Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up some really basic recording gear. I'm pretty lost when it comes to microphones and interfaces and everything so I have no idea what I need. I know I will need a mic, but that is really all I know.

Im thinking a used SM57 or 58. But I have no clue. I honestly have 0 experience with recording.

All help is useful!

Im trying to keep it low budget by the way.

If any other info is needed let me know.

Thanks!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Look up recording packages on guitar centers web site... They have some packages that are decently priced and will get you started for basic stuff. You wouldn't be able to do full production stuff but you'll be able to track your ideas and shit.
And you're going to have questions all along the way... so jump on here and ask. There is usually a few people online that are pretty knowledgable so you should be able to get a timely response from someone.
Quote by shreddymurphy
Look up recording packages on guitar centers web site... They have some packages that are decently priced and will get you started for basic stuff. You wouldn't be able to do full production stuff but you'll be able to track your ideas and shit.

Would some thing cheap like this have everything I need?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-M-Audio-Studio-Pro-3-Monitor---MXL-990-991-Mic-Package-888907-i1471849.gc
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
you'll need an interface and a mic. that should suffice unless you want to get a mic preamp too, but you can make do without one. A 57 is good for pretty much anything as far as doing home demos. If your computer has a firewire port get a firewire interface. If not get a usb interface, you should be able to find a decent one for under $100-150. For monitoring if you have some decent headphones that'll work, i think akg makes a decent pair for 30-40 if you don't. There are downloadable recording programs that will work great too. I think audacity is free, and there are tons of others as well.
Thats so far over my head haha. I know very very little about this stuff.^^

EDIT:

Budget is about 300 bucks. Ill buy used. Nearest major city is Boston. If you were wondering...

Anyways, Im really going to need recommendations on these things.

So far I have a guitar, amp, computer...

Also I have some stereo speakers and some nice computer speakers but Im not sure if those can act as monitors or not.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Aug 31, 2010,
My setup cost about $200usd, excluding the guitar and amp.

Just a tiny Behringer mixer with 2 channels, a tiny Behringer USB interface, and a SM57.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Line 6 Tone Port UX1 and a used Shure SM57 through a free recording program called Reaper would be a great place to get your feet wet. That'd leave you money for a mic stand and some cables as well.
In terms of mics, try and find a Sennheiser E835 over the Shure. There are heaps of reviews on teh interwebz that reckon the Sennheiser wipes the floor with the SM-57. They're the same price too, by the way.
Anybody else have some suggestions? Or are all of these good ones
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Okay I have downloaded Audacity to start, because its the only one I can find thats free. Reaper was free for a 30 day trial then it was 40 dollars. If all goes well I may end up upgrading to that some time.

I think I am going to go with a Shure SM57.

I dont have a 1394 port, so I need a USB interface. Whats the best/cheapest one?

Lastly, do I need monitors or can I just use my computer speakers or some stereo speakers?

Do I need anything else?

EDIT: Did we decide something like this is out? Has a vocal and a guitar mic, stands, cables, and monitors...?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-M-Audio-Studio-Pro-3-Monitor---MXL-990-991-Mic-Package-888907-i1471849.gc

or this one that comes with an interface...?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Phonic-FIREFLY-302-FireWire-Recording-Package-889020-i1472195.gc
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Sep 1, 2010,
You would probably be better off getting stuff separate. Shure SM57 and an interface won't run you too much.

And no, you necessarily need monitors computer speakers or headphones will work fine but obviously there's difference in the sound of a small speaker vs large speaker.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
You would probably be better off getting stuff separate. Shure SM57 and an interface won't run you too much.

And no, you necessarily need monitors computer speakers or headphones will work fine but obviously there's difference in the sound of a small speaker vs large speaker.

Is that all I need? Just an interface and mic?

And I have some large speakers that go with my stereo, could those work?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
In terms of mics, try and find a Sennheiser E835 over the Shure. There are heaps of reviews on teh interwebz that reckon the Sennheiser wipes the floor with the SM-57. They're the same price too, by the way.

Don't believe everything the internet tells you.

Quote by diceksox1809
Is that all I need? Just an interface and mic?

And I have some large speakers that go with my stereo, could those work?

Yup, half decent interface, an SM57 a bit of patience, a good amp + guitar = awesome tones.

Stereo speakers will work, for now. But if you get more into recording and starting learning how to mix, you will need a speaker with a flatter response (studio monitors) at some stage, but they're not essential at the moment.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Sep 1, 2010,
^ Awesome, thanks. What cheap interface do you reccomend? Im going to try and keep that under 100 bucks USD new or used.

EDIT: Ive kind of been assuming all along that the SM57 was a mic that would work well with guitar amps. Was I assuming wrong? If so what should I get?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by chrism3006
Don't believe everything the internet tells you.

Okay, I'll just disregard your opinion then.

But actually, now that I think about it, the Sennheiser was recommended to me by a mate of mine who works in a music store; he recommended it over the Shure. And then I went online and found a lot of positive reviews saying the same thing.