

im not sure about the specific model, but you should be able to run it at half power for the time being if you put two tubes in the middle sockets like if an X is an empty socket and an @ is a tube X @ @ X

should get you by till you can get new tubes and wont sound bad, just at half power.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.